Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tunesday: A Whiter Shade of Pale



The first time I heard this song was in tenth grade biology. I know, weird. My teacher, Mr. Duluk, was amazing. Click on the link to read the tribute. Before every test, he would give us a musical trivia question. One day, he asked us who sang this song. Since it wasn't New Kids On The Block or Bobby Brown, my knowledge was being tested! He played it for us after the test, and I fell in love with the song. Skip and I were listening to it last night, and I said, "Man, I love this song." and he replied, "Yeah. Me too." And a Tunesday was born.



The lyrics are clearly symbolic, although some people debate the meaning. Is it about a drug overdose? A physical relationship? A bad dream? Given the era (late 60's), change "bad dream" to "bad trip" and it could be any of them.


Apparently, there are two more verses that have only been performed in live shows. Hook me up with a link if anyone finds it. That would be awesome to hear.

9 comments:

Christie said...

Where have I been that I have never heard this song before?

This isn't going to be like that one time when my husband made fun of me with the clerk at the gap for not knowing the song, "Yellow Submarine" when it played overhead.

Is it? IS IT????

Crap.

Tristan said...

Don't most of these type of songs have double meaning? I have heard this song but I know nothing about it.

Willma Fields said...

Love your blog. Do you mind if I FB it? So many of my blogging friends would appreciate your writing style and sense of humor.

Lauren in GA said...

I am actually surprised that I have heard this song before. I like it.

What an incredible teacher Mr. Duluk was/is. I read the link and I have to say that I dream of my kids having a teacher like that.

♥Shally said...

I still remember all the ranks of biological classification because of the great teacher I had in 7th grade. He was awesome.

Never heard the song. I guess me and Christie can hang together. :)

jessica said...

Of course I know this song! Although I've never been on a "trip" I can see how this song could be very...."trippy".

Kitty said...

I saw Procol Harum in concert in Las Vegas the summer before I started 8th grade. My second time I got a 'contact high' at a concert from the surrounding heavy smoke. I then bought the 45 because of that song, and Conquistador, as well, since my parents said 'no' to me buying the album to play on their LP stereo. (I had one of those little 45 'box' record players.)

This link gives all four stanzas: http://www.procolharum.com/w/w9901.htm

Kind regards, Kitty

the wrath of khandrea said...

wow. i can't imagine how crazy that concert would've been... in a totally placid sort of way.

thanks for the link to the lyrics. just as captivating as the first half... as i suspected!

Robin said...

Thanks for posting this. I've always liked the song. I wonder if the guy on the rock organ would have gotten more face time if he took off that goofy hood. Cause the rock organ totally makes this song.