Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Wrath of Khandrea

Isn't it a delicious coincidence that my name is pronounced AHNdrea, thus spawning the outlandishly clever title of my post?

So, um, no thanks to the majority of you, I lost the battle. Look what came in our mailbox the other day from Netflix:


While I realize most of you were probably just trying to promote our marital harmony by suggesting I watch this with my husband, frankly, I'm appalled at the lack of solidarity amongst the female crew. I mean, sure we expected Brent and Steve to side with Skip. I was sure they had probably even watched it and enjoyed it as well. But LADIES! Are you KIDDING ME? Some of you even came out as closet trekkies. Shameful.

My favorite comment was from Tiff.
I would have to say that you should at least try to watch your husband's favorite movie. Maybe you could staple your eyelids open before the movie starts to make him feel really good about it.

She was onto something there. So staple I did, and here's what I learned from the experience:


Men can have too much of a good thing, and they can actually make me feel naughty for looking.



I can take the weight off and KEEP IT OFF! Just ask Jenny.



The negotiator can always search for the lowest fares.


Apparently, he was beamed up from Witch Mountain... where he successfully escaped to in the mid-70's.


If you don't show up at his wedding just because he's gay and you oppose his lifestyle, he will be really mad at you.


My husband makes good nachos, and thank goodness for that because at least I have something memorable from the evening.

*In all fairness, I didn't HATE the movie. I just couldn't get past the fact that everyone in it now does endorsements of some kind or another. It's one thing if you do endorsements in conjunction with a healthy career. But when you get to a point where endorsements ARE your career, it may imply you've been in a total bomb of a movie at some time in your life. I will say this much: It was definitely better than The Women.

25 comments:

diane said...

You really are a good sport. You get points for this one.

Tristan said...

Good for you!! Now he owes you one. See how it just goes around and around? ;)

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

Escape to Witch Mountain is one of my FAVORITE movies.

Bridget said...

What a great wifey you are. Love your commentary. Maybe you could do a Mystery Science Theater 3000 for this. Did you ever see this show? Please google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. It was great.

lisamarie said...

Well if I knew that Witch Mtn boy was in it, I clearly would've had a different opinion...

lisha said...

mmmm...nachos. what were we talking about? I blacked out there for a minute.

♥Shally said...

Just those pictures made me cringe.

I don't think I could have made it through the whole thing-- so good job!

Now make him watch Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

Clair said...

Glad you survived and that you got something to eat.

Lauren in GA said...

Ohhhh, I agree with Shally!!! I loved Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. It does have Helen Hunt in it and she is an Oscar winner, after all. And Sarah-Jessica Parker is in it, too.

Alas, we your blog followers have failed you, Khandrea. I am truly sorry. But, your commentary was so fantastic and such spot on observation about the endorsements, too.

Carrie Ann said...

Say what you will, but we used to watch and rewind the "earwig" part over and over and over... I get the chills just thinking of it!

Christie said...

You are a much better woman than I. When those kinds of movies come out of the envelope, I go running for my book in the other room.

I like Shally's revenge movie. Follow it up with five hours of Pride and Prejudice. He'll never make you watch anything again.

martha corinna said...

That is what you do in Hollywood when you get old. You endorse stuff. For some reason, old celebrities seem to loose their relevance, unlike Wrath of Khan, which will always be relevant.

Skip said...

What's all of this revenge talk? I watched "The Women" it was a bad movie but I sat through it. I wanted to watch "Wrath of Khan" with my wife, saw an opportunity to do so and put it to a vote. I left it in your hands, Andrea’s blogging buddies and you guys made the decision. If you guys think that Andrea got a raw deal then look in the mirror and say “bad (insert your name here)”. You guys made the choice not me. There should be no talk of revenge; it’s the democratic process in action. There’s no hanging “chads” and I’m sure you knew how to work the machine so what’s the problem?

Ilene said...

Hey, I never told you to watch either movie. I hope Skip paid you back appropriately after the movie was over. And I am not talking about nachos.

Hollyween said...

I have to admit that just reading this makes me a bit nauseated to the point where I get that saliva in my mouth that is the precursor to the barf. And then I saw the pic of the nachos and it went away. Thank goodness for the nachos.

Sherine said...

Is this the one where the worms crawl into someone's ear? And did you know they are making a new return to witch mountain? And if you make him watch girls just wanna have fun will he make you watch battlestar galactica?

Hazen5 said...

Not a Trek fan! But, I think I might see the new one coming out. I am glad you saw the movie for Skip!

Rynell said...

See you lived through it...

Jenibelle said...

Ick. Make him watch 'Beaches' or 'Annie Hall', that'll teach him.

Ick.

lisamarie said...

Skip-Bo, I read through all of the 30-something comments and I just don't see how you both came to the conclusion that she should watch it. Clearly there were far more nays than yays. Did you count all the woosies that didn't vote as a yay or something?

The Howards said...

You're hilarious Andrea!!! Haven't read your post for a while...I laughed...hard! Thanks.

calibosmom said...

I just had to write this part of your post again..."I will say this much: It was definitely better than The Women." End of story! Ricardo looks scary! His boobs are bigger than mine. Did you know, they remade Witch Mountain? Cool!

gab said...

Clever. clever. clever. Wrath of Khandrea! So glad I have never seen it and now I never will.

Heidiram said...

I am so sorry that you had to watch this movie. But ever so happy that at least you got some good nachos out of it.

HappyBack said...

One of the greatest moments in movei history was when Kirk and the gang were trapped on Seti Alpha 5, in the Genesis Cave, and Kirk's anger is building up a head of steam, and then he screams KHAAAAAAAAAN!" and it echoes through the cave. Oh, it was genius.

You did the right thing and you're better off for it.

And shame on every woman here who wouldn't have watched this with your husband. SHAME ON YOU. All of you. Booooooooooooo. BOOOOOOO!