Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tunesday: Eggplant



or click here

Pardon the boring nature of this "video" clip. Obscure songs are limited in availability.

You may or may not have noticed my URL before. This song is a great song, but quickly became a joke between Skip and I. He has an aversion to vegetables. Corn, uncooked carrots, and green beans are the only ones he'll eat. Oh, and salad. As most of you know, I'm a little different. My life mantra is "Bring on the Produce!"

Anyway. In the early days, I was convinced Skip would come to love veggies as I do if he just had someone to cook them for him in a remarkably appetizing way. So I made this sandwich for him... grilled eggplant, summer squash, zucchini, red peppers and onions. I brushed them with olive oil and minced garlic. Threw them on his grill (GASP! THE CONTAMINATION OF MANHOOD!) and then whipped up an herbed mayonnaise while they cooked. Spread the mayo on a crusty, thick hoagie roll. Added the veggies. Topped with grated parm. I was seriously almost at the height of ecstacy over this sandwich. He took one bite, chewed without actually letting the food touch his tongue, smiled at me with tight lips, and put the sandwich down.

I was shocked and dismayed. A few days later, he played me the song to soothe my broken heart. It's since become a favorite in our house, and instead of forcing him to eat eggplant, we listen to it together and call it good.

The best version is not a live one. Dowload the album cut. It's by Michael Franks. Then go eat your vegetables while you listen. It's a double treat.

12 comments:

HILLARY said...

at least he loves you! sounds like a yummy sandwich to me. do you want some zucchini form my yard? i got tons!

Ilene said...

My mouth is watering. I want the sandwich.

So what processed food has Skip tried to convert you into eating?

The Happy Husband said...

Me thinks my wife protests too much. I eat tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, scallions, green, red, yellow peppers, peas, and beans (including Lima). The fact that I let her put that hideous concoction on my grill in the first place should have been enough to proof my love for her. There is also a song called popsicle toes that we have fun with as well.

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

I have to say, I am not much of a veggie lover myself. But, I think if I had someone to cook them for me like you just described, I would probably eat them.

Lauren in GA said...

Well Skip, you happy husband, you...I really want one of those, "hideous concotion(s)" as you described that scrumptious sounding sandwich.

So...when do we get to hear, "Popsicle Toes"?

Jenibelle said...

Popsicles toes is one of "our" songs!

I HATE, HATE, HATE eggplant, but I did drive an aubergine colored van for six years. Won't eat 'em, but I'll drive a replica of one. It was humbling.

Tristan said...

K I totally need you to make me that sandwich! It sounds AWESOME!

Desi said...

Hilarious … reminds me of a story about my husband and I...only reversed!

I do love veggies...but I'm very picky and I hate mushrooms (eggplant too so I see where Skip is coming from). When my husband and I first got back together he decided that I would love mushrooms if I just had one of his gourmet mushroom burgers (he prefers them over meat because they are much healthier). I choked down probably 4 bites before I just couldn’t do it anymore, but to spare his feelings I told him I was full…he’s never let me live that one down…ha ha ha.

It’s good that you and Skip came to this realization and understanding early…makes everyone much happier :-)

Christie said...

Yeah, my mom made eggplant once. I still don't think I've recovered, and I love me the vegetables.

Props to your good man for giving it a hearty try.

HappyBack said...

Note to my future wife, should she be reading this:

Wanna win my heart forever n ever? No eggplant sandwiches. I'll take a bloody slab of cow ass, please, and I'll eat it with my bare frickin' hands.

You'll kiss me between bites because you'll love me.

jessica said...

Sorry but that sandwich sounds icky to me...but the love you put into would make me try it once.

I'm a picky girl, I only eat certain veggies and unfortunately eggplant is not one of them but I LOVE the color;)

Hazen5 said...

I want Skips leftovers! YUM, come cook for me.