Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tunesday: Landslide

Dave will 'splain you some facts:




I chose this song for so many reasons. First of all, I love classic music; stuff that has been around forever and that people still love listening to. There's a lot of Fleetwood Mac that qualifies there. Landslide is such a reflective song. Stevie Nicks once said it's a song about making choices. Sometimes life throws you huge choices and you question your abilities to make those choices...and sometimes it just feels good to listen to a song that lets you know someone else has felt the same way. In my opinion, the best line of the whole song is "Can I handle the seasons of my life?" Really, sometimes my days feel like entire seasons in and of themselves.


Anyway.



This song plays for about 4:40, and then another one starts. I couldn't find a shorter clip with the same intro from Dave, so only feel obligated to listen to the first 4:40. I like the cut from this album (The Dance) better than any others I've heard, so when you download, be sure to look for this version.

14 comments:

Annie said...

Amen, I love this song. It applies to so many phases and events in life (I have an aunt who absolutely cannot listen to it without dissolving into tears. It always makes me think of her now).

p.s. I love Lindsay Buckingham.

Desi said...

Yet again...one of my favorite songs.

I like the Dixie Chicks version, but I've always been partial to Stevie Nicks voice on this one...I agree that it's a must have in any music library!

jessica said...

Not only do I love this song...but that line has always grabbed me too. When I was little I used to dress up like Stevie Nicks, my grandma had cool hats and shawls that I would wear.

Bridget said...

I never would have pegged you for someone who would like this song. I love learning these things about you. You do have a broad interest in music. This song makes me too sad. I don't know if I like it or not.

martha corinna said...

One of my favorites too. And like Annie, I love Lindsay Buckingham. He is one of the many old man crushes I've had. He, Don Henley, and of course, my true love, Paul Simon.

Don't tell my husband I was talking about this, he forbids me to speak of such things.

calibosmom said...

I'm really enjoying Tunesday! I love that song but the second song is actually one of my top ten all time favorites. Not that version but the one on The Dance album-so amazing!

Jessica said...

You know who introduced me to this song, way back in college?

Paige.

So whenever I hear it, I think of her! (She's a lot more leather than lace, don't you think?)

Jenibelle said...

Love, love Stevie. Love, love this song. Cry, cry because of the emotions and thoughts it evokes. Shame, shame on you.

Kennedy said...

Oh girl. "Can the child in my heart rise above" - good stuff. I like the dixie chicks and i love smashing pumpkins, but i so wish they wouldn't have touched this song. No one should ever sing it except Stevie. One of the greatest songs of all time.

lisha said...

I love this song. It makes me reflective every time I hear it. Thanks for including it on Tunesday. (that was hard to spell, I had to try like 4 times to get it right!)

gab said...

This was a great clip! Combining Dave, Stevie, and one of my all-time fave songs.

p.s. I would love to meet you in Boston someday. You could show me all your favorite hangouts!

Lauren in GA said...

Dave looks young...

I really, really love this song. It is making me teary...I can't imaging why.

diane said...

This will be my empty nest anthem. Seriously, I will be a mess in one year when my baby graduates. All I can say is, it is a damn good thing my son will come home from his mission before she leaves for college. But then he will leave too...children get older...I'm getting older too.

HappyBack said...

I like the original, I like the Dixie Chicks cover, I like the Smashing Pumpkins cover... if I'm ever a musician, I will cover this song myself.

Oh, and who's Jessica? Where did she come from? lower-case jessica, I mean, not capitalized-Jessica.