*Note: He prefers to do the grilling. I offer to do it, but it's his thing. So don't act like I made him slave for his own gift. Firing up the grill in February was part of the gift.
Got some bone-in ribeyes for us and New York strip steaks for the kids. Want a fool-proof marinade? Try this:
Put some Wooostashiya Sauce on one side. Flip the steak over and spread some mustard on the other side. Then, in a bowl, make a dry rub by mixing brown sugar and your favorite seasoned steak salt/pepper blend. I buy mine from the bulk bin at WinCo. Rub the mixture over the meat. Let it sit for a few hours. I'm telling you... it is unbelievable.

He LOVES strawberry lemonade. I juiced lemons for like... ever...
He LOVES strawberry lemonade. I juiced lemons for like... ever...
I think I did 17 lemons. Then you add some water and sugar, and some pureed strawberries. I forgot the Sprite, which was my love language screaming out over his. Oops. I had good intentions, I just forgot. I hate soda anyway, but I wanted it to be just how he likes it. Next time.

Keola and Mika helped me with the salad. I put some snow peas in it, which apparently some people do not like. "Some people" being everyone except me. Oops. Another VDay faux pas. But the feta was a nice save.


I made loaded mashed potatoes, with bacon and cheddar and butter and cream. Also, a three-cheese Texas toast was a big hit with everyone.

Of course, all that really matters is the dessert. I'm not a huge sweets person, but I recently tried this Hershey's Special Dark Triple Layer Chocolate Cheesecake, and, um, wow. Yeah. Let's just say this is one universal language. Mine doesn't look as pretty as the picture in the recipe book, but it tastes better than the picture in the book. I know, because when I first saw the picture in the book, I was licking it. It's that good.


We had a great Valentines Day. B loves to give gifts, and he got me the Gary Fong Lightsphere diffuser. I've been experimenting with it all day. I think he wants me to start to love giving gifts, so he can get some too. Because you can't really wrap strawberry lemonade, ribeyes or cheesecake. Although if I tried to, it would count as a gift, right??
Keola and Mika helped me with the salad. I put some snow peas in it, which apparently some people do not like. "Some people" being everyone except me. Oops. Another VDay faux pas. But the feta was a nice save.
I made loaded mashed potatoes, with bacon and cheddar and butter and cream. Also, a three-cheese Texas toast was a big hit with everyone.
Of course, all that really matters is the dessert. I'm not a huge sweets person, but I recently tried this Hershey's Special Dark Triple Layer Chocolate Cheesecake, and, um, wow. Yeah. Let's just say this is one universal language. Mine doesn't look as pretty as the picture in the recipe book, but it tastes better than the picture in the book. I know, because when I first saw the picture in the book, I was licking it. It's that good.
We had a great Valentines Day. B loves to give gifts, and he got me the Gary Fong Lightsphere diffuser. I've been experimenting with it all day. I think he wants me to start to love giving gifts, so he can get some too. Because you can't really wrap strawberry lemonade, ribeyes or cheesecake. Although if I tried to, it would count as a gift, right??
17 comments:
I love my wife and had a wonderful valentine’s day; Just some things to note though.
1. I do the grilling because it is a MAN law. Moreover, my wife + grill = no eyebrows (remember?)
2. She did not get the sprite because she would go into a carbonated educed coma just from touching soda.
3. Snow peas should be called “yellow snow” peas because that is how everyone treats them around here.
4. As for the gift thing goes, I am crying foul. Do not let this woman fool you. How in the heck do you think I knew how to get her the Gary Fong diffuser in the first place? I will tell you how. It was in an email from my lovely wife sent me suggesting that if I wanted to get her a GIFT that this would be a good gift. At first I thought it was something for her hair dryer and did not read it right away. It was only after several more hints that I decided I better read that email a bit more closely before I made a terrible mistake.
5. Dessert, I have not had any yet. I am waiting to eat mine in bed with my lovely wife while the valentine playlist plays on our iPod (don’t forget the w-hip cream)
Bottom line, I love my wife for all that she does for not just me but for our whole family. But today it was all about me.
Love you babe.
Skip is awesome! :)
Looks totally yummy to me! Ryan likes to grill too and he is REALLY good at it. I've never done it and with Ryan around I don't have to.
Happy Valentines Day you guys!
Thanks for the stake reminder I've had similar and it is fabulous. Next feta cheese is my favorite on a salad. Last but not least, great talk today in church. I cried, I can't tell you how much time I have pondered this topic of charity and you put into words things I hadn't been able too. Thank you, and again you did a great job. (don't feel like you have to post this it's just for you.)
Dinner looks way delicious! I'm getting the diffuser too. As soon as Adorama has someone availavle that I can have an actual conversation with so I can make sure they use my credit (remember the Christmas gift?). Maybe next year I'll try to make a special dinner... maybe...
ps- the food pics look great- i was almost licking the screen... almost
What is it about snow peas that people do not like? I honestly don't get it. My people around here don't like them either, and I could eat them every day. They are crisp, sweet, yum. A perfect vegetable.
Tell me how you like the diffuser, will you?
Absolutely fabulous, Andrea. I am trying that marinade...oh, and I love the way you, "pronounce" worcestershire sauce. We are carnivores around here and our favorite is red meat...I'm excited.
Skip's comments made me laugh. Yellow snow peas...that's funny.
I am going to go google, "Gary Fong Lightsphere diffuser. I don't know what that is...do you cook with it?
A ha! It's for actually lighting a room...sounds impressive.
Through the stomach, right? I get it. Looks fabulous.
BEAUTIFUL MEAL.... love it. I might just go and make that cheesecake.
What a lucky man! You know what I think of that grilled meat. Love ya!
yellow snow peas! (picture a laughing type snort here.)
And are you proposing to ME here, because the idea of sitting down to that meal might push me to Rosie's side of the fence, if you know what I mean?
Mmmmm, just looking at that meal gives me the squirts! (Which might sound rude, but the sign of a good steak dinner is when you have to sprint to the can within half an hour of consumption. And when your sudden dysentery comes out with porcelain-cracking force. You grab your stomach and bend over at the waist while screaming VICTORY! and hoping the next blast doesn't launch you into the stratosphere.)
SO on a side note, there's this HILARIOUS movement going on out there, where bitter single folks refer to Valentine's Day as Single Awareness Day. Did I mention that it's HILARIOUS? And is the sarcasm coming through here when I capitalize HILARIOUS?
That has nothing to do with your post, of course, I just want to make fun of those bitter singles.
Waitaminute, did I just write an opening paragraph about steak-induced dysentery?
You'll have to write a new Love Languages book and add the #6 Red Meat option, that is great! Way to give the man a great Valentine's Day!
YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I love your pictures... great job. My mouth is now watering.
Also, I have the gary fong and I like it. Do you?
Okay that meal is insane! You have won my heart. I am totally trying that marinade.
Mmmmm. Meat. I would marry you myself, if I swayed that way-and I don't, but I'm just sayin', meat is good.
Looks divine. We had red and white heart shaped raviolis with homemade alfredo. It would've made a great accompaniment to your ribeyes. Next year, I think we should combine love shacks.
Post a Comment