Here are the spoils, which we will now discuss:

Sometimes it seems difficult to get your family to eat healthy. Since I'm on this big "look on the bright side" kick right now, I'll share with you some of what we do around here that works well for us.
Buy as many fruits and veggies as you can realistically eat before they spoil. One of the keys is having a lot of variety... in color, texture, flavor, etc. Here's what we'll eat in the next 2 weeks, along with how we'll eat it:
1. SNACKS: I keep all fresh fruits on the counter in bowls. The kids are welcome to eat anything out there, any time of day (except for a half hour before meal times), without asking for permission. I put dried fruits and nuts in little rubbermaid containers, same rules apply.
On days when I am feeling more motivated, I prep fresh veggies before they come home from school. Or, as you can see in the picture, I buy the pre-cut stuff because sometimes I'm just not interested in making extra effort. Ranch, peanut butter or cream cheese make good dips, and while they're not the healthiest options, let's be honest... they facilitate kids eating veggies.
2. SIDES: We usually have a side salad with our supper, prepared in any number of ways. Just cucumbers or tomatoes with some salt and pepper, olive oil, vinegar, and feta cheese; typical lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, radishes, etc; spinach leaves with chopped pear, some craisins and some cashews. We throw a handful of berries, some dried fruit, or cut up bananas into our cereal or oatmeal at breakfast. If your kids don't like broccoli or radishes, cut them up REALLY small in a salad. When you cut the broccoli, imagine the little ball-thingies on the ends are razor stubble, and you're shaving it. So there are teeny little crumbs of broccoli in your salad, which no one can even taste. And yet, here you are, sneaking vitamins A and C, calcium and fiber right into their little bodies.
3. MAIN DISH: Sometimes I make a mega chef salad, with all the veggies, and some grilled chicken and cubes of cheese. Or a pasta salad, with lots of fresh veggies, some little pieces of meat and cubed cheese. Tomorrow I'm making a zucchini bisque. A half a grapefruit with some whole wheat toast makes a nice breakfast.
4. RANDOM HEALTHY IDEAS: I've heard quinoa is a nutritional powerhouse. I've never made it, but I bought some today. I'm going to give it a try. It's a grain, not a veggie. But we'll see what we can do with it. Also, I buy ground flax seed. Sprinkle it on EVERYTHING! You can't even taste it, and if you throw a couple of tablespoons in your salad, your cereal, oatmeal, sauces, anything you can think of, it will help keep your cholesterol low and provide you with good fiber. Also, herbal tea makes a great, soothing snack. My kids feel like big stuff drinking tea, and with a little honey, it gives us an alternative to the processed sugars found in most fruit juices.

5. OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN YOU HAVE THE MUNCHIES: Man cannot live by veggie alone. At least not this (wo)man. I need crunch and salt. So I buy popcorn (not the kind loaded with fatty oil... natural is best. Kettle corn has a nice sweet/salty flavor to it). Pepperidge Farm is really good about keeping their foods simple. Remember, if an ingredient list is really long, and loaded with things you've never heard of, then it may be best to avoid that product. Try to go with whole grain snacks, with simplified ingredient lists. I think cheese is a good snack, I know vegans disagree. But I pair some cheese with my crunchy snacks, and it's very satisfying.
6. LUNCHBOXES: Most days, I am really disappointed in what our schools offer for hot lunch. My little ones bring their lunch to school about 90% of the time. Mornings are a rush, so convenience is key. There are so many prepackaged options out there... look for the most natural choices. Fruit cups packed in "light syrup" are usually loaded with high fructose corn syrup. Look instead for the ones packed in 100% fruit juice. Unsweetened applesauce is also a good choice. We make sandwiches with lean meats like turkey and chicken breast, on whole grain bread. Whole wheat white works for picky eaters. Juicy juice and Motts make 100% juice boxes, without any sugar.
So there you have it. That's how we do most of our healthy eating around here. I do buy ice cream and a couple packages of cookies; the kids can have dessert every night. A few cookies, or a few scoops of ice cream... I don't want them to feel deprived and then pig out other places. And my dinners are pretty typical... just with lots of extra healthy stuff included. Make no mistake, there are nights where I fail, and the kids make themselves ramen. Or sometimes we have hot dogs. But I'm really trying to keep the menu healthy as much as I can. And the more I do it, the easier it gets.
So this is the bright spot in my day... feeling like I'm an informed shopper, able to provide good nutrition for my family. Who, by the way, are not always a pain in the A.
12 comments:
I finally broke down and forced all my children to eat their broccoli in spite of their disgust for it. A little sea salt and steaming it just right so it's crunchy is the key in our house. Now two of the three claim to actually like it and I'm moving on to zucchini. It's my mission in life: To get them to love the green vegetables. You, however, seem to have already mastered it. I bow at your uber healthy feet.
pretty impressive
My kids actually like broccoli and most veggies. I have a hard time getting them to eat squashes and peppers but I am always working on those.
christie... i cannot say enough about sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper. the chunks are bigger, adding more bursts of flavor to the food. it's such a natural way to enhance flavor!
i'm interested to hear how you & the kids like quinoa...make sure to let us know. and what kinds of tea are you drinking? i'm curious...
that's similar to our eating around here too...just need to be better at eating home as much as possible!
good job mom...
Awesome and inspiring. My kids will eat most veggies raw but aren't wild about cooked broccoli, carrots, etc. (which is just fine with me as long as they're eating them). Roasting them with a little olive oil and sea salt has been successful, though.
Informative and helpful.
I am a big believer in sprinkling flax seed on stuff. It used to be wheat germ, but we've graduated. They have no idea.
I love your salad suggestions. We love green salad, but are getting bored with the same old, same old.
This is a fab post. I am a little jelous of all your gorgeous looking veggies ... due to the Queensland flood crisis we have a really limited supply of fresh fruit and and veggies at the moment. I hope your days away from your husband go quickly for you all.
You are a foodie rock star and I hold you quite high on the foodie pedestal...so this post made me feel better about myself. Although I am not a foodie I am doing lots of the same things. My counter is not as colorful because we don't like that many varieties but the stuff we do like we have lots of it.
BTW...My kids have eaten hot lunch only twice this year...
I loved this. I think that idea about putting the little, "razor stubble" of the broccoli right into the salad is pure genius.
I am going to get some ground flax seed. I love that you can't taste it and can put it on everything.
I am also going to start keeping the fruits and veggies on the countertop. I have them in the fridge...but the easier they are to get to the more likely they are to eat them.
Thanks for this post.
i love u.
we had pork chops tonight. thx.
Love this post. And I have been thinking A LOT about the school lunch thing. It used to be such a major production, that I was in GREAT NEED to simplify my life. That simplification in the lunch department meant writing out a check every other week so Mateo and Sarah can eat lunch at school. Tino REFUSES to eat school lunch because it is so unhealthy.
I am almost at that point in my life where I am ready to add to my plate again and make sure my littles get home lunch. Thanks for the reminder of healthy eating.
Oh yeah, and that kettle corn around our house is like crack. I LIVED on that stuff while I was thesis writing. Thank goodness for the big red bags of kettle corn and for Popcorn, Indiana. My thesis still wouldn't have been written had it not been for kettle corn. (Hence the reason I am the size I am . . . I would "reward" myself with the kettle corn. If I write 1-2 pages or 2-3 pages, then I can get up from the computer and serve myself 1/4 cup of kettle corn. Unfortunately, some days I wrote a lot which resulted in me eating 1/2 bag of the stuff. Oops.
Post a Comment