Sunday, September 13, 2009

Movie and a Book

We like to watch movies. Sometimes it takes us a few weeks to get through a whole movie, because we are so busy, plus usually I fall asleep before it ends. But we finally got through this one:
I realize it's not new. But my husband assured me it was a goodie. Have you seen it? If not, allow me to ruin the ending for you. She dies. It's horrific and depressing, and it ruined the entire movie for me. Skip finds it annoying that I expect all movies to have a happy ending. What. I do. There's enough sadness in real life. Hollywood needs to make me happy.
Hilary Swank was pretty good in her role as trailer trash who makes it big by optimistically working her way into women's boxing. You really root for her the whole movie. And then, BAM! Championship fight, grand prize... you guessed it... one million dollars. She takes a cheap hit from an animal of an opponent, falls wrong onto a chair, and breaks her neck. The rest of the movie she is paralyzed and dying. Clint Eastwood, Mr. Flint and Steel, is softened by her innocence and determination. He spends most of the movie chasing demons from his past, avoiding repentance, and lashing out at the world. And in the end, instead of finding redemption in a truly honest way, he "honors her wishes" by unplugging her breathing tube and injecting her with adrenaline. I mean, I woulda begged the guy to do the same thing for me, make no mistake. But the whole movie was so depressing, and his noble act of assisted suicide was very confusing to my conscience.
Don't see it. Unless you like that sort of thing.
Moving on.
I read this:

We like Tupac's music around here. We obviously don't listen to it very much because it is not appropriate for children, and we always seem to have some of those floating around. I am not trying to put the guy on a pedestal here. He was clearly a self-professed thug. Just ask his abs. But this book was written from the viewpoint of a young black girl whose life was profoundly affected by Pac's music. I actually checked it out of our school library... it's a Newberry Honoree. If you'd like to take a look into a life vastly different from your own and still feel connected to the honest emotions of it all, then read this. I cried a little. But I cried a lot at Million Dollar Baby, and I rate things based on the type and quantity of tears they make me shed.

The end.

13 comments:

jessica said...

I forgot how depressing that movie was...thanks for reminding me.

I feel the same way...there is enough out there that already makes me sad, I need a feel good comedy or romantic these days.

Ilene said...

Dan is a typcial white suburban boy. He loves Tupac. Isn't he the guy who rapped about his mom and how he provided for her as a drug dealer? You know, putting money in her mailbox and stuff?

I like that song. Teaches kids about respecting their moms and such. It is totally bugging me that I can't remember the title to that song.

Oh it is called something like "You are Appreciated," huh?

Wanna read an article by Orson Scott Card and his take on Million Dollar Baby? Love his points. Read them here: http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2005-03-20-1.html

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

I also prefer happy-ending movies. I have a long list of moving, sad films I'm going to watch someday. I just keep putting them off.

Tristan said...

Seen the movie and thought it was totally great! I was wanting to knock out her Mother for her when she was laying in that hospital bed!!

Never read or heard of the book. But I am a fan of Tupac. Obviously we don't listen to it any more since having kids. But I watched a biography on TV about him and thought it was really cool. Kinda tragic about him and Biggie, but cool.

diane said...

I want a back like Hillary's.

You've got street cred.

calibosmom said...

Don't see My Sister's Keeper then or Gran Torino. Good movies but sad endings.

Paul F'er said...

Skip is a crazy man. Reality = sad enough. Movies = Escape from Reality.

Don't see "My Girl" or "Sommersby" either.

Lisa-Marie said...

I always do the ugly cry during movies like that and it's embarrassing. And it gives me a headache. Who needs that? Not me, thanks.

HappyBack said...

Yeah, Million Dollar Baby starts off as "Rocky" and ends as "Terms of Endearment."

Screw that crap. Go see Gran Torino instead. You get to see Clint as a cranky old foul-mouthed racist curmudgeon, and love him anyway. Good stuff.

By the way, Hillary Swank? Two Oscar Nominations in her career, and two wins. Batting a thousand. Not too shabby.

Lauren in GA said...

Don't see, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, either. Although, I like to see sad movies...I'm not sure why...I like happy endings, too~ don't get me wrong, but I also like to be aware of the human struggle. It might be part of my psychosis.

Linsey said...

I think even sad endings can be escapist, I suppose it just depends on your point of view. And these days, I cry at the happy ones too...even the romantic, feel good, happy ones, so I'm sunk either way.

I'm adding your book to my list of things to read next time I'm in the US for longer than 2 weeks.

The Prestwich's said...

What! You? Cry? Impossible.

♥Shally said...

A movie that is not animated?

They HAVE THOSE?

Where have I been?