Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tunesday: CHRISTMAS!!

My husband has some Grinchy tendencies. While I would begin the Christmas playlist on the day after Thanksgiving, along with decorating the house, he gets a little uptight if I start that early. So we compromised, and started everything this past weekend. Don't you LOVE playing your Christmas music? Everyone has their favorites. I have a lot, but I chose 2 for this post.

What would Christmas be without a little soul infused into it? The Little Drummer Boy and Do You Hear What I Hear are my favorite songs. This version of DYHWIH by Destiny's Child tops the list for me. Sorry the video is non-existent. But listen to the song. Then download it. MP3panda.com gives you downloads for five cents. Can't beat that.


My mom is from the West Indies. She grew up on the tiny island of St. Lucia. Growing up, she had this song... I think on reel-to-reel, and she LOVED it. She would listen to it and do her cute little rhythm of the islands dance. She searched and searched for the ALBUM, and then after a few years, the CD, and finally, when the almighty internet came along, we found it in digital format. Now, it's on YouTube, for crying out loud. It's called "Mary's Boy Child" by a growp known as Boney M. These guys are Jamaican, but came out of Germany. This song topped the holiday charts in 1978. Every time I hear it, I feel happy. It has great memories tied to it, and now my kids know it as well. The video is hilarious. Pay special attention to the lone male's dance moves. Wow. It's a good thing brotha can sing, because he ain't makin money off his groove.

11 comments:

Ilene said...

What? No "Feliz Navidad?"

I kid. That song gives me a headache.

Tristan said...

Love both of these songs!

I personally bust out the Christmas music on November 1st. That bugs Ryan, so I wait until the next week...ha ha!

But I love to decorate early and have that Christmas feeling for longer than just a few weeks.

Anna said...

I love Tunesday! Merry Christmas to you. Tell Scrooge to lighten up and meet you under the mistletoe.

Lauren in GA said...

I have several thoughts.

It is kind of like, "Lone Male" hears the music in his head double time and is dancing to his own sped up beat.

Okay, I suppose every area has it's own radio station that plays only Christmas songs beginning the day after Thanksgiving...In Virginia, there was a station that did that and we found one in our area in Georgia, too. I was disappointed when the station here never played the Christmas song by the Trans Siberian Orchestra (sp?) and I noticed that they played songs here that they didn't play in Virginia and vice versa.

Well...I found a new station this year in Georgia that plays only Christmas songs at this time of year and I heard this song for the first time on that new station several weeks ago. When I heard it two more times I thought that it must be a new song...silly me...I really liked it. I was folding laundry the other day and was actually touched when I heard the lyrics that say how Jesus was sent, "that sin may not enslave us." The word, "enslave" really struck me...sin truly does enslave us.

And lastly, why does it look like they are outside the Kremlin in Russia if they are Jamaicans from Germany? ;)

Jenibelle said...

I tell you...you and Byron are twins. He heard the music..."is that Boney M"? How many people would know that?

Jessica said...

Ryan also hates Christmas music before the actual month of December. (I hate it one single day before THanksgiving. THere are so few songs, that I get sick of it by the middle of this month...I don't understand how Tristan can listen to it for 2 whole months.)

diane said...

Have you heard the new duet with Mary J Blige and Andrea Bocelli, What Child Is This? I never would have put those two together but it is breathtaking. My new favorite.

♥Shally said...

The parted afro is the best...

Rynell said...

I've heard "Mary's Boy Child" too! I love it! No wonder I love your mom so much...the video is new to me though--what a riot!

Steven Rosbach said...

One of my favorite Christmas memories was listening to some guy sitting in a town square in Rio Bravo, Guatemala, strumming his guitar and singing "Feliz Navidad." The best part was when he suddenly, enthusiastically busted out with the English portion of the lyrics, which, as every here well knows, go like this:

"I wanna washoo ah Murray Chrissus, I wanna wash to a Murray Chris tuss, I wanna wash you to Murray Crust-us for the bollum offom harrrr!"

Murray Crust-us, eferybody.

calibosmom said...

That video is priceless. How and why are they in Red Square?