Recently, my posts seem to contain a lot of information about me that people find hard to believe. Some people even think I'm a little weird. I have to wonder if some people are right. Am I actually a little weird? Here are some reasons that I don't fit in with pretty much everyone I know in my life:
10. I don't drink soda.
9. I don't really watch TV. (I do watch LOST, and about every other year I tune in to American Idol.)
8. I dislike going to the movies. Reference earlier post.
7. I don't care for chocolate other than a teeny bite here and there. I maybe eat the equivalent of a Hershey's kiss about once a week. Maybe.
6. I can be pretty funny in blogland, but in real life, I am less entertaining.
5. I don't dig on "stuff." Electronics, gadgets, etc. are just not my thing. I could care less. After the burglary, Skip had a new Blackberry within 6 hours. I am ticked that the old junky phone I found in the drawer actually has a camera on it. Who needs a camera on their phone? How about the Kindle? I would never want that. The iphone? Ridiculously too much stuff on there. I really don't need more than one watch. It just has to tell me the time, not make me look good. I do like the ipod because we can listen to music in our home with it. That's cool.
4. SUV's irritate me, and I feel justified in acting holier-than-thou when I criticize people for owning them. However, we are going to buy one next year. I'm trying to embrace it, because we need room for a family of seven. But I hate the thought of owning one.
3. I almost never go out with girlfriends. Mostly because I have only got one in this town. Maybe if I lived near some of my friends I would go out with them more. But probably only if they wanted to double with me and Skip.
2. I get annoyed with poor spelling and grammar. The other day I had to retake my drivers test (thank you burglar, for stealing my license) and I found no less than nine errors in the manual. It was all I could do not to demand a free pass on my test since I was obviously being tested by IDIOTS.
1. I almost never nap. I can't do it. Between the feeling of wasting my time, and the sluggishness that follows the nap, I just don't find it to be a good activity for me.
The big problem about most of these quirks is that they make me seem like a snob. Like I might not like other people who DO watch a lot of TV. Or who often go to the movies. Or who eat chocolate all the time. Some of these quirks even seem to be a bit condescending. I don't intend them to be. I don't hate people who can't spell well... I just hate the bad spelling. Love the sinner, hate the sin? See? Even that seems judgmental.
I guess the bottom line is that I may be a little weird. But I promise I don't sit around judging everyone for not being as weird as I am. Unless you are the author or editor of the Drivers Manual for my state of residence. Then I judge you harshly.
26 comments:
I get the feeling that you also think that people who overuse exclamation points are ridiculous!!! Am I right?!? I have to chime in and say that I'm not sure how true #6 is. I really liked that impersonation of Napoleon Dynamite's girl friend complete with side ponytail. And then you left, leaving me wanting more. Maybe that was all you had? Well, glad I can enjoy the blogging version of you anyway.
PS- Love the updated kid photos on the sidebar. I bet it was hard to choose!
Even that seems "judgemental". Hello, from one spelling queen to another . . . isn't it "judgmental"? And as for #6 . . . you are really funny. But I haven't been with you enough to know if you are funny in real life. I bet you are though. How could you keep all those one liners and funny comments all cooped up inside your head? Impossible!
Pretty much, I know why we are still friends.
-I don't drink soda.
-I don't watch very much T.V., I do like food network, and we loved Life.
-Not a big chocolate fan. Chocolate chip cookies with like one or two token chocolate chips.
-Umm, I'm not funny in blogland or in person.
-Not big on stuff, but I do like my Apple computer.
-I love my van. It really bugs me when people drive SUV's and they have fewer than 4 children.
-I Don't have any girlfriends. I only go out with friends with Cory on a double date. I am totally satisfied to have Cory as my best friend.
-I think growing up with someone who constantly corrected the grammar thing instills something. SAdie is a bad speller and it drives me insane, but I am trying to deal with it and not hold it against her.
-I Never nap, unless I have just come back from girls camp.
Those 10 facts of wierdness are why I love you. Come on, lets go get some chips and salsa for lunch. Just you and me.
heidi
see, i feel only appreciation for you. it was late, i made a mistake, and i am glad you pointed it out so i could change it.
why doesn't everyone else feel that way when i do the same to them???
Are you calling me weird?
I don't drink soda.
I don't watch TV (Colbert Report sometimes when I am feeling feisty).
I haven't been to a movie theater in 7 years!
I'm not a big chocolate fan.
I'm never funny, at least the YW don't think so:)
I'm not too fond of electronics either, who cares? I know, everyone except me.
I used to be all holier than thou about SUV's, and then I moved up on the side of a mountain and my non-all wheel drive car slid out in the middle of the highway and got stuck, always. Now my SUV is awesome (only in the winter, in the summer I still feel like a heel).
I don't have time to go out with girlfriends, but really I'd love to. Come join me.
Let's just skip the spelling part, OK? There are probably 9 spelling errors in this comment.
I never nap either. Serious time wasting.
I know all of that comes off snobbish so I never tell anyone because I don't want anyone to think I care what they do. Except of course I let everyone know in a comment on the world wide web.
I know why I think you are a sympathetic listener, it's because you can actually understand and not judge. But I did embrace weirdness a long time ago.
I am the complete opposite of probably half of those things on your list...so it's good to know you don't judge/hate me because of it ;-)
Okay, I was willing to overlook the fact that you don't like soda or chocolate...
But, you don't nap?! Oh, that tears it, girl...I am going to have to rethink this whole relationship.
I find it so interesting that you don't think you are entertaining in real life. Case and point...today I must be visiting blogs right behind you because all of your comments are killing me. I find your humor so fantastic. Maybe you are like that comedian Sascha Baron Cohen...I saw an interview about him and several people said he is very low key and kind of boring in every day life.
Not that you are boring...okay...now I am paranoid again.
We are not going to get along. We only have #6 blogging and grammer woes.
I don't watch TV either. Not even Lost, not even American Idol. (Ok I watch the Office, but I watch it on DVD at the end of the season.)
When I eat chocolate I can literally feel the fat on my tongue when I chew it.
I don't give a rat's ass about electronics and am so inept at computers that it's almost embarrassing. When I want a feature on my cell phone reset, I have to hand it to a teenager.
I drive an SUV. My irritation is more for Big Trucks. Like the F-350 jacked up 2 feet off the ground, with nary a splash of mud anywhere on it. Why jack your truck up so high? Because it's cool, right? Nay, my friend... because you are a douchebag.
And lastly, I go out with all the girlfriends that you neglect, so don't feel too bad. Together we balance the Universe in this regard.
I hate reality TV too... except for SYTYCD. And if you don't know what that means, you really are wierd. ;)
You are a weirdo! The strangest person I know. j/k but I love ya cuz you are who you are and you don't care what anyone thinks. I can only hope to be as cool.
I don't drink soda anymore and surprisingly I don't really miss it.
You are going to love your SUV! I can't wait for your post on how much you love your new SUV!
You are great in real life! I just wish we could have some GNO's and double dates with Ryan and Skip. I am so ticked off that I don't live in CA anymore so you can come stay with me. Maybe next time. Are ya coming to Utah again anytime soon?
I love ya and all your weirdness! ;)
i was just giving this some thought as I restocked my soda holder in the fridge this morning - wondering if it would bother you. But then I thought, screw it - it's my fridge and i can have soda in it if i want. And if she doesn't like it then chances are she would've cut me off ten years ago when i had to go to the corner store in Boston for a tall one everyday. Plus, I know you love me...despite my dirty filthy habits.
Also, perhaps if you forced yourself to take naps you'd be able to stay awake PAST 10, which would allow you more time to go out with your girlfriends and possibly become more entertaining too.
I like weird.
I only watch tv when I'm on the treadmill, so I get you there. I don't watch Lost and actually feel a little superior for that fact. But I part ways with you about movies. I LOVE movies. LOVE going to the theater with a giant diet coke and M&Ms. Mmmmm. Want to do it right now.
But I still like you.
I think of it more as endearing eccentricities. By the way, thanks for the kind post; it meant a lot. Any trips to visit your parents this summer?
We have more in common than I thought, except for the chocolate thing.
I just met you in real life, and I found you delightful;)
I think some of those things are defintely...(did I spell that right)...wierd but I still like you and I'm glad you still like me even though I drink soda, love chocolate and watch tv.
Maybe you better rethink coming to my house.
1. We drink copious amounts of soda, (I can feel the calcium leeching out of me as I type...)
2. My family has a serious TV addiction that stems from four generations back.
3. You're going to croak when you see our DVD movie collection, all 500+ movies
4. I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't love.
5. I am funny in real life, not so much on blogs.
6. My husband and kids love stuff.
7. I drive a Tahoe and I love it. It's my graven image, I love feeling bigger and stronger than others on the road. You know, superior.
8. I have a lot of wonderful friends, I am truly blessed in the friend arena.
9. I am a fabulous speller. WHEW, something about my life that won't irritate you....
10. I love the concept of napping, however have never found the time. After reading this novel of a comments perhaps I have lulled you in to a deep sleep?
That was funny. We have some similarities in our "weirdness" but I have to admit some of yours are pretty "out there." :) ha! ha! (Seriously, there are people out there that don't enjoy chocolate? I don't get it.) I am constantly finding errors on menus, road signs, books, etc. but don't so much get annoyed at them, just feel a great sense of satisfaction when I find them!
I just spotted a whole lotta spelling and grammatical errors in these comments. But isn't weird (or is it "WIERD"?) what makes the world go round?
Road trips with a Suburban are great. It is like driving around in a hotel room. And even with a car full of kids, there is still room for your food storage buckets in back.
I have no desire for an iphone either. I just don't get the gadget craze either.
I think you should write the DMV about the manual and point out specific errors.
Also, I drive a SUV and I hate it. Mostly because all four of my kids are in carseats and there's too much lifting involved.
Sister, I knew there was a reason why we are friends. As you know... I have from time to time ventured into the wonderful world of internet dating (dun dun dun...) and if a man e-mails me with ANY spelling or grammar issues, he's toast. Not even a short reply will come from me. I believe I am a bigger snob.
And, you're only as weird as the friends you keep so... yeah. Thanks for calling me weird. When are you getting back anyway? I need to dish on the latest online dating endeavor.
By the way, I LOVED Jordan's pictures with the guitar. The black and white one (where the guitar is still red) needs to be on your wall.
And oh yeah. I would love to double with you and Skip.. any time. Just no hanky panky under the table. :-)
you're judgmental... we all are.
Soda... thank you for calling it soda. Pop is ridiculous.
chocolate... me too.
Umm, my iphone is awesome. It has way too much stuff on there and that's cool. Umm, and I access facebook on it way too easily (umm, that last one was special for you).
I own an SUV, love it. Feel small at the drive thru without it.
Girlfriends, yeah, hard to find em... can't we just pick the ones we want from all over the country, move them into our neighborhood and be done with it?
You annoyed with spelling and grammer (umm, that was special for you too)... noooo, really?
And I just took a 2 hour nap today.
K, with all those oddities and differences... we would still get along strangely well.
I'd double with you too, Andrea. I will try to ovurlooke your weirdness if you can accept my LUVE for tv, pop, chocolate and naps.
Post a Comment