Monday, November 30, 2009

Mom: Ten. Kids: ????

Our desktop got a virus and is in the shop, and I can't load pictures onto the laptop. So you'll pardon the lack of visual documentation.
We had a unique Thanksgiving this year. The whole weekend, overall, was very nice. At least, I thought it was. I gave it a TEN. If you were my kid, what kind of score would you give it?

1. I didn't cook for Thanksgiving dinner. We have been very busy this year. I decided I didn't feel like having people over, nor did I feel like spending the day in the kitchen. So we had "MAN FOOD." Please, peruse our menu of previously frozen foods:
-Totinos Pizza Rolls
-Mozzarella Sticks
-Buffalo Wings
-Hickory Farms Summer Sausage
-Cheese and Crackers
-Fresh Veggies and Dip
-Teriyaki Beef Skewers
-Soda
*Big points for Mom.

2. We went to some friends' house for dessert. Their kids have Nintendo DS, with a game called Brain Age. You go through a series of games that tests your intellectual ability. Skip and I commandeered the games from the kids and played the ENTIRE NIGHT. Not even lying. *Mom loses big points with kids. Also with husband, as I insist on playing until I come away with the higher score.

3. Took the kids to see the Broadway production of The Lion King. While I found the 2 hour and 45 minute production to be a bit long *Minus points for kids with short attention spans, the costumes and set were breathtaking. I enjoyed most of the music. Our adult Simba did not impress with his vocals, but our Young Nala was adorable. And did I mention the costumes and set? Amazing.

4. Attended the University of Idaho/Utah State football game. Being a USU alum, I still enjoy cheering them on. Plus, they won. *Huge points from football-crazed son. Minus points for other two kids who could care less about football and had to sit for three hours. Minus more points for not sitting in proximity to the cheerleaders, thus disappointing both daughter AND Cassinova son.

So there you have it. That was our Thanksgiving weekend. I, myself, had a delightfully relaxing and entertaining time. I also finished the bulk of my Christmas shopping online. My kids don't know that, but *it should earn me a few more bonus points, don't you think??

18 comments:

♥Shally said...

Jaxon would have been in heaven at your house! Minus the Lion King.. no WAY he could sit through the whole thing. :)

Tristan said...

Sounds like a good time to me! I've heard about that DS game. Maddie really wants one.

2 hrs and 45 mins is WAY too long! Did they forget it was a kids show??

Steven Rosbach said...

Me? Thanksgiving dinner in Istanbul. Menu? I found an American-style pizza place. *Steve wins big points both from himself and from the fine looking redhead who flew out to spend Thanksgiving in Istanbul with Steve.

Sunday, we stumbled into the Istanbul branch, where we met every single Mormon in the city of 12 million. Enjoyed "lunch" with the not-yet-legally recognized church congregation,NOT Sacrament meeting, no no no, don't be silly. On the Lunch menu? TURKEY. Real, dead, gravy-soaked Turkey! *The Istanbul Mormons scored a bazillion points from Steve AND the aforementioned redhead.

Final tally?

Steve wins. Steve always wins.

heidiram said...

Did somebody hijack Andrea's blog? Ms. Healthy would have never let her kids eat pizza rolls or mozzarella sticks. And soda?

Would you like to come to our house for dinner tonight? This is the first year that my non-turkey eating family did not get turkey for Thanksgiving. And guess what they have been belly aching about all weekend? The fact they didn't eat turkey. Needless to say, I bought a turkey breast and that's what they are eating for dinner tonight. Maybe I should throw in some buffalo wings and summer sausage. They would like that too.

Lauren in GA said...

Wow. You scored BIG TIME. If I had served that, "MAN FOOD" my family would have cheered wildly and hoisted me in the air and carried me around on their shoulders.


Providing that they could lift me. I still managed to eat a LOT.


I want to play Brain Age...or maybe I don't...perhaps, ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving.

calibosmom said...

You get major points for getting your online shopping done and you lose big points for your lame Thanksgiving dinner. I say you come out even though. Glad to know about the Lion King-will not be taking husband (too long).

Ilene said...

Fun weekend!

I love when the cold weather hits and the UO cheerleaders actually have to cover up their skanky outfits with sweats.

I have no love for UO cheerleaders.

Sorry, my own personal rant right there.

jessica said...

I love that you didn't cook. I'm definitely not hosting next year, that's all I have to say about this year.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Haha, I LOVE your menu. I wish I'd taken that approach; I'd have saved myself some serious stress. And I'm so glad USU won!!! What's T-Day without some football? Happy holidays girl!

queenieweenie said...

I didn't cook either...isn't it the best?

Brynne said...

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving dinner--low stress on Mom which means everybody's happy, right? Way to take the "simplify" motto to a whole new level! I'm sure my family would have loved that just as much as the meal that I spent hours preparing! And stealing the DS away from the kids and playing until you win, reminds me a little of someone I see in the mirror each day! Happy Holidays!! And way to Aggies :) (check out my blog for our latest Aggie adventure)

Jen -n- Jase & kids said...

Your dinner menu is very similar to the sorts of finger foods we usually have around all day to nibble on until the big meal, or after....well, both depending on WHEN we eat that year.

I say you win loads and LOADS of points, however, the points will not be acknowledged as credited in full until your children reach an age of TRUE appreciation (ie...they aren't around to enjoy family; are forced to eat some really bizzaro meal they have to smile and choke down; or they are relaying fun stories to their OWN families....hey, remember the time Mom made us 'man food' and took us to Lion King)

As for Brain Age....there are a couple of them, as well as some other really great mind training games out there. Hot Brain is the first one we bought, and now we've got the Brain Age games too. It's good to own more then one game, and more then one gaming system...so more then one of us gets to totally hog the game for hours at a time. LOL. Should Skip be getting you one of your own for Christmas?

loved the story, and good for you for having your OWN kind of Thanksgiving :o)

diane said...

Your title confused me. I thought it was about you having 10 kids. I would lose the brain game. I have never cooked a holiday meal. It is a source of pride.

Christie said...

Manfood for Thanksgiving? You are mad, woman, mad.

ABSOLUTELY NORMAL CHAOS said...

My family came to town this year so I actually DID make food this year. I was pretty shocked with your menu, but you did have FRESH veggies and dip. This kind of goes along with your carefree Halloween. You are really letting loose this year. YOu are Awesome!!

Paige said...

I cannot handle that you did not have a regular Thanksgiving dinner. You can get the whole meal from the grocery store or Marie Callender's. It's probably gross, but not the point! Do you care naught for Tradition? next are you refusing a Christmas tree and telling the kids Santa is fake? Are you going to bed at 8 pm on New Year's eve? The horror.

the wrath of khandrea said...

paige... you are a genius. i love you.

Rynell said...

I could not do this.

But, you? You rock.