I mean, I'm just sayn.
Anyway... Here's what the man had to say:
I just want to comment on the “The Women” post. First off Shally, really? You kinda liked it? That’s like saying I kinda like having my eyelids stapled to my forehead and being forced to watch one-legged midgets box with one arm tied behind their backs. But I’ll let you slide on this because you hooked me up with the camera lens info. Second, this movie was bad for a lot of reasons but I think it came down to the fact that there were no men in the movie. Oh there were references to men, but not a single one to be seen in the whole movie. Believe me, I looked (how do you think I made it through the 114 minutes?)
Having said that, I think that I should be rewarded for watching that movie, and my reward should be Andrea watching what is, in my opinion, the opposite of a movie with no men. That movie is (wait for it) “Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan”. Andrea is running from this movie, but I feel she owes me on this one. How can she resist the sophisticated Latin lover Ricardo
Montalban as the genetically enhanced Khan? And the man that needs no enhancing, William Shatner, as James Tiberious Kirk? Come on people, help me out here! I’m leaving it in your hands. All you have to do is nay or yea and we’ll take it from there.
Montalban as the genetically enhanced Khan? And the man that needs no enhancing, William Shatner, as James Tiberious Kirk? Come on people, help me out here! I’m leaving it in your hands. All you have to do is nay or yea and we’ll take it from there. 
Lastly, thanks to all those who gave me props for hanging in there and for Paige who was waiting for something to happen. Something did happen, the movie got worse.
PS: Steve, as the only other male who openly reads my wife's blog, I'm counting on you to have my back.
35 comments:
Hell no. That is not justice, it is outright revenge and cruel and unusual punishment, which we all know is against the laws of marriage. You're totally out of line on this one and here's why: Jada Pinkett Smith vs. Ricardo Montalban/William Shatner? Please. The movie may have been bad but at least you had a little scenery. At least give the girl some eye candy if she has to watch a man show. Which pretty much leaves the SCI-FI genre out.
I'm right and you know it.
I have seen all of the Star Trek Movies. My Dad loves them and I would watch them with him when I was young. I don't know that I really care to watch them anymore though.
However, if Ryan really wanted me to watch a movie with him I would (with the exception of horror movies because I don't ever watch those). I would just fall asleep or something. ;)
I see that Mrs. Brinkley is not playing fair here. Yes that is Ricardo Montalban as Khan but the picture of him and Cpt Kirk is not from “Star Trek II”. It’s from the 1967 episode titled "Space Seed” and his characters full name is Khan Noonien Singh. But what a good idea. We can watch the original then watch the movie.
Jackpot on your blog today! Between your AWESOME cafeteria conversation post (nice title, btw) and a husband posting, I've been thoroughly entertained.
And, sorry Skip, I have probably watched a total of 2/3 of an episode of any Star Trek, TV or movie, so I have no opinion whatsoever.
Allrighty then. I know you don't know me.. (actually.. neither does your wife. But I'm not creepy. Just a cousin of a friend.. that found her to be unusually entertaining, so awhile back, outed myself that I read her blog.) So, in other words.. my opinion doesn't really count-- but since I have such STRONG opinions.. have a hard time holding them back (even to invisible cyber strangers..) So the chick movie was lame. Sorry. But please. PLEASE. If you love your wife even slightly.. don't do it. Just don't. You are WAY too cool a couple to indulge in such things. There's my vote.
I think Andrea should watch it with you in honor of Ricardo Montalban. She can have a good nap anyway.
Lisamarie, a young pre Jenny Craig Kirstie Alley played a Vulcan in that movie and everyone knows that a Vulcan only mates every seven years so that trumps Jada.
Baby, do you not love me? Do I not butter your bread?
I may be exposing too much of myself here, but I am a secret trekkie(not so secret to those who know me well). My all-time favorite action movie is Wrath of Khan, love it(I probably just sky rocketed on the geek scale, but I don't care, long live Star Trek!).
Try it, you may like it Andrea.
I'm totally serious, Peter Rabbit and Captain Kirk.
Okay.
First of all, I thought it was kinda funny that there were no men in the movie. (It is called "THE WOMEN" after all!)
Second- you can't tell me that having your eylids stapled to your forehead and being forced to watch one-legged midgets box with one arm tied behind their back wouldn't be ENTERTAINING. I mean, it would give me a chuckle. (Aside from the fact that my eyelids would hurt a bit.) ☺
Third- NO WAY should Andrea have to watch anything Star Trek.
EWWW.
When you watched "The Women" together, Andrea had no idea that you would despise it so. You, on the other hand KNOW that she will not enjoy one minute of watching Fantasy Island dude. You are *trying* to torture her.
Having said that...
I would probably watch something Zach liked even if I hated it.
So basically I am no help at all.
Even another reason not to force her to watch, cuz that would give you two pieces of candy to her zero still. Come on. There has to be SOMETHING in it for her. Jada, Kirstie, Eva, Meg....that's a hell of a difference from spock, kirk, and ricardo. You can't even compare and haven't a leg to stand on.
"Restrain your leaps of illogic" - Dr. Spock
Star Trek is WAY better than anything with those pretentious, over dressed, Botox lovin, makeup crazy "Women". Blech! Those movies make me mad to be a woman! Whew! That felt good! I actually haven't even seen the movie but anything with Shatner in it has to be better than that! Go for it Andrea! I know Skip couldn't love you any more than he already does but you would definately score some extra points for watching his man movie. Of course, his movie is also full of overdressed, Botox lovin, SUPER makeup crazy men...somehow its different though.
Im sorry Skip..Im sorry that you sat through that movie. I deffinatley wouldn't sit through a movie with NO MEN.. What sick kind of person made that movie..But anyway NO ONE should have to sit through Star Trek either..Sorry can;t back you up on this one
I have never watched Star Trek.Ever. Not one episode. Looks ridiculous. Then again that chic flick looks equally as horrifying. So you both win. Or you both lose. However you want to look at it.
Andrea, because you were so good to me and left me that awesome comment on my blog about the bumrushing the pearly gates...I say you should be spared from watching the Star Trek movie. (and I have no idea where all of those commenters on my blog came from...you are right about getting lots of comments due to pregnancy, *whoa*)
Don't confuse me with the facts, Skip...I know you lost 2 hours that you will never get back watching, The Women...but I have to be in camp Andrea on this one. I did literally shudder when I read about your likening your movie watching experience to having your eyelids stapled to your forhead and your vivid description almost swayed me to side with you...but I must hold strong due to my devotion to Andrea.
KHAN!!!
I am no help at all! Luckily for me my husband despises Star Trek so he would never ask me to endure such torture. I have watched movies that I would not have otherwise just because he wanted to, but none have reached the depths from which Star Trek comes from.
Good luck with that.
I fail to comprehend your indignation,Lisa. I have simply made the logical deduction that Andrea should watch this movie with me.
I think you should watch the Khan if for no other reason than you will have something about which to mock him. If not, than he'll only have the material on you.
Not to bust on my poor husband here, but something similar happened with us. He and his brother FORCED me to watch every stinkin' Rocky flick after they figured out I'd never seen any of them. I wanted him (in return) to watch the BBC Pride and Prejudice (which is cinema at it's finest). Ask me if he's ever seen Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy? Nay. He has not. His only excuse is that he's not around enough and that the dudes would question his manliness if he were to watch Austen in Baghdad. I dunno, what do you think Skip? If Andrea watches Khan, than I think T should watch Colin.
First of all, did Skip ever see the cover of the Women movie before he watched it!? If so, I guess he knew full well that it was going to be a very stupid chick flick. Andrea- I'm not sure why you didn't pick up on this yourself- assuming you did see the cover. I mean, you ARE an intelligent person. If Skip went in with full knowledge, Andrea shouldn't have to watch Khan. If he was misled to think it might be a decent show, well, then I think he deserves to have Andrea's hand to hold during a GOOD movie of his choice.
And I am simply saying, pick another damn movie. Star Trek simply isn't a logical option.
Are you out of your mind Lisa? Pick another movie my foot. She tasks me. She tasks me. And I shall have her. I'll chase her round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give her up.
Skippy, it was a surprise the women was a stinker, Look at all that girl hotness! No hotness in Star Trek (you sitting next to her doesn't count), and you already know she'll hate it. No go on that movie. Sorry. Nice try.
Did Paige just call me Skippy? Her vote doesn't count and you loose two votes for her name faux pas.
I side with Andrea on this one, actually on pretty much everything. She knows her stuff man, I'm just saying.... So you took one for your team. Cash it in for something better than a Star Trek movie. This is your chance and a Star Trek movie is all you can come up with? Andrea and I go way back so my hands are tied here.
Why Star Trek???? A bunch of middle aged men hanging out in polyester jumpsuits making hand gestures at each other. Yuck!
Why not something just a bit more manly like Legend of the Fall or Braveheart. Those are very manly movies but offer at least something hot to look at. Come on. The Women had hot actresses at least. Why not offer something with hot actors for Andrea. Your chances of getting lucky are much higher with something like that than with (gag) Star Trek.
Just delurking to help.
what?
Ok I'll admit it, I have watched Star Trek. I lived to tell the tale. My hubby enjoys all things trekkie. I support that because he sits through Pride & Prejudice (and more) with me.
And I actually like Next Generation (Patrick Stewart!) and also Deep Space Nine. My honey likes every.single Star Trek and he just informed me that The Wrath of Khan is THE BEST.
There you have it.
Well, after THIRTY comments, and a severe tongue lashing from both Skip and Andrea, I have decided to weigh in here.
Skip, of course, is right.
First off, just SITTING DOWN to watch "The Women" merits Skip one movie (at least) of his choice; sitting THROUGH such an atocity, at the very least, guarantees him that Andrea should sit through said movie of his choice.
Secondly, Skip isn't picking some cliche guy film like "Ole Yeller" or "Field of Dreams." Skip is picking the best Star Trek movie of them all, and one of the best movies of ALL TIME- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
There's even a Kirk Love Child revealed in this movie, which implies sex, which implies some sort of romance, which already makes this a chick flick. Peripherally, anyway.
Aside from all this, I have to part ways with Skip on one thing: I, too, would be remarkably entertained by one-legged midgets boxing with one arm tied behind their backs. That sounds to me like a party-in-a-can, guaranteed to entertain. But not if my eyeballs are stapled to my forehead.
Lastly, look... Ricardo Montalban just DIED. In his honor, you really ought to watch this, his crowning achievement as a motion picture actor. He's all bare-chested nstuff. And he was younger then.
and lastly, Andre'.... hook me up with "wenderful"... unless she's married. Happily married, I mean.
The only reason my husband agrees to watch chic flicks with me is because he is almost gauranteed to get lucky later on.
I can't say the same result would occur if I were to watch Star Trek with my husband; Captain Kirk love child or not.
I don't care what anyone says, ANYTHING would be better than Star Trek. Seriously. Even dental work. And vaginal gyne exams. Maybe I'd even add colonoscopies, too.
Star Trek bad.
Very, very bad.
Andrea, you're totally getting off easy with "Star Trek." It could be worse, he could want you to watch "Tron" or "Dune," perish the thought.
Having said that, I don't believe in tit for tat so Skip, you lose this one. You went to the movie, you suffered through it and that's that.
At the end of the day you get Andrea so I think you're always ahead no matter what drivel you "make" yourself watch.
Sorry for chiming in late! I am SO glad my hubby does not have any interest in star trek or sci-fi in general. I actually don't think it is an equal swap, since Skip agreed to watch a chick flick (that appeared to have potential), while Andrea clearly has no interest in Star Trek. And (sorry, don't know you Skip), but men generally need to earn bonus points with the wife, while the opposite is not usually true. If Andrea agrees to watch, the pay-off had better be GOOD.
skippy was not a faux pas. It's cute. Go with it. It could be your trekkie name,
Post a Comment