There's a difference between an artist remaking a song (think Tribute Albums) and an artist sampling a song. For me, a remake is really great if it's as good as the original. (Mary J. Blige's remake of Chaka Khan's Sweet Thing is an example.) Sometimes, a remake can actually exceed the original in listening pleasure. (Beyonce and Luther remade The Closer I Get To You, which for me completely tops Roberta Flack's version). Are you catching on? Sampling, however, is different from remaking a song.
One of my favorite things to do is find a sample from an old song in the background of a newer song. I'm talking a little LESS obvious than Vanilla Ice's infamous "Under Pressure, Pressure, Baby". There is so much music out there that has snippets of classic old tunes. It's a never-ending adventure.
Anyway. I love me some LL. I saw him once in concert, and while he doesn't hold a candle to the phenomenally sexy man I'm married to, he is still a piece of art. One of my favorite songs by him is "Hey Lover." This song is classic; it's only made better by the fact that Boys II Men throw their smooth harmony all over the place. Love them too. I wanted to post the video, but in true LL style, it's... shall we say... a bit racy? Yes. We shall say that. So below you will find only the audio clip.
CHALLENGE: If you can tell me the name of the song he sampled here, to include the artist, I will burn you a cd with all of the Tunesday hits up to this point. As you know, I use comment moderation. So I will simply store all the comments this week instead of publishing them, so no one can see anyone else's replies. Comments will be posted when the winner is announced at the end of the week. AND NO CHEATING. You can't google the answer. Where's the fun in that??
18 comments:
Now seriously, who doesn't love LL?
Ok, I have no idea what song that is being sampled, but it sounds to me like an early 80's kind of sound, perhaps something by Sade or Kajagoogoo. Something sultry and sexy; that's not an ubergay Wham offering, that's for damn sure.
I refuse to google the answer. So give me a prize for attempting but being honest about it. I will accept cheese puffs.
No idea but I am happy to hear that LL likes some nice soft legs.
I have no freakin' clue. Which means I should probably win anyway because I need the music ignorance educated away.
you can publish my comment cause i have no idea. (no surprise.)
that song is pretty hot though. oh yeah.
I can't even begin to guess...but I just wanted you to know I'm reading.
Michael Jackson's Lady in My Life.
I've totally been on a MJ kick lately.
Sorry, I know a lot of music but there is SOOO much music. So I have no clue. Damn!
a giveaway that requires knowledge? where's the fun in that? ha. i have recognized 3% of your tunesday songs- which is why i should really win a cd- to edumacate myself on the finer points of hip hop.
I have no idea who he sampled here but, uh...*ahem*...let's just say that Mike is going to be glad that I just listened to the lyrical content of this song.
I'm fighting the urge to google it... You bring out my ethical side! ;)
I have absolutely no idea.
Can I get a booby prize??
I've got nothing except I like the part at the beginning about holding the coach bag...oh yeah.
And he'll break me off a chunk a change to get my hair done.
I don't know this song AT ALL. But I do know that Andrea's CD's have a wonderful magical quality that can enhance your life.
If no one even guesses, can I have it?
I have no idea...but I still want to win something. Is there a booby prize?
Gag! Ackkk Vomit. Not for me. Not sure I really want to know,....but luv ya anyway!!!
Dang it, I love a challenge and hate defeat. But, I don't know!
I have no idea. Did I win?!
I got nothing. You grew up east coast, I grew up landlocked in redneck- republican hell. You knew you LL was. I had only Neil Diamond, Oakridge Boys and Garth Brooks to nod my head to on the old console stereo. Seriously. My first tape that I purchased with my own babysitting money was Salt n' Peppa's single "let's talk about sex" My parents confiscated it but then bought be Garth Brook's CD with his single about a young kid makin' it with an old woman. You got the Roots of what good R&B is today. I got a man who is now fat and bald. Go Idaho.
Post a Comment