Without a doubt, Utah is a unique place. Here are the top 10 signs you've arrived at SLC International Airport: 1. 80% of the women you see are blonde.
2. 80% of those women have the Posh Spice bob and Jackie O sunglasses.
3. All airport security positions are filled by Polynesians. And you are more intimidated by the female guards than the male.
4. You see a black guy.
5. You spend five minutes watching him to see if you can figure out which sport he is likely playing at which university.
6. The line to check in is really, really long. However, more of the line space is taken up by strollers than actual passengers.
7. There are more bread stores than any other airport in the country. Thank the pioneer ancestors for that one.
8. If you are Mormon, you will run into someone you know from college, a previous ward, or a mission.
9. There are still signs up that say "Mitt for President!"
10. You may also find the smaller signs that read "Fly JetBlue... the Church is True!"
I could never live in Utah. There are some wonderful people there, and it is a beautiful state. I love to visit there, but I am not a Utah girl at heart. I did have an incredible time at both the BYU Women's Conference, as well as Blogapalooza. Every day this week, my goal is to post about a highlight from the trip. Stay tuned...
15 comments:
Too bad you would never live here. I would love to have you as a neighbor.
Don't forget, you will probably see a missionary or two coming home while at the airport.
I think I just posted under my husband...that would have been awkward (my kind of girl!) Can't wait to read more hi-lights!
Do you ever play the "Guess who's a Mormon" game to yourself while flying into or out of Salt Lake? I always do. You look around the plane, assume 25% of them are Mormon, and then try to guess which ones they are.
It's usually easy- the whitey's nearly always are; add in blonde hair, blue eyes, and (for some reason) wire-rimmed glasses on the men, and the chances shoot up to about 95%.
The dark-haired whiteys can be tougher. You have to watch for collared shirts, short haircuts, and clean-shavenness. Tattooed folks? they can be 50-50 converts/used-to-be-inactives. Blacks? 15-25%. Mexicans? 50-60%- if they can afford to fly, probably closer to 75%.
Take into account the destination/accent factor. Going to L.A.? about half of those with L.A. accents are likely to be members. Going to Atlanta? 90% of those with southern accents are probably just on a connecting flight.
Here's the thing: No conversations are allowed. That makes it such a dead give-away that it's practically cheating.
And here's the best part: You never really know if you guessed right or not!
Now be sure to play on your next flight through Utah, and let me know how it goes!
You are spot-on with your Utah tribute. I think I would have a hard time living in Utah. I'm sure I would be an outcast because I wouldn't conform to the blond hair, Posh haircut. Happy to hear the Blogapalooza was a hit. Can't wait to hear about it.
So Andrea-
I swear that I wrote you A BIG BIG Thank You for the awesome CD's that I was the lucky recipient of and I can't find it under any of your comments....Am I going crazy?
Anyways, Thanks for the great collection of music you compiled. I too always have music on and it usually xm radio and I tire of the same songs....your cd's are so fun and I love them all!
Thanks for spending the time and energy....we can't sing around here either so it's nice to hear the pros and to have such a good selection. I would love playlists.
ashlistorheim{at}msn(DOT)com is my email.
Can't wait to hear the highlights.
Funny take on the SL airport. Every one I know that has lived here before and then moves and visits always has something to say about the airport. It is definitly one of those places that you could people watch for hours.
I am just glad to say that I am not one of those blond, posh haircut kinda gals from Utah. Perfectly glad to call this place home but don't paticularly love the look....and it keeps getting more and more distinct.
enough from me....
but seriously Thanks Again! I love the Tunes!
LOVE IT! The Rocky's are my roots but my heart belongs in the East!
I play the same game as HappyBack! So funny!
My husband and I were born and raised in Utah and now that we have lived outside of Utah, we really don't want to move back. I am like you, it is fun to visit and it is just beautiful there!
OK. I read your newer post first. Now I get it. Yes, Utah is strange for all those reasons.
Wait a second people...Utah isn't THAT bad...
You beat me to the punch. I was going to do a little "You know you're in Utah when . . . " post. Do you suffer reverse culture shock when you go there? I certainly do. I don't think I could ever live in Utah. What happened to the DIVERSITY?
So there are a lot of black men in the Palouse? Who knew?
I grew up in So Cal and had a Utah roommate amazed at the fact that I had a Chinese boyfriend. I don't think she had ever met a Chinese person before. Amazingly, she wasn't blonde. I also had a class with this way good-looking black guy that I enjoyed flirting with and was horrified to hear a girl ask him what sport he played. That's what I get for going to BYU.
And I lived in Heritage Halls. I know thosse bathrooms well.
I'm pretty sure Posh came here and copied all of us because we have been sporting that look for a LONG time!!
you forgot to mention the whole zebra stripe hair thing.
Awesome post!
OH yes, thank you for reminding me of just a few of the simple reasons I'm happy to occasionally visit Utah, but we too shall never live there again (if we can help it). No offense to my brothers there, but we are ment to live among the mixed and diverse...so let me just add that Jacksonville, North Carolina is driving us nuts too.
Still, its a beautiful place, and I'll go visit when $ allows, but I appreciate it more once I'm Home.
Yeah, it's a weird place.
The haircut thing and big sunglasses thing always make me laugh. Don't forget all the 30 and 40 something women one-upping each other with their designer jeans and handbags...
Amen, sister. Amen!
(Still trying to catch up - I'm so mad I've missed you all these weeks. Not sure what happened...)
Post a Comment