The following is the narrative written when Skip received a Bronze Star in Iraq. (I took out our last name for privacy purposes). The picture above includes one of the men whose life was lost during the incident. I am proud of my husband, I am proud of what he does. I support his career as a US Army Soldier, but I cannot wait for this war to be over.
May 4, 2006 Sergeant First Class (SFC) Alfred B distinguished himself with valor for his actions following an IED strike on a vehicle in his platoon on ASR Jackson in the vicinity of CP543. Earlier in the morning an IED blast had damaged the platoon Buffalo, resulting in two flat tires, and a damaged hydraulic arm. Immediately after linking up with recovery assets and continuing the return to base, the lead RG-31 in the convoy was struck by a devastating IED blast, killing two Soldiers, and wounding three. SFC B quickly maneuvered his platoon to ensure security at the scene. Upon doing this, he pulled his vehicle closer to the blast and dismounted with the platoon medic rushing to the scene. Soon after dismounting, an RPG was fired at the patrol. With the medic, he quickly began administering aid to a wounded Soldier who had been thrown from the vehicle in the blast.
After ensuring the casualty was in good hands, SFC B ran to the vehicle which had burst into flames, and helped lower a casualty from the gunner turret and immediately saw to his care. Recognizing a Soldier was still trapped inside the vehicle now engulfed in flames, SFC B and two other Soldiers immediately began a successful rescue attempt. With little regard for his personal safety, SFC B climbed into the rear of the flaming vehicle and began fighting to the front where the wounded Soldier was. SFC B was turned back several times by heat and flames. After reaching the trapped Soldier and cutting him free with CLS scissors, SFC B immediately began first aid on the Soldier. SFC B did not waver in his determination, ensuring he would not rest until the trapped Soldier was pulled from the vehicle.
Soon after his removal, the ammunition in the vehicle began to cook off, exposing SFC B and the platoon to another danger. Heat from the fire was so intense that it melted the ballistic windows. He backed his Soldiers away from the vehicle and continued to care for the wounded and ensure they received the best possible treatment.
SFC B’s actions clearly reflect a life lived by the Army Values. His actions embody the spirit of the phrase, “leave no man behind.” By climbing into a flaming vehicle in an attempt to save a trapped Soldier’s life, SFC B demonstrated to his men the true meaning of the words personal courage. His actions set an example for all the Soldiers who hear his story, and will never be forgotten by those who watched him risk his life to save another. SFC B’s actions are in keeping with the finest values which we as an Army hold dear. His fearlessness in the face of danger is an inspiration to all Soldiers, and goes above and beyond what could be expected from a Soldier and Noncommissioned Officer. His actions reflect great credit upon himself, the 5th Engineer Battalion, the 16th Engineer Brigade, the 4th Infantry Division, and the United States Army.

PROPOSED CITATION FOR THE BRONZE STAR WITH V DEVICE MEDAL TO SFC ALFRED B FOR HEROISM IN CONNECTION WITH MILITARY OPERATIONS AGAINST A HOSTILE FORCE IN IRAQ IN SUPPORT OF OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM. SFC B DISTINGUISHED HIMSELF WHILE PERFORMING DUTIES AS A PLATOON SERGEANT IN BRAVO COMPANY, 5TH ENGINEER BATTALION DURING AN INSURGENT AMBUSH ON 4 MAY 2006. SFC B, WITH LITTLE REGARD FOR HIS PERSONAL SAFETY HELPED PULL TWO SOLDIERS FROM A BURNING VEHICLE. SFC B'S PERSONAL BRAVERY AND CALMNESS UNDER EXTREME DURESS REFLECT GREAT CREDIT UPON HIMSELF, THE 5TH ENGINEER BATTALION, THE 16TH ENGINEER BRIGADE, THE 4TH INFANTRY DIVISION, AND THE UNITED STATES ARMY.
This is the memorial over in Iraq dedicated to the four men from his unit who lost their lives during their mission.


17 comments:
Wow...
Please tell him thank you for me!
And thank you for so selflessly supporting him so he can fight for all of us.
Andrea, thank you for sharing this! I am so grateful for all those who serve in the armed forces! It makes it even more real when you know someone's husband who is in the army. Skip has amazing courage! What a great guy! You must be so proud! You lucky girl you!
Everything I could possibly say sounds trivial. I too am proud and supportive of our military.
You married a real hero!
I'm with Rynell, it really is hard to come up with fitting words. Glad you shared this. Men and women like Skip give this country something to be VERY proud of.
This made me proud to know Skip through you. Tell Skip thank you for his service. Don't you feel a "swelling in your bosom" when you realize how blessed you are?
Nothing quite like it!
Wow.
WOW!!
I cried through this... cried for the lives lost, cried for Skip and his amazing courage, and cried for you that you have to worry about him when he is gone...
There are not many men who would risk their lives to save another anymore. Men like that are hard to find. You are a lucky girl.
Wowza! Thank you for sharing this with us. And thank you Skip for your courage and dedication.
Thank you for sharing this with us. My dad fought in Vietnam and I know he would've and did the same thing for his "brothers".
I am honored to "know" you and him. I am so grateful to live in this country and have brave men and women fight for my freedom.
Please tell him thank you for me and my family. And thank you for supporting him, especially when he's away!
So cool. Really cool. Made my boys listen to me read it to them. "Cool" was their word, I think it means they were impressed, as am I.
Thanks Skip!
Thank you Skip, we honor you.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
You are one of the good guys.
Thanks Andrea for supporting him.
My hat's off. Wow!
courage. quite an attribute. i'm learning more about it everyday. thanks for such a great example skip.
Skip is awesome. Seriously. I joke around a lot, but I don't want anyone who reads this to think I'm being cute or trite. Skip is friggin' AWESOME.
YAHOO! You ROCK Skip! This really is amazing...thank you for all you have done, are doing, and will continue to do!
Wow. What a stud. Thanks for being a good wife, too, and sharing him with the country!
Amazing... thumb sucking prevention has gotta be a cake walk after that.
I too have no words to express my gratitude to both you and Skip. Thank you doesn't seem adequate but it's all I've got. I hope that I live in such a way that shows my gratitude towards our country and the men and women who live and die to keep it free.
Post a Comment