Sunday, July 19, 2009

I'm Kind of Like Grizzly Adams


This is my friend Mindy. When we moved here, I walked into church one Sunday and said, "Hmm... I'd better find a friend. I think I'll pick her." As it turns out, super choice. She was good enough that I haven't needed to find any others.

This weekend we decided to do some mountain biking. Here's how that went down.

1. Supposed to hook up with other friends in the mountains. "Hooking up" with people "in the mountains" can be a bit vague, and they might actually be hard to find... it being "in the mountains" and all.

2. Couldn't find friends right away. Bummer: friends had Mindy's kids' bikes. So we pulled off nearby where we thought we should meet them, and found this killer little stream.



3. Played in stream for an hour. Got very wet. Had lots of fun. Lost my sunglasses when they fell in the current. Bummer.


4. Discovered that rock bugs are real. Taught about them in 2nd grade science unit on camouflage. Thought they looked cool; sort of doubted their existence. Doubt no more.

4. Walked back up to car to get out lunch. Found this special delight:


5. Mindy and I worked on changing tire. Got very dirty. Here you will see her, dirty. It pays to be the one holding the camera. Our other friend showed up while changing tire, and got to take over and do rest of labor. Thanks Jeremy.
*Must be rough to be filthy and STILL so hot, right??
6. Finally got on some bikes. Yeaaaaaahhhh baby!!!

7. Had panic attacks. See this tunnel? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We had to go through at least ten of them. PITCH BLACK. We had some headlights, but they were feeble. It was super cold, and completely dark. Stalacites hanging from the roof, dripping water onto us. I almost couldn't do it. Oh, and guess where the deer like to hang out? Yeah. In the caves. I watch the news. I know how these deer are nowadays. Totally unafraid of humans. Not only unafraid, but they hate us to the point where they attack. I could have been killed... or worse... maimed.
*Picture on right shows degree of darkness at end of cave, as well as deer contemplating vicious attack on bikers.


8. Did deep breathing exercises and survived. Hit the pinnacle, and looked over to see this:
Picture "A"

See that trail? That's where we were headed. It was breathtaking. We were up above everything, the weather was unreal, and the scenery was not to be believed.

9. Biked about 14 miles on dirt/gravel trails. Got around to the other side in one piece. Not too shabby.

All told, it was an amazing trip. The biking was pretty easy for us, but the kids worked their tails off. I missed mine terribly, but was super proud of Mindy's for being hard workers with good attitudes.

I was a little nervous driving home on the donut. It was a three hour ride with 2 women and 3 children on back roads at night. Not my number one choice for safety. We made it, however, and both showed up to church on time today... looking and smelling WAAAAYYY better than we did last night.

16 comments:

Linsey said...

14 miles -- I would have been dead, and not from random deer attacks. The scenery is gorgeous true, but I feel like I can appreciate it adequately from your photos.

Mindy said...

Thanks for the super sweet post. I had such a good time. Flat tire and all. And trust me, if I would have had a camera, there would have been some awesome shots of YOUR backside posted on MY blog. AND you were looking every bit as hot as I was after the tire experience! The kids had a great time and you were right. We smelled a million times better today than we did last night. Thanks for sharing part of your vacation with me and my kids! Trust me, if I had a week to myself, I would not be spending it with someone else's kids... no matter how much I loved them.

The Prestwich's said...

Hey! Thanks for the preview! We are headed there next week. Mindy told me she had a blast...Now, about those germs on the playground, I hear they die after twenty four hours, so you should be good to go! Oh, and BTW, what are you eating that makes your hair grow so faaaast? Amazing.

diane said...

You are an adventurous girl. Deer scare me too. I'm glad you left unscathed.

Lisa-Marie said...

If/WHEN I ever come visit you some day, I want to do THAT! Fun fun fun. (We could leave the flat tire part out.)

You are one hot biker mama.

♥Shally said...

That looks like so much fun! (Except the flat tire part...)

I am looking forward to my kids getting old enough to do stuff like that. :)

Tristan said...

Wow! Streams, dark tunnels with freakish deer, changing tires, mountain biking! That is quite the adventure!!

Anna said...

I picked a friend the same way when I moved to Oklahoma. I must say that I have good taste.

calibosmom said...

WOHOO! What a day! Looks like a blast and isn't it great when you find fun friends that love to do what you do?!? So, if you're Grizzly Adams, does that make your friend Mindy the bear-Ben?

Jenibelle said...

I would have died doing the biking, but would have brought along a killer picnic AND could have changed that tire. I have my good points, they're just not athletically good points.

Bridget said...

Wow. That is beautiful. I love biking. I have a road bike though. This post makes me also want a mountain bike. You and your friend ARE hot, you're right.

Mindy said...

I like your friends. Can we share them? :-) And anyone that could bring a killer picnic is MORE than welcome.
I don't know if I want to be the bear Ben.... didn't Grizz have a hot wife? Can I be her?

Rynell said...

What a great adventure!

Lauren in GA said...

You always make me laugh. "it being 'in the mountains' and all.

Rock bugs really are real? Whoa.

Mindy does look hot...you chose a great and hot friend.

Deer will attack? I found this post very informative. I would have thought that picture you took with the deer at the end of the tunnel was beautiful but when I heard they attack I found it menacing.

Darren and Stephanie said...

Is this on the Hiawatha? I want to go there one of these days, but we're just stuck to Moscow Mountain. If you like downhill you should come up with us one day.

Tara said...

I loved this post. Laughed quite a bit at the tunnel and the killer Bambi waiting to pounce.