Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tunesday: Saving The World, One Track at a Time

I have decided to start a new feature over here. If you know me at all, you know how much I love music. We have something like 6500 songs on our iTunes. Music is almost always on in our house.

My tastes are ridiculously eclectic. But if you stay tuned, I promise every once in awhile there will be a Tunesday for you. I will try to include some info with each song, so that you can broaden your horizons in the process. I know, pretty big of me, right? And I insist that if you don't have the song in your personal library, then download it. (mp3panda.com is only 20 cents a track) There will always be an occasion when you should be listening to it. I'll be sure to point that out as well.

The kick-off tune for this series is "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire. It's a little tribute to the man I love. I love EWF, and one of the first things I found attractive about him was that he knew more about them than I did. These guys are great on the horns, with some funky vocals to match. Maurice White has performed with lots of greats, including Muddy Waters and Etta James. And you'll instantly recognize Phillip Bailey's crazy falsetto voice. Their hits began in the 70's, and in 2004 they were still going strong, blowing it up with Outkast performing "I Like The Way You Move". They also performed in '07 on American Idol's "Idol Gives Back." And I read something recently that said they performed at the White House for the first dinner hosted by the Obamas. Not sure if that's true, but you can look it up.

I chose this song as a must have in your music library because it is so fun. Everyone knows it, and no matter where you are (excluding church or a formal business meeting) people get up and move when they hear it. Don't feel like doing housework? Turn on "September" and your vaccuum will practically move itself. I promise.

16 comments:

Katie said...

I can't wait to get new ideas for the i-tunes playlists. Good idea with this one! Although Earth, Wind & Fire... Who doesn't have all of them anyway? Geez. Weird people.

Hazen5 said...

Love that song! Can you translate the chorus for me, I have always wanted to know exactly what they say.

Love this new Feature!

the wrath of khandrea said...

rachel... you're trying too hard. it's "ba de ya" ... exactly as obscure as it sounds.

Lisa-Marie said...

I can't see the video. Grrrr.

Can we still be friends if I admit I'm not sure I know the song? This Tunesday thing will be good for very unhip me!

Lisa-Marie said...

Okay. We can still be friends. Just looked it up, listened, and YES, I know that song. PHEW!

P.S. You're right. We are so close and yet so far away. Glad that your weather has been beautiful as well!

diane said...

Most excellent choice. This song reminds me of High School. That's right, I'm old.

Jenibelle said...

Saw them in concert once in LA. I was pregnant with Mitch, he didn't calm down all night. For that matter, he's never been calm since. I'm suing.

♥Shally said...

I am dancing at the computer! :)

I wish I could steal your itunes library...

Tristan said...

LOVE EWF!! I'm a huge fan!! Great choice. I love music!

Lauren in GA said...

This feature is truly a service to your blog followers if not the WORLD!!

I am all about broadening my horizons...to match my broadening butt...Okay, no more comments about my increasing weight...

I do love that, "crazy falsetto" voice. I didn't know that I knew this song until I pushed the play button.

Anna said...

I think the chorus is "party on" not "ba de ya". What do ya think?

Desi said...

I love this Tunesday idea, and from what I can tell you and I have similar tastes in music so I may just find some great new songs. Keep up the good work!

EWF is great...I'm boogying down at my computer at work right now :)

Christie said...

This is on my playlist of songs that are happy songs. LOVE it. Keep sharing.

Bridget said...

The vacuum will practically move itself...that's a big promise but I like it. I also love cranking the music up to get motivated to clean. I can't wait to hear the other 6,499 songs you have.

Sally said...

I LOVE Earth, Wind and Fire. Excellent choice!

jessica said...

So thanks to my uber funky family I totally grew up listening to EWF and watching Solid Gold of course. I have this song on my workout playlist and since I'm training for a half marathon I get to hear this song regularly.