
As Skip so eloquently put it, "Well THAT'S two hours of my life I can never get back..."
We watched this movie last night. You know how sometimes a movie starts off "slow" but you keep watching, in hopes that it will pick up?
This movie was sort of like that. Minus the part where it ever picks up.
I was so excited about the cast. With the exception of Debra Messing, whom I find annoying and over-exaggerated, I really like everyone in the cast. But the storyline was so weak, and the roles were so staged, I could hardly stand the fact that I committed myself to watching the entire thing.
Jada Pinkett Smith is one cool chick. I am impressed with her seemingly stable celebrity marriage. She appears to be a nice person. Except when she's playing a rough-around-the-edges lesbian who hangs out with rich white girls. She was like a piece of a puzzle that got put away in the wrong box. And it was annoying.
Annette Bening was supposed to be a ruthless executive trying to hold onto her job. In reality, she was a spineless fluke. Eva Mendes tried to come off as an overly-confident man stealer. It was hard to see her as confident when she lost the man and opted for a woman instead. Debra Messing I just can't stand. I've always felt Will and Grace should've been called Karen and Jack. In this movie, she was confusing and lost in her role as an artsy baby-making-machine.
Meg Ryan was stunning. I cannot get over the fact that she is 63 years old. There's no way! She doesn't look a day over 45. But even her ageless beauty wasn't enough to carry the movie. She was the only character whose story and emotions were even semi-convincing, but by the time I realized how likeable she was, I was half asleep.
Hopefully you haven't already wasted your money on this film. I'm no film critic, but I figured I'd do the world a favor and make it known that this one is not worth even Netflixing.
*Post note: I am actually an idiot, yes. We looked up Meg Ryan's birthdate after the movie, and we read it wrong. We were probably still in a total brain fart from watching this stupid movie. Thanks, Lisa, for the correction. It was 1961, making her almost 48. Now that I can handle.
22 comments:
Am I missing something? Meg Ryan 63? I don't think so.
Thanks for the warning about the movie. I hate to waste quality netflix time like that. it's two hours you'll never get back...so sorry.
Yeah, Meg Ryan at 63 would be pretty funny. That would have to be some major Botox.
Why is it I haven't even heard of this movie. Thanks for the review though.
I am curious about this Benjamin Button movie. The premise seems so weird to me but its getting great reviews.
I love the original movie. Too bad about the remake. I still want to see it.
Meg Ryan is my age. She's had alot of work done. She doesn't look like herself anymore.
Really?
I kinda liked it.
Wasn't a movie I would buy or anything, but entertaining none the less.
Loved Meg's dress at the end.
And I totally related with Debra Messing. I am always the one with all the kids. :)
You are the second person to warn me away from this movie. (The first being my hairgirl in whom obviously I have complete faith and trust.)
Thanks for the heads up!
I am not just saying this...you should write movie reviews...and Skip, too because his comment about never getting that two hours back summed things up nicely.
Even for 48 Meg Ryan looks really, really young!
What makes ME nuts.. is I have a screenplay I've written-- that I want to say I KNOW is better that so much of the mediocre junk we endure in hopes of being entertained. I can't believe how many big names can get wrapped up in such poorly-written pieces.
Now if I just had a Hollywood "IN"!
Thanks for the warning..
I'm just impressed that Skip watched it with you. Any movie named, The Women, would be an instant NO for Kendon. I guess I'm enough woman for him!!!
You need to Netflix the original 1940's version with Joan Crawford. It is HILARIOUS. It is a movie I saw like 15 years ago, and have watched several times since. It's very funny. And pretty racy for 1940, I'd say.
The remake? LAME.
I was wondering about this one. Thanks for the warning. Good job getting your husband to agree to watch it even though it clearly was not worth the time.
That was a better movie review than any I have ever written! I'm going to have you ghost-write for me from now on. There's no pay in it, so don't even ask.
Love all the actresses too. I did have some interest in this movie...but maybe now I'll skip it.
I came over here to curse you Andrea for all the 'good news' you gave me on my blog.
But, I decided to actually comment on your post. I haven't seen the movie, but, my goal is to achieve a similar body to that of Eva Mendes by summer. Too much to ask?
Great, after reading this now there's five minutes of my life I can't get back.
Oh, I kid.
Anyway, Meg Ryan's face doesn't move. It's like when you were young and you played with your Barbie and made her "talk" to Ken. It didn't matter her lips and face couldn't move because she looked so damn good in her party dress.
how funny. I hate when you can't stop watching a movie no matter how bad it is.
And I was so gonna look up Meg Ryans age until you corrected yourself, becasue I thought NO way..
Why hasn't the Today show snatched you up as it's newest movie reviewer?? That was the most entertaining review I've ever read.
Saw it! Didn't care for it either. Now the original, black and white one is pretty good!
Remakes are usually let downs, in my (whatever-its-worth) opinion.
Just cover the W in the title...that's better!
I watched that movie over Christmas with my sisters and nearly died. I kept thinking SOMETHING has to happen! the only reason skip watched it is because you are newlyweds. And now you never get to pick the movie again.
Indeed I was talking about him - well, actually his wife. They are good friends of ours. They just had their 4th baby a week or so ago and their blog is here: http://stild-young.blogspot.com/
It is a small world, especially when you are a black Mormon soldier I'd guess. :-)
hello. i'm lisa and i found you thru stie's blog.
your review was right on the money! now imagine how you felt after watching it knowing you paid $10 at the theater to watch it- that would be me.
Post a Comment