Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Oh No You DIT-INT


Remember back in December when Skip went to the dentist? Yes, the potentially racist dentist?
Remember how everyone advised us to find a new dentist? Well, we figured we'd give him one more shot. His staff is super, and we never have problems with our insurance. Why rock the boat?
Here's why.
I took the boys in last week. One of the boys (names withheld to protect the guilty) had a bit of plaque build-up. I figured I'd use the dentist to help reinforce the point of good oral hygiene. So I asked the dentist, "What can we do to prevent this kind of build-up in the future?" And the dentist turns to my son and says, (and yes, this is a DIRECT QUOTE)
"There comes a time boy, when you have to start doing things on your own. You don't want your mom always telling you what to do, because that just makes you a pussy."
Yes. The P-WORD if you can believe it. I stood there in total stunned silence. Even the hygienist was at a loss for words. Thankfully, my son had no idea what just happened, and nodded in agreement that he should take the initiative to brush his teeth better.
However, the boat is officially rocked. I will be writing a letter to express my disgust, and we will be finding a new dentist. WHO SAYS THAT KIND OF STUFF IN FRONT OF KIDS? The unprofessional nature of it is bad enough, but in front of my child? The previous racist remarks could've been just ignorance, leftover from a different generation, potentially poorly chosen words. But this?
Nah. We're through.

19 comments:

Jessica said...

You totally promise you didn't make one word of that up? Because I don't know if I've read something more unbelievable than that. You should report him to the better business bureau, because people need to be warned about him.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i swear jessica. i even have the hygienist as a witness. pretty crazy, huh? who does he think he is???!!

Skip said...

I have an appointment to sit down with "Dr Mangele" at the end of the month. I'm thinking about doing a little extraction of my own. Old school style. Love ya baby!

Clair said...

surely he said pANSY...
yikes, a wonder he is still in practice
flashback- several years of orthodontics and the highest embarrassment one could receive on a visit there was to be diagnosed with "bug poop"- the office just thought this was an oh so clever way of saying plaque

D-dawg said...

WHAT?!?!?! I'm dying here Andrea that is just unbelievable. I would've been completely shocked myself. I hate that word. Please get a new dentist asap and write a horrible letter. So sorry.

HILLARY said...

I don't know if I could've held my tongue. I know there is a website that you can rate your Dr or Dentist. I'll find out what it is and let you know. I hope you report him to whomever you can. That is SOOOO unacceptable! Can yo tell I'm a little peeved! All the way out here in Cali. Being that I work for an Oral surgeon, I don't think I could keep my mouth shut if he were to ever say anything like that. I hope that hygienist talked to him and told him to shove it. I think there is smoke coming out my ears......

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

I can't believe you actually gave him a second chance. I know you can speak your mind, so you better. I am disgusted!

Bridget said...

That is so awful. I say get on that letter NOW. I can not even imagine how disgusted I would be.

My best friend in high school was black. I lived in California and assumed racism was a thing of the past. When she told me all her neighbors on her street put their houses up for sale when they moved in (these people were just moving to the other side of the neighborhood) I was totally confused. Why would they do that? It literally didn't even cross my mind. Now I am aware of it.

I am so sorry. I would be outraged too if I were you.

Tristan said...

Unacceptable! Report him to the proper athorities! That is really odd as it is shocking.

martha corinna said...

Is that a bad word? Because if it is I should really stop using it.
Seriously though, what is wrong with that guy? Did you give him hell, or at least teach him more appropriate words to use which would broaden his limited vocabulary?

Desi said...

That is ludicrous and no not the rapper! (I know spelled differently)

I would definitely be writing letters to whoever I could. Hey here's an idea, call the local newspaper or tv station so they can get the word out to the community.

I grew up in Idaho and it was certainly not acceptable to talk like that in front of anyone, especially a woman or a child!

Idaho also isn't as racist as people think, although this guy doesn't do Idaho any favors. Just a few crazys up in the North. When Ari's dad found out I was from Idaho he asked me if my Dad was in the KKK. I laughed, he was serious, but no my Dad's not!

Anyway, long comment so I'll stop now, but get on that letter writing right away.

calibosmom said...

Was your creepy 40 year old son sitting in the dental chair? Why would he say that to a kid? WACKO! I'm quite certain your ex dentist was unloved as a child and his mom obviously never cared about him and taught him some manners.

gab said...

I was already anti-dentite before reading this. Un. Be. Lievable!

Katie said...

wow, speechless... almost. Were you able to hold your tongue? Oh, he would have got it right then and there... followed up by nast letter... llowed up by nasty letter to the ADA (american dentists association, right?, ha)

HappyBack said...

Tell Skip that when he goes in for his next appointment, he ought to say to the Dentist,

"I'ma show you what we do to people who call our kids pussies in Watts."

Then have him pound on his chest twice, closed right fist to the left breast, thumb-side towards the body, then throw the same hand up with a "West Coast" Gangsta W sign. Then he can scream out "LBC gonna roll all ovuh you ass, biznatch" or some such silliness. The white supremacist-militia dentist won't understand it anyway, he'll just poop his pants in racist fear.

Lisa-Marie said...

I was steamin' when I read your post. Now, I'm giggling. I like happyback.

Okay, I'm ready to be mad again. WRITE THAT LETTER. And please, post a copy on your blog for us all to read!!!

The Mencl's said...

So sorry! That is awful. Did you say anything to him? I hope you write the letter. And get a new dentist!

Heidiram said...

I can not believe it. Write that letter. That dentist has no business being in business. I've heard of bad bedside manner, etc. but this takes the cake. Completely UNACCEPTABLE.

Carrie Ann said...

i have no words to express my amazement...