Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Safety First, Safety Always (or how to tell who's on your blog)

If you have read my blog for any amount of time, you will know that it would be fairly difficult to know where I live, or what my family's last name is. I keep that all very ambiguous for the safety of my family. I think it is wise not to use your last name anywhere on your blog, including your URL address. I also believe you don't need to list your location, because really, whose business is it where you live? If someone knows you, they know where you live. If they don't know you, they don't need to know.

Another safety feature I know and love is called Sitemeter. Most people use it under the veil of security, but in reality, it's a hell of an ego boost. You get to see exactly how many people read your blog, even if they don't leave comments. But back to the safety aspect.
Sitemeter is amazing. It tells you where all your visitors are coming from. As in, it tells you which internet service they use. Sometimes, however, this information can be useless. See below.


The question marks with the "unknown" usually mean someone has accessed you through a Blackberry, or perhaps an ISP unfamiliar to Sitemeter. Darn! Can't tell who it was.
OH, SHAMWOW! There is a solution to every problem! Enter the genius website www.whatismyip.com
If you click on the unknown ISP in Sitemeter, it will provide you with the internet code (a set of digits used to identify ISP's around the world. Usually looks something like this: 982.456.22) If you enter those digits in the IP Lookup at this amazing website, it will not only tell you the company that owns this code, it will also tell you where this company is located. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! It will actually provide you with a handy dandy map right to the home of the person who was reading your blog. IS THAT COOL OR WHAT!? And if you look really hard, you can see through their living room window and find out if they watch TV in their underwear or not.
Mmm'kay... I made that last part up.


I have always been an advocate of Safe Blogging. That's why I am so enraptured with the new whatismyip.com site. Try it! You'll Like It!

26 comments:

Annemarie said...

Genius.
Have I mentioned that I love the name of your blog?

Tristan said...

OH SHAMWOW!! LOL!

diane said...

You my friend, are brilliant.

I always wondered how to find out who the lurkers/stalkers are. Thank you.

Robin said...

You are such a detail person. When you see COLORADO SPRINGS (living dangerously here) on your site meter is it me stalking you.

Robin said...

And my friends too. They read what I read because I am a trend setter. True.

♥Shally said...

Awesome.

Now hopefully "creepy stalker with no life" will lay off the hours they are spending on your blog.

Robin said...

Also, one more thing. If your last name is SMITH it is like you don't really have a last name. It is a generic name, so you can toss it around. In fact, I suggest that all bloggers just use SMITH as a last name to protect themselves.

heidiram said...

And now, since I have been discovered, I guess I better start leaving comments . . . instead of reading only. My bad. You totally called me out. Thanks for motivating me to come clear. My name is heidiram and I am one of your blog lurkers.

Anna said...

So you caught me watching TV in my panties. I love it how your security-minded self did not mention who you saw watching TV in their panties. I'd hate to have peeping toms start showing up on my sitemeter.

Ilene said...

I didn't know about that ip site. That is awesome and totally deserves the Shamwow accolade.

I haven't looked at my sitemeter for awhile. Time to get on that.

Alisha said...

I read a lot of blogs...on the other aspect of it, I don't necessarily want the authors of the blogs knowing MY address? Yikes! How can I get my info. off there???

Lauren in GA said...

I love that we have the technology available to us.

Watch out anonymous commenters!

...and lurkers...we know who you are...well, Khandrea does because she is BRILLIANT.

Just so you know. I refresh blog pages almost every time I click on a blog because sometimes they don't update for me...it is the strangest thing. Oh, and sometimes I read blogs at Mike's work so that may come up as a different carrier than KNOLOGY...I'm not sure...but I never read in my underwear...well, not at Mike's work, anyway...

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh, that is RAD! (I haven't used that word in a decade.)

I was really hoping my location was gonna show up on the screen shot, there. I would have felt coolio.

Elizabeth said...

Im a lurker - so hello.
Thanks for posting this, I have put sitemeter on my blog and its going to be very helpful to track the two visitors I have ... a year..;)
Thanks again.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

It's so creepy that you can find a map to someone's home! If you're stalking me from outside my window, just go on and ring the doorbell and I'll let you in and cook you something.

Brynne said...

Since you are the technology genius, let me know if you figure out how to get a sitemeter to work on private blogs, since you may now be motivated in order to keep that ego stroked :)

The Howards said...

Are you trying to give me Internet Safety 101 on the sly? Trying to ease it in there, thinking I won't notice? Well, I'm on to you now. So hah!

Desi said...

Thanks for the tip...I love it!

Jessica said...

K.I.L.L.I.N.G. me.

But sometimes you don't want stalkers (who you know) to know that you know, you know?

Steven Rosbach said...

I'm taking Trinity up on that offer. It's cold out here, anyway.

Jake said...

Do I get college credit for reading that?

Seriously cool.

Jenibelle said...

You don't have to be sneaky to see the DH watching TV in his chonies,
he's very, very, very proud of himself. As is his youngest son who is, as he says, "allergic to clothes".

Anonymous said...

what?! sitemeter that drive me crazy ... and something to do about it?! you. are. awesome.

thank you!

Anonymous said...

BUT sitemeter, when "unknown" doesn't give you the last 2 numbers, i.e. 96.52.130.#. How do you get around that?

Desi said...

I have the same question as Katie...my unknowns don't have the full ISP so I can't look them up...does your sitemeter show you the whole number?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm went tot that website but do not see a IP Lookup anywhere on it. Just takes me to a bunch of links.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal