Thursday, February 4, 2010

Current Events

If you know me at all, you know I tend to have opinions on things. I'm not necessarily a confrontational person, but I do enjoy throwing my two cents in. Two cents... seriously, when was the last time you held two pennies in your hand? Haven't they gotten rid of the penny yet? Can I throw two cents in using my debit card?
Anyway.

First headline: US BAPTISTS CHARGED WITH KIDNAPPING HAITIAN CHILDREN
There are a lot of things that really bug me about this, not the least of which is this: is it really necessary to harp on the fact that they are BAPTISTS? It's like when those zany polygamists act up, and suddenly the LDS church's name is smeared all over the place. COME ON! Why must we always have a whipping boy? While I am not at all swayed by the "good intentions" of these people trying to provide better lives for these poor children, by, um TAKING THEM, I don't actually see the point in beating the Baptist horse to death. Why not just call them "Idahoans" or "Americans" or "slightly crazed religious zealots"? I feel it's unfair to make the entire Baptist population look bad because a few of their congregation went a biiiiiiiiit too far.


Next up: SKIERS MAGAZINE PHOTO SPARKS DEBATE
Lindsey Vonn will be repping us in the Olympics this year. And HEY, GUESS WHAT? She, as a woman, made the cover of Sports Illustrated. And she is not wearing a "swimsuit". (By "swimsuit" I mean "scanty shard of fabric covering only her fundamental genitalia.") But people are up in arms because of her "provocative" pose on the cover. I'm not making this up. Google it. What a skanky skier... tucking to improve her aerodynamic odds of increased speed. Jeeze.
Let's just celebrate female athleticism and leave the rest of the crazy, over-sexed innuendo to Miley Cyrus and Britney Spears. Oh, wait. No innuendo there...


Third: FIRST LADY DRAGS DAUGHTERS INTO OBESITY CAMPAIGN
As you may or may not know by now, Michelle Obama has launched an anti-obesity campaign. Lord knows we could use it in this country. But she's receiving a TON of criticism (cracking myself up here) because she revealed that her "wake-up call" came when her own daughters started pushing the obesity envelope. In all honesty, I can't quite make up my mind on this one. I mean, don't we as mothers discuss our children's flaws ALL THE TIME in hopes that we can support one another, trade ideas, and just get a few things off our chest? We try to find ways to relate to one another in hopes that we can lighten the load of parenthood. We learn from each others' successes and mistakes, and we swap advice accordingly. I truly believe that's what she was doing. HOWEVER... I tend to agree with the point that this puts a lot of pressure on her daughters, whose hair and J Crew wardrobe are already way over-scrutinized. I think the thing that it boils down to is our media-crazed society (she said, as she typed about current events on her blog...). I think Michelle Obama was well-intentioned in her remarks. I think, however, because we are so obsessed with public figures, that her words were like fresh meat thrown to the wolves; devoured with the intent to satisfy primal appetites. Anyway. We'll see which one ends up all Karen Carpenter first. Some therapist somewhere is already chasing this ambulance.


Lastly: DUGGARS HAVE UMPTEENTH CHILD
Seriously. I'm all for a large family if you can manage it. I can't, but some people can. But this is a freak show at this point. When you cross over into reality TV, your intentions are no longer sincere. You are self-serving. I would like to never hear about them again. Sort of like John and Kate. Make it all go away. Please.

17 comments:

Steven Rosbach said...

1) WWJD? According to this group, J would kidnap the little swarthy kids and take them home to live with the Great White Hopes. (And carry protest signs at General Conferences.) Hey, they were a Baptist group, so they get labeled "Baptists" in the news. I only get freaked out about this sort of thing if they were an Idaho State Legislature Charity staff or something, but get labeled "Baptists." For good or bad, when you slap a name on your yellow t-shirt, wear it when you're in the news.

2) Who's complaing about the skier in the skier stance? That's weird. All I would complain about is the silly tilt to the photo to make it look like she's zipping downhill, when she was just squatting in "I'ma Pee Right Here" position on flat ground.

3)I keep hoping that one day, we'll have a First lady who takes up no causes whatsoever. Who just drags around the White House in sweats, without make-up, hair pulled up in a hairclip, carrying a laundry basket on her hip, checking behind chairs in the Map Room for dirty socks. And who will burst unexpectedly into news conferences in the Press Room, chasing after the kids, screaming for them to shut up, and will level a death glare at her husband and say, "Could I get a little help here once your FRIENDS (gestures towards Press Corps) have left for the night?"

THEN I'd feel like I could relate to the President. That man would have my vote.

4) I don't watch TV. Don't know who the Duggars are. Don't care how many puppies they squeeze out. But hey, if they have a TV show, I bet they can afford them, so who cares?

Thank you, thank you. Tip your waiter. :P

Alisha said...

I agree the Duggars need to stop having more children. TLC just changed the show's name to '19 kids and counting'...my vote was it should be changed to '19 kids and DONE'....however with that said....she is a good person...if anyone is capable of having that many kids It IS her. I don't think them having a reality show makes them any less sincere. Do you watch the show? They are humble, meager & meek, they serve the community, they serve the Lord with their mission trips to 3rd world countries, they sew a lot of their own clothes, they buy Christmas presents at The Good Will, they have no debt and don't depend on the government to support their children....while I can agree I think their season of having children has passed....I don't think they are bad people who crossed into the Jon & Kate reality TV world...

jessica said...

Thank you for your two cents...
I don't even know where to start! You were cracking me up from the very start. All of this is all so ridiculous, I think you expressed it all perfectly. The family portrait may have been a little over the top but it still made me giggle.

Paige said...

I really like this post. If I was copus mentis I would actually comment on it. But I like it and I like you so just assume what you know I"m going to say.

Melissa said...

Excellent post. Excellent comment above, particularly #3. I could be that Presidents wife...

the wrath of khandrea said...

i don't actually watch the duggar show. the only "current" show i watch is LOST. i loathe reality tv and its voyeuristic nature. i do not, however, loathe the voyeuristic nature of blogging. embracing my inner hypocrite here...

Steven Rosbach said...

I love it when people blog and then get all freaked out when people read their blogs. I'm not referring to your recent situation; that would freak me out too.

But I see a LOT of women who post up all their emotional vomit online, and then the VERY NEXT POST say "OMG I have some FREEEEAK in Michigan reading my blog WHO ARE YOU YOU FREAK??"

Um... hey Lady, you posted your life on the interwebs. That's about the same as posting it up on a wall on the corner of State and Main. Don't get freaked out when someone happens by and stops to take a gander. If it's a problem, start an email list and stop showing US how easily you're freaked out.

Linsey said...

The Duggars -- I got nothin'. They are enigmatic.

Childhood obesity needs to be addressed, but not using your own children as the poster child. That said, I hope the First Lady is universally successful.

The Haitian thing -- sometimes well-meaning is not well-thought out. I hate the harping on their religion as well, though I am not surprised. We love labels in this country, no matter how much we try to deny it. We need people to fit into boxes, even if those boxes are misshapen, lop-sided and generally the antithesis of neat and tidy.

Lindsey Vonn cover? Looks like a skier to me, and that's it. Maybe as a society we could work on getting our collective minds out of the gutter and focus on something, ANYTHING, positive instead.

Sometimes people are lame and these days it seems like they are lame a lot more often than not. It's exhausting.

Tristan said...

I don't watch the news so I only hear/read about stuff online.

The media likes to label people. But you can't be racist of course. So they like to attack religions. Cuz those are not protected under the "politically correct" umbrella.

I can't believe people are having a problem with a photo of a skier in her stance. REALLY??? These people better not watch the Olympics then.I mean with all the crotch grabbing during couples ice skating...it is pornographic.

Mrs. Obama is for sure going to give her girls complexes. Especially considering they are skinny girls to begin with. I wish there was a way to ban fast food.

I have watched the Duggars on TLC. Mostly in the middle of the night when I'm up with Preston and there is nothing else on. I can't help but wonder what state her female organs and reproductive system are in. I mean...seriously!!

This last baby of theirs, #19 was premature. I think that is a sign to STOP!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

hahaha, not a clown car. I can't believe Michelle said her daughters were pushing the obesity envelope... uhh that's the kind of stuff that traumatizes young girls. Throw in the fact that the ENTIRE WORLD heard your mom say that, and yeah... anorexia here we come!

martha corinna said...

I don't think that would have ever crossed my mind upon seeing the cover of Sports Illustrated.

And the Duggar mother must have some seriously strong veins and bladder because mine are slightly dilapidated after only four children.

♥Shally said...

Okay, DYING at the last picture.

Too funny.

Elizabeth said...

The Kidnapping Baptists are totally going to be wishing they stayed home and just downloaded the charity songs from iTunes... have you seen the prisons cells in Haiti? The Presidents palace has been totalled and people are rioting for food... that country will NOT be looking after their felons well.
The Duggars may be the most compassionate, family orientated, selfless, environmentally fam on earth... but that woman’s body must be a wreck ... she should stop getting pregnant and think about adopting... maybe from Haiti.
The media is such a hypocritical beast ...they love a bit of sport porn but only when the girls are in swimmers and posing on a beach...
I loved this post (I bet you can’t tell) so thanks.

Lauren in GA said...

Did you make the label for the last picture of the Duggars?

As soon as I saw this post I knew it was gonna be great.

I think Lindsey Vonn is so gorgeous. That said...I don't think that picture is flattering...so I don't really think of it as provocative.

I have some mixed feelings about the Duggars. I have always wanted to have a fifth child. (For some reason I always felt my number was 5). The doctors told me that there is a 40% to 60% chance of having another preemie because it is likely the preeclampsia will return. So...I just don't think it wise to do this to another child. I am torn because the Duggars have as many children as physically possible because they believe it is wrong to prevent them from coming. I am usually more supportive of religious beliefs over other peoples opinions...but I am scared for them to have another baby. Most likely it won't end well...usually I leave religious beliefs alone but I want them to use wisdom not their religious beliefs in this decision.

Jessica said...

What is even the point of trying to come up with some zippy comment when you have people like Happy Back reading your blog?? That guy is a superstar.

Robin said...

How did I miss this awesome post!?! Awesomeness.

Anonymous said...

I bet if Mrs. Dugger strapped on those skis and bounced down a mountain top her vagina would fall out somewhere between the top of the mountain and scrrreeeeching to a halt at the bottom.. Just saying..

Love the last photo!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal