Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day Eighteen

Wow. Eighteen seems like a lot. Today was nice. Here are the highlights:

We made Annemarie's French Toast Cups for breakfast. Seriously, she's totally right- all the yumminess of French Toast, no messy griddle or trying to get everyone's cooked at the same time. Her Taste Buds blog is loaded with yummy recipes. I can't believe I've missed out on it for TWO YEARS. Where have I been, Annemarie? (Maybe in Witness Protection with your sister...)


We took a little outing to the falls. We haven't seen them since we've moved here, but have heard they were nice. Indeed, they were.



You know what I love? When my kids are enjoyable to be around. When they don't bicker, disobey, or whine. When they just act like nice, pleasant human beings. That was today. Just three nice people sharing the day with me. This picture is funny because there was a guy there with THOUSANDS of dollars of camera equipment, shooting the falls. I was like FINALLY, someone I can hand my camera off to, and count on getting a nice, focused shot.


He focused. Too bad he forgot to check if everyone's face was in the frame. Oh well. I'm sure his pictures of the falls were lovely.





Mika took this picture of Noe and I. I love it. It wasn't posed or anything. Actually, we were getting ready to pose for him, and he happened to snap this. Which is good, because the one that we posed for, he only got about 1/8 of our faces in it.

Since my man has coverage with his phone again, I got to talk to him throughout the day, and lots of texts. And this, of course, is a super highlight of my day.

Last, for those who wanted the zucchini bisque recipe, here it is. I used to eat it in Portugal when I was cold and soaked to the bone. We would stop by the Driggs' house, speak a little English, dry out our socks, warm ourselves, and fill our tummies. I still feel loved when I eat this soup!!
1 cube butter
1 onion, chopped
10 c. unpeeled , sliced zucchini
2 c. chicken broth
1 c. half and half
salt and pepper to taste
1 dash nutmeg (no more)

Simmer squash, butter, onion, and broth until squash is tender. Put through blender. Add cream. Serve hot or cold. Consistency is pleasant and thick. Color is soft jade and its zippy flavor is also excellent cold.

Notes: You can substitute 2 chicken bouillon cubes and 2 c. water for the broth.
For a more lo-cal version, decrease butter and use low fat milk.(which is what I usually do)
I also use a Braun handheld blender right in the pan, so I don't have to pour the hot mixture into the big blender. Much faster, and less mess, plus I don't worry about the hot liquid splashing and burning.

10 comments:

lisamarie said...

Dang. I never had anyone make me any kind of bisque when i was cold and wet. Nor did anyone ever speak english to me. Ever. I think you definitely got the better deal on the mainland.

Snoqualmie Falls? Did you stop at Twin Peaks for the best cherry pie in the country? I'm so sad that not only did I miss out on seeing you, I also missed out on my pie. boo.

Alison Driggs said...

Wow..I feel famous now..my recipe posted on a blog! Actually, not my recipe, but one from a church cookbook my mom gave me a number of years ago. This brought back great memories of Portugal, and how much we always enjoyed feeding the missionaries...so happy to know we made you feel loved because you very much were, and still are!

calibosmom said...

All delicious!

Christie said...

I seriously check Annemarie's cooking blog whenever I don't know what to make for dinner and/or dessert. I am OBSESSED with her lettuce wraps and broccoli/beef stir fry. She is the bomb. Will now have to try those french toast muffin things. YUM.

Annemarie said...

Glad I could help!

That pic of you & Noe is beautiful.

Tristan said...

OMG! I am SO making that bisque! Sounds amazing!!

I love AnneMarie's blog! I have made a few of her recipes. I don't know how I missed out on that french toast cups. Must make those ASAP!

Glad you had a great day!

I adore that photo of you and Noe! It is adorable!

Lauren in GA said...

Annemarie is amazing! Yum!

I really love the idea of using a hand held blender right there in pan. I love faster and less messy.

Does it matter if you use real butter or margerine?

The picture you took of the water and fallen tree is amazing! You take better pictures than the guy that didn't have everyone's face in frame.

I love the one that Mika took of you and Noe. Beautiful.

Clair said...

i'm dying over the pic of you and noe!! so beautiful. you must frame that one!! glad you had a lovely day with the kids. and you are almost through your less-than-a-month-now thingy.

♥Shally said...

Her Lemon Sunshine cookies are a staple at my house. I LOVE HER BLOG!!

18 days!! Woo hoo!!

jessica said...

Clair said exactly what I was going to say! Now I'm off to get that french toast recipe.