Saturday, July 11, 2009

If You Should Ever Need a Substitute Family...

After I left Lisa's, I imposed myself upon my friend Paige. Paige was one of the first blogs I began reading, before I even had a blog. I spied on her and her sister Celia for a few months, and I found them to be witty and entertaining. Eventually, I decided I would make myself a blog, and after that, I began commenting on theirs. The rest is history. Is it crazy that you can become friends with people this way? Who knows.


I really love sports. We went to a Giants/Astros game. I pretended the Astros were the Red Sox, and it was really a lot of fun.


We walked around a lot during the game. Paige got checked out several times by guys. It was funny because she was completely clueless. I watched them all look at her, like what they saw, and then look down at the three small children trailing behind her. Suddenly, they weren't interested anymore. At least you know you still got it, mama.


Lots of the family was at the game. I met them. Here you can see Ellie's devourable baby, Sylvie. Ellie's blog is private, plus she never posts anymore. Hence the no linky. I loved meeting Ellie. She told me I was cute, and I'm always a sucker for the ego-stroke. Paige's kids were so much fun. It was late, and they didn't even whine or anything. If you have blog friends, you should try to meet them and their families in person. You will be so glad you did. You will all be nervous because you're worried you won't be as likeable in person. Turns out, you all really are.



The thing is, though, you have to keep an eye on these people. They secretly want you dead. You know this because they will make you buy these garlic fries. They know that if you eat them, you will probably die of a heart attack. So be careful when meeting blog friends. Sometimes they are actually vicious killers.



After the game, there was a fabulous fireworks display over the water. (Holy smokes, Christie, can you even believe these pictures???) Paige's family is very theatrical. I mean, really, they are into theater and stuff. They are not ashamed to be loud, or to perform in public. I am not ashamed to take pictures of them being that way.

Lastly, the fourth of July was celebrated with a delightful BBQ and baseball game at Mr. and Mrs. Paige'sparents home. They were very nice people, except for the part where the mom bossed me. I was planning on skipping out on the baseball game, but she made it explicitly clear that I would be playing. I said, "How about if I just take some pictures!?" And the Mom said, "No. You're playing. Everybody plays."
So I played. And it was fun.

I missed my family a lot. Holidays are not the same without them around. I am glad I have friends who are kind enough to share their families with me.

17 comments:

♥Shally said...

First of all, your hair looks GORGEOUS all curly like that!

Second- I am totally jealous, both of the bball game, and the fact you hung out with Celia and Paige.

Third- YOU ATE GARLIC FRIES!! Woo hoo!! :)

Tristan said...

I was lucky enough to be invited to Greenbombs for the 4th last year! It was a blast! I got out of playing the baseball game because I had to watch Katie. But Ryan and Maddie played. It was cute!

You have such a warm pretty smile! I love the pic of you with your garlic fries!

Jenibelle said...

You neglected to state what position you "played"? And isn't PacBell park almost a religious experience? I love everything about it...I could really wax poetic here.

Love the picture of you and the fries. I can feel your arteries hardening from here. Come on...just a little junk?

Ilene said...

I hope you washed down those fries with a diet coke.

Brynne said...

Way to capture the fireworks excitement, great pictures! And dang it, I think I have one more blog I need to start reading--that Celia Fay is a crack up!

katyvee said...

You have real true go-see-them friends from blogging alone?
Very impressive. I'm relatively new in the blog world.. but now I see the possibilities! Maybe I'll aspire to such one day..
in the meantime-- I'll be wondering what kind of breath 'garlic fries' give a gal.

Robin said...

jealous.

Christie said...

Yay! I'm so happy you took fireworks pictures. Yours turned out fantastic! Did you have a tripod or just a really steady hand? They look great.

Laughing inside while picturing you eating the fries and washing them down with a DC (though I am sure you did not). Why do we all want to see you eat bad food?

Sally said...

Fun fun fun. What a great trip. You need to eat more of those fries, they are good for you! Garlic is a vegetable and so are potatoes.

Jessica said...

I thought you were going to say Pam bossed you for wearing green on the 4th of July...don't you know that the Greenbaums take their holiday dressing VERY seriously??

Hazen5 said...

They are a fabulous family, everyone of them! Oh and the Giants!!! They rule in our house. It was a sad, sad day when my Rob sold his season tickets to move to San Diego. It's still a sore subject! I so glad you has so much fun.

calibosmom said...

Are there any blog friends that you have not met? You should be the blogger embassador. JOEL McKALE was AWESOME!!! I highly recommend you go see him live. He is very funny and even made fun of Utah Mormons (Not that there is anything wrong with them...)

Heidiram said...

Believe it or not, I was just thinking about the Giants today. O.K., well not about the Giants exactly . . . but wondering if they will be in town when we visit San Francisco because I really really really miss the garlic fries at Pac Bell Park.

Paige said...

Oh you are way too nice. But it's true how you are even more pretty and thin and real life. You know how we feel about the thin girls. It's been 15 years and 30 lbs since I've been oogled, but thanks! It was a pleasure having you, can't wait until next year, and wasn't I good to force you to have the garlic fries?

Lauren in GA said...

Did you get layers cut in your hair? I really like it!

I enjoyed hearing that men were checking out Paige. Also, I think that is so great that Paige's kids aren't whiny. When we meet in person, one day I am pretty certain mine will whine.

I am so glad you are alive. So scary to have been around vicious killers. Death by garlic fries? Ohhhhhh, but what a way to go...

jessica said...

Your pictures are so good! I love a good baseball game and garlic fries...yummy!

lisamarie said...

Maybe next time you come, we can force Paige to go to Little Portugal to eat reconstituted salt cod and then head up to the Giants game to snack on some garlic fries. Now THAT would be a fun evening - and a great photo montage.

Do you see how much there would be for you here if you LIVED in the EAST BAY?