
Here's a little dilemma we all face at some point. Today I was in the supermarket, and there was a man in front of me with a bunch of stuff. I only had 7 items. Then there was a man behind me with 3 items. I was waiting paitiently for customer number 1 to finish his transaction. The cashier says to the 3-item guy behind me, "Since you only have a couple things, you can go check out at customer service." Three-item guy says, "Nah, I'm fine thanks." Then the cashier says to me, "Do you mind if he goes ahead of you? He only has three items."
QUANDARY: I DO mind. I only have 7. Really, how much time is it gonna take her to ring up my seven items? Plus, I'm in a rush because Skip is at home cooking enchiladas for us, and waiting on me to return with a forgotten ingredient. So what I really want to say is, "Yes I do mind, actually. It would be ridiculous for him to go ahead of me simply because he has four items more than I do." But what I say, for the sake of not being a supermarket scumbag, is "No problem." The guy says, "No, really, I'm fine right here." The cashier says, "But you only have 3 items." Now I'm annoyed. So I say, "He said he doesn't mind, and I'm in a bit of a rush myself."
SHE ROLLED HER EYES AT ME. Suddenly, I became the cranky customer.
I don't get it.
I cry just watching the commercial. If I get the gist, the first child has some horrible illness, so the parents conceive a 2nd child in hopes of finding a ?bone marrow match? (not sure of the details). The 2nd child spends her life in surgeries and other medical procedures, effectually keeping her sister alive. Then one day, she gets sick of doing it, and sues her parents to claim the rights to her own body. But her sister could die now.
I can't even fathom watching this movie. I can already envision myself vomitting from crying so hard. Does that sound like fun to you? I think not. But I really want to see it. Why is that? Why would I voluntarily subject myself to such sadness?
I don't get it.
That's all.

28 comments:
I don't understand why anyone would want to see a sad movie and cry. I think you want to see it like you want to see a train wreck. Morbid curiousity.
I want an enchilada.
Read the book. It is her best one. Cameron Diaz is so going to stank this flik.
Seriously, WHO is the target audience? I do NOT see movies with hurt or sick or dead kids. Can't handle it.
Everytime Tosh and I see that commercial we nearly vomit ourselves. Seriously. Don't see it. I'm sure it's a touching story but why put yourself through that? You'll be sad for days. It's just not worth it.
And as far as the grocery store lady goes, I would file a complaint. Seriously again. I've decided that rather than insulting people personally, I call their boss and file a complaint. It's the only way they learn. Usually the boss is more objective and unbiased. Unless of course, she was the boss. In that case, let her have it.
I thought you were going to tell another grocery store story.
That movie reminds me of seeing The Bucket List with my mom right after my brother died. Not a bright idea. We were crying so hard that I was gasping for air. It was horrible and hideous and slightly cathartic. Kind of like therapy but cheaper.
Yeah, so I'm with you 100% on the supermarket dilemma. But usually I also have at least two of my three kids with me who are jumping in and out of the cart, climbing the displays, etc. Now wouldn't they want to get me and my rambunctious kids out of there as soon as possible instead of subject everyone else to their naughty supermarket behaviors by letting someone else go AHEAD OF ME?
Or what about when you have two items and some idiot in front of you can't read the sign that says "Express Checkout" and they have twenty-two items but the nice cashier doesn't SAY ANYTHING and goes ahead and checks out the person anyway? Irritating.
First- I have never heard of a cashier pulling a back-of-the-line customer ahead of others in line. What's up with that. What's in it for her? And I'm surprised that you didn't do more than you did. I was hoping for a smack down, you know chick to chick.
Second- The movie. I have way too many confilcted emotions on it. I don't want to see it. Does that make me a wierdo?
Okay, a few thoughts here:
1. Why is the cashier spending so much time re-arranging the check-out line? Seems to me it takes longer to do that than to just actually ring people up in the order in which they are standing. Idiot.
2. I will not be seeing that movie. I did not read the book. I cannot stand having my heart ripped out of my chest more than once a year, and Slumdog Millionaire already did that.
3. I guess I only had two things to say. That is all.
OH I feel your supermarket pain!!
As for my Sister's keeper, I urge you to read the book, it's one of my favorites, it's very thought provoking and I didn't cry, and I cried yesterday saying goodbye to Payton's K+ teacher. Seriously who does that??
I'll go with you to see the movie! I love a good cry. I know my 15 yr old won't go with me. I still embarrass her :)
I always let others go ahead of me, only if i have big cart. I wish you would've said what you wanted to. I'm glad you spoke up. She needs to back off. By the way... was he cute? cause maybe that's where she was going with it!
I'm with Christie...why was the checker lady re-arranging the check out line?!?! I would have reacted the same. At least the guy behind you was nice enough to insist he was fine.
Hadn't heard of this movie yet, but from your description I will not be seeing it. I don't think I could handle it.
Supermarkets Suck Sometimes. Oooh...that was a cool alliteration.
I'm definitely seeing the movie-I loved the book as I do most of Jodi Piccoult's.
weird about the 4 item guy. perhaps he was stalling for some reason. i think you were fine in what you said. he did refuse to go to the other lane and it really isn't the cashier's business to decide who goes first is it?
the movie- sounds terrible. if you are like me you want to watch (or read)something that seems terrible because you are hoping that it turns out to really not be as bad as you thought and to find the silver lining but then often it only gets worse. Sometimes I'll think "surely it is going to get better" and then it gets worse and I become ill. My advice- find out if it ends happy or sad first. If sad, do not put yourself through the turmoil.
Next time stand in her line in the middle of the transaction "remember" that you forgot something and leave to go get it.
Then just walk out of the store and go home while she sits waits. :)
And that movie? It has to have a happy ending, right? RIGHT? I mean they can't just make you cry the whole time for nothing.
I read the book. The ending is so much worse than you could imagine. I'll tell it to you if you want.
Read the book, cried like a baby, loved it! Can't wait for the movie, I am morbid like that. I like a good cry now and then!
Haven't read the book because I think I would just get mad.
I understand the need to cry and such but it is a rental. Plus I have a REALLY hard time with child actors. REALLY, REALLY can't stand most of them. Unless you are talking about the film version of To Kill a Mockingbird (with Gregory Peck). Those kid actors are awesome.
Anyway, I went off there. If you go let me know how it is. I will go and see the chic flick with Sandra Bullock. If I am paying for a movie, it better have a happy ending.
Oy. I'm with everyone else on the movie. I hate movies and shows with sick kids. I can't handle it! And yet, like you, I have morbid curiosity.
I don't get why Celia wants an enchilada.
Paige just made me REALLY not want to see the movie and at the same time want to see it even more. Does that make sense?
Your checkout lady is a beast. I'm with the person who said to file a complaint. Do it. You know you wanna.
Hey! What say we go see "Up" and then go stage a fight in the yucky checker's line and then swing by your house for Skips Famous Enchiladas. Sounds fun.
I feel the same way about this movie...if I watch it and cry so much that I start doing that gagging, choking, shaking crying then I am going to think of you while I puke.
And I let a guy go in front of me at the market the other day. He had one gallon of milk, I had a cart full. If it were 7 vs. 4, I would have done differently. Especially if there are needy enchiladas in the equation.
I can't get while people with tons of stuff get in the speedy checkout when they clearly have more than the allotted number of items in their cart.
You've gotta read the book. Seriously...at the end of every chapter I wanted to journal my feelings so that I wouldn't screw up my kids too bad....and that was when I only had two toddlers!!
...I need to read it again.
Oh, and Robin says go see Up. I agree, but if you are like me you will spend the first 10 minutes crying like a baby, and the last 10 doing the same. It's really cute.
Oh, and if you get frustrated with checkers...don't even try Wal-Mart.
yeah, I won't be reading that book or seeing that movie. No thank you. I'm with Christie. Slumdog Millionaire was hard enough to swallow with all the the kids being tortured.
This Checkout lady is just weird. I would be annoyed too. I don't like people wasting my time.
Celia wants an enchilada because she can't have cake right now.
Supermarkets and I have a special relationship. Never know what kind of excitement you will find there, wacky people, pissy customers and clerks who clearly have too much time on their hands.
WILL NOT be seeing this movie, nor renting it nor Netflixing it. It will remain a secret in my life. I need no more drama or things to cry about.
I can't believe that cashier...the guy said he was fine and seriously...you only had 4 more items! I have never had a cashier say something like that, I have often let someone go ahead of me if I have a lot of things and the person behind me only has a couple, but what bad customer service on their part!
My Sister’s Keeper was a really good book, although the ending was a little too neatly “wrapped up” in my opinion. Not happy mind you, but too perfect. Anyway, I tend to like books and movies that don’t have happy endings…they make me not feel so bad about my life that never seems to go quite as I planned :) …so if you don’t like things like that you might not like this one either.
When we finished our basement we decided to make a theater room. So I NEVER go to the movies anymore.
And um...totally rude cashier!
I know...I want to see it but I don't want to see it either.
I made a bad movie choice right after coming home from the hospital and having to leave Little John there. We rented, "7 Pounds" and I started crying so hard that I almost threw up. Don't watch that movie if you haven't already. What is the matter with me...I should have checked into the subject matter before watching...
I can't believe she rolled her eyes at you! What is the difference to her? He didn't want to move...perhaps she thought he was cute and was trying to catch his attention...Dumb cashier, eye rolling, poo poo head.
I have the book. Jodi Picoult is a great author. Brittany and I have read all her books. I'm not sure if the movie will do the book justice.
I will go see that movie and I will cry openly in the theater like a little girl with a skinned knee.
I am so glad that I don't give a rat's ass anymore what people think of me. If I had a cartload of individually wrapped handiwipes that had to be rung up one at a time, and the guy behind me had one single box of tampons for his wife who was out in the parking lot in dire need and mid-flow, I'd make her stain her drawers while I had my handiwipes swiped one at a time for half an hour by the cranky clerk. I'd text message people while she rang it up, or talk on the phone. When she was done, I'd tell her that I forgot my wallet in the car.
So sorry.
Post a Comment