After Massachusetts, we "swung by" Georgia. My parents dropped me off there, probably thrilled to finally be rid of me, and I spent a few delightful days with some long time family friends. I can honestly say I have never been anywhere so humid in all my life. The air was so wet, I felt like I could actually lick it. I even tried, which ended with me probably looking like an idiot.
Tara and Andy and I grew up together. Our families are all close friends, and we've known each other for a long time. They got married, which is always cute in my book... marrying someone with whom you have a far-reaching history. If they loved you through high school, you've pretty much got it made, because people only get better from there, right? One of my favorite memories of Andy is playing "At This Moment" by Billy Vera, me on the piano and him on his sax. He was pretty good on the sax, which made me sound pretty good on the piano. My memories with Tara are so numerous, I could never even begin to list them all. I will say, however, there were times when both furniture and laws were broken, and now here we are, all grown up and responsible. There's hope for everyone.
Paul and Valerie are Tara's parents. If there is one thing I have been surrounded by in my life, it's good humor. Almost everyone I consider a dear friend has a remarkable ability to find humor in both good and bad times. This may be one of the most significant things that has shaped the person I have become. Paul and Valerie are no exception. As a matter of fact, they're probably just about at the top of the list. I blame them for at least 40% of the laugh lines currently etched into my face.
Tara and I had a great time catching up. We celebrated her birthday, and spent the day at a delightful art gallery in Marietta.
There was a semi-interesting Civil War exhibit,
and this piece of art which actually made me feel something. I am not really much of an art aficionado. As a matter of fact, given that I usually feel nothing when looking at most art, I may actually be an art aficionada. Ba-dump-bump! But this painting grabbed my heart. I felt like there were people I knew who could have been the subject of this piece, and there was emotion all over the canvas.
The time I spent with these friends went far too quickly, and every minute was filled with conversation, laughter, and appreciation for one another. It felt wonderful.
When I got to the the airport in THE ATL, I met up with blogger extraordinaire, LAUREN FROM GEORGIA. If you blog, you probably know Lauren, because she probably reads your blog. She also probably leaves the most flattering and observant comments you've ever received, which strokes your ego in such a way that you leave feeling both edified and conceited. It's a gift she has. Anyway. We spent several hours just visiting over lunch, and she was every bit as kind, generous and gracious in person as she is in blogland. It was great to finally meet her, and I was also pleased to verify her existence to the rest of my friends.
6 comments:
Lauren is so beautiful both IRL and in the blog comments. You are so lucky to have a catch up with her.
Lauren is so beautiful both IRL and in the blog comments. You are so lucky to have a catch up with her.
Fun trip and all (Oh that baby is gorgeous!) but really excellent analysis of Lauren and her comments. I'm glad she exists in the flesh and not just in the recesses of my mind that need flattery.
You are so sweet. What you said about me totally made my day. Awwww, Schucks, Andrea.
I have noticed people saying ATL...and they also say, "Hotlanta"...I think that might be because it is hot in terms of the the Rap and Hip Hop music scene...but I say it's, "Hotlanta" because, as you perfectly expressed, it is freakin' hot and muggy. (I laughed at your explaining the air felt like you could lick it.)
I also enjoyed reading the line about the times where both, "furniture and laws were broken." You two sound like you were forces of nature.
And you KNOW I loved the, "art aficionada" and the "Ba-dump-bump!" You are funny, lady.
Still completely jealous that you got to meet Lauren!!!
This post has been one of my favorites of yours...for no other reason then I can actually hear you saying most of these things. It was like a commentary in my head in your voice...which is strange because it has been at least 7 or 8 years since I have been in the same room with you.
Still, loved the stories of you summer. Glad you had amazing adventures and great people to share them with.
Post a Comment