yesterday, my kids were home because of a snow day. they drove me absolutely crazy. they had only been back to school on monday after 2 weeks of vacation, they were nowhere near ready to spend another day at home. skip had a late night at work, so i just didn't feel like cooking. i let mika choose the restaurant, and he picked A&W.
there's a new billboard up in town advertising the "curiously delicious fried cheese curds" at A&W. everytime i see it, i gag. all i can imagine is greasy cottage cheese. well, of course mika ordered these cheese curds. i was indeed, very curious. i didn't plan on blogging about them, so i have no picture. and sadly, the best that google images could provide me was this:
i call him louie. and the caption read, "you lookin' at my cheese curds?" not really prime advertising. but whatever. so i was curious. i lived in logan, utah for awhile. they have a cheese factory there, and the locals were always talking about "squeaky cheese." i like cheese, so i tried out this "squeaky cheese" once. they were cheese curds. they were fairly tasty. i tried to explain them to skip last night, but i had no idea what they actually were. enter wikipedia. the long and short of the definition is that higher levels of acid cause the milk proteins to tangle and form lumpy masses. and you have to eat them within 12 hours, because they don't keep. doesn't that sound yummy?
no, it does not. (just in case you were thinking otherwise). and when i think of A&W, i certainly don't imagine freshness encompassed by a 12 hour expiration date. oh, and it gets better... apparently, a song was written years ago. a celtic tune. and it goes a little somethin' like this-"Visions of MacGonlannee"
Stately and pleasantly it sat
A compact house and strong
Then I went in
The door of it was hung beef
The threshold was dry bread
And cheese curds were the walls
guess who i'm never going to visit? yeah, old man MacGonlannee. everything about cheese curds seems wrong. and more disgusting still when you dip them in batter and deep fry them in hot peanut oil.
and yet...
i tried one. and sweet mother of abraham lincoln, they were fantastic! curiously delicious, even! there may be times in the future when i cruise through the drive-thru just for a box. heck, if it came right down to it, i'd wrestle big louie for the last one.
so. that's my confession for the day. but unlike martha corinna, i'm not pregnant. so i have no viable excuse for my behavior. can you still love me?
9 comments:
well, I cannot comment on cheese curds as I have never had the pleasure...but the new zoo crew pictures are totally cute!
I've had them before. Totally good.
And, honestly, I am so interested in people who can read the things I read (cause I know a lot about nutrition)and actually make their heads/bodies not want the stuff after they know it's bad. How do you make that connection? I just always think: "People have been eating it for years, it must be fine." I wish I could care a little bit more.
This is not to say that we are horrible eaters around here. We just eat everything: lots of veggies and fruit, lots of whole grains, lots of good protein. But we also eat all the other stuff, too. Cause I don't think it's that big of a deal. I wish I did. Make me care.
I know we are supposed to talk about curds, and if I ever see them I'll be sure to try them, by holy smokes, woman, those pictures are gorgeous. Do you know Brittany Reeve or something? You are an artiste.
oh no, ms. celia. i owe it all to you. you introduced me to the wonderful world of picasa. the rest is history. although i am continually motivated by britt to make things in my life look better.
Not that I thought it could ever be possible, I actually love you MORE now. Try the Costco hot dog sometime.
This was awesome.
When I was young my parents were vegetarians (before Mormonism and during Buddhism). We belonged to this vegetarian co-op that had yummy cheese curds along with some not so yummy things. Anyway, I can't think of any nearby A&W, or else I would try them. I do have a weakness for fried stuff.
We will have to compare notes sometime on food. I eat the bad stuff in very small moderation (more right now than ever), but I notice a huge difference in the way I feel when I eat 95% healthy. We will have to swap notes. I've noticed some big changes since I've become more serious about healthy food.
Thanks for being so nice.
So funny!
I am a little bit healthy food nazi. I instituted healthy pizza night (with mostly veggie toppings) and my kids claim it IS NOT PIZZA.
LOVE squeaky cheese- I was born in Logan, so that may be part of it. I used to love it as a little girl. You made me want to get some!! I don't even know where to go...Google here I come!
When I lived in Indiana, my friends would buy cheese curds or "squeaky cheese" from the local Amish store. I was never brave enough to try them, but they LOVED them.
Post a Comment