It rained a little here today. There was also some beautiful sunshine. Both felt appropriate. The city dedicated a memorial today to its citizens who have been killed in action. We went with Ann to honor Conrad's name on this memorial.


The ceremony was appropriate, and there was a mix of sorrow for loss, and happiness for memories. It felt good to honor and celebrate these heroes' lives.

Ann was beautiful, as always, and showed more dignity and grace than I believe I would ever be capable of. On an exciting note, she is about to become my next door neighbor. She bought a home a few doors down, and we are thrilled.

My husband is a man of amazing strength and courage. He is a stellar soldier, and I have so much respect for him professionally. He is also a good husband. He's a good husband because he works at it. I think it's easier for him to be a soldier, but he loves me enough to try and be as good a husband as he is a soldier. That's what makes our relationship solid. There's a lot of love, and we just keep trying. I won't lie- I do not want him to deploy again. The very thought of it causes a knot of fear, maybe even terror, in my chest. But I am proud of his desire to serve our country.

This is an interesting history of our National Anthem. It's one of my husband's favorite clips. It may be long, but take a few minutes and enjoy it. And please let patriotism be more than a warm fuzzy feeling you get on a few select holidays each year. Find a way to make sure it's a part of who you are.

The ceremony was appropriate, and there was a mix of sorrow for loss, and happiness for memories. It felt good to honor and celebrate these heroes' lives.
Ann was beautiful, as always, and showed more dignity and grace than I believe I would ever be capable of. On an exciting note, she is about to become my next door neighbor. She bought a home a few doors down, and we are thrilled.
My husband is a man of amazing strength and courage. He is a stellar soldier, and I have so much respect for him professionally. He is also a good husband. He's a good husband because he works at it. I think it's easier for him to be a soldier, but he loves me enough to try and be as good a husband as he is a soldier. That's what makes our relationship solid. There's a lot of love, and we just keep trying. I won't lie- I do not want him to deploy again. The very thought of it causes a knot of fear, maybe even terror, in my chest. But I am proud of his desire to serve our country.
This is an interesting history of our National Anthem. It's one of my husband's favorite clips. It may be long, but take a few minutes and enjoy it. And please let patriotism be more than a warm fuzzy feeling you get on a few select holidays each year. Find a way to make sure it's a part of who you are.
13 comments:
It's beautiful. Who would've thought that someone you met in a mall in OK would become your neighbor and cherished friend in WA? More than a coincidence I dare say...
My wonderful Dad was a WWII veteran, he signed up at 16, lying about his age. My mom was a Navy nurse at Swedish Hospital in Seattle. They taught their children to always stand and salute, to sing patriotic songs loud and proud and to always know that they lived in the greatest country on the face of the earth. Many members of my family have served the US as servicemen; our nephew is in Afghanistan right now as a medic. We are so thankful for those brave enough to do what is necessary to protect our freedoms. Thank you Skip!
Beautiful day. Thank you Skip and all the soldiers and their families. So glad to hear your friend will be moving closer to you at this time. Love you girl!
These photos are absolutely gorgeous- every single one of them! Your tribute has brought me to tears.
These photos are absolutely gorgeous- every single one of them! Your tribute has brought me to tears.
Beautiful post, beautiful photos, beautiful tribute.
You two look great. Tell your hubby much thanks for his dedication to our country. He's sporting a lot of ribbons. Looks like a badass.
Wonderful post, Andrea.
Ann is so strong. Dignity and grace in the face of such loss is truly amazing. That is really neat that she will soon be your neighbor.
The pictures are absolutely beautiful. The one of Skip with Conrad and Ann's little boy is so lovely.
I loved the video clip. I am going to have us watch it for F.H.E. We live in a military town and the kids weren't off of school yesterday. I feel like I need to explain to my sons the importance of Veterans Day and how, "some gave all" for this country.
This post was just beautiful! My Dad was drafted in Vietnam. I have major respect for our armed forces. It takes an incredible person to serve willingly.
Photos are gorgeous! Your friend Ann is tremendous. And Skip is amazing and so are you ;-)
Skip looks smokin' in his uniform! How cool that Ann is moving near you. A BIG thank you to Skip and all our veterans!!!
I read this post this morning and it made me cry... the sacrifice of Ann and her family just took my breath away. I didn’t comment because I didn’t know what to say. I still don’t but thanks for sharing this and I am not sure I would be able keep my sanity if there was a chance David was to be deployed. I also loved what you said about marriage, so true that most of us find being ourselves easier than being a wife or husband... but the rewards of marriage are incalculable. Wow first I had nothing to say and now I can’t shut up!
Great post!
Beautiful post. My prayers and admiration go out to all those who serve our country. Ann is remarkable.
Fort McHenry is one of our families favorite places, we visit it at least once a year and have had the privilege of helping fold the flag at the end of the day, a very moving experience. I cannot hear our nations anthem without tearing up.
When my brother in law was in Iraq, I was very aware of his sacrifice and the sacrifice of so many others. Although I am always grateful, it's not always at the forefront of my mind now that he is home. Thanks for keeping it real for me my friend.
Post a Comment