Friday, June 24, 2011

Casing Ceremony

WOO! It's been a week! And of course by "a week," I mean "more than your typical 7 days of calendared time."


The battalion cased their colors this week. Before a unit deploys, they hold a special ceremony and basically put their flags away in preparation for the trip overseas. Each company has their own flag, and the battalion has their own as well. "Case" means "put away, like in a little case," and "colors" refers to the flags. This has been your educational military moment of the week.

Because my husband is a leader in his unit, he gets to do important things like stand in the front, and roll up the flag. He makes me so proud.





Really though, it was a very nice ceremony, and I only cried a teeny bit one time. I went up high in the stadium to get a bird's eye shot of all the soldiers, and it was sobering to see them all standing there and think that some of them might not return. But you have to learn how to shut those thoughts off when they come, or they will consume you.


After the ceremony, the local minor league baseball team invited the whole brigade up for a BBQ and night at the game. While it wasn't exactly riveting baseball, we did have fun getting some autographs, eating some BBQ, and hanging out together. It looks like we were the only people there, but we were just the first ones in our seats. The stadium was actually full...eventually...
And of course, a SERIOUS highlight was when we got some screen time. BIG SCREEN time. We were basically famous for 18 seconds.


It's been an eventful week. My relationship with the Army is absolutely a love/hate one. I love the tradition, the strength, the pride, the purpose... but I hate how hard it is to support a soldier. This week, I'm thankful for the family time they have provided us. We have had some really special talks with all of our kids, and have felt peace and love in what should, by all means, be a time of stress and chaos. Finding the good...

8 comments:

Robin said...

excellent post. Love you. Can't wait to see you!

Paige said...

Thank you for explaining. Army is just a foreign land/language. Nice of you to marry dark skin guy up front so he's easy to spot in the pics. Handsome.

Tristan said...

Love Paige's comment ;-)

Skip always looks good in all his uniforms!

♥Shally said...

Zach has played in that stadium. :)

Those pictures give me chills. What a great group of soldiers!!

Lauren in GA said...

Good for you, Andrea. Way to find the good.

I would be bawling during the case ceremony...seriously, it would be, "the ugly cry" all over myself and anyone within a 3 foot radius. You did a great job keeping it together.

Skip is so handsome. (I just told Mike that I was typing that to you. He pretended to be offended...but it had to be said.)

Check you out on the JUMBOTRON! Very nice. ☺ I think I could make you out on the right pointing the camera to get the shot.

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, wait...I should have called it a, "casing ceremony" not a case ceremony. Thanks for the explanation. I enjoyed my, "educational military moment of the week."

Christie said...

I seriously can't imagine how you do it. My man goes away a lot, but he's home on the weekend and I know he's not in any danger. Hats off, sista. To you both.

Amanda said...

Well, that made me cry. You describe the army relationship so well! I hate that he had to go. But I am LOVING that you are at some amazing beach somewhere!