
I recently "met" my first vegan. She seems extremely nice and I am learning things I didn't know. First of all, vegans aren't actually annoying. Although the cartoon above is kinda funny.
I didn't really know what the difference was between a vegan and a vegetarian, so I asked her.
She explained that vegans avoid anything that was derived from animals. Of course, that wasn't enough for me. I wanted to know more. Like the following:
1. Why is milk bad? Milk is natural. Is breastmilk off-limits for the vegan?
2. Why is honey bad? Jerry the Bee taught us a lot about what happens when bees and humans cease to codepend.
Those were the first questions I had for her. She answered them with what I assumed was behind the whole practice: prevention of cruelty to animals.
Of course, the website she sent me to was horrifying. But I couldn't imagine that all the meat and milk we consume comes from these terrible mass-marketing farms. So I asked another friend, who majored in Animal Agriculture, and who eats a lot of meat that she raises in the pasture near her house. I also zipped around online a bit, just to read up on it all.
What I learned was this: there are a lot of really strong opinions out there. I don't doubt that there are places that are filthy, disgusting and inhumane. And frankly, it's not impossible that I've unwittingly eaten meat from such a place at some point in my life. But I have to have faith in the federal government's ability to enforce guidelines and regulations, and ensure that most places are meeting a certain standard. The way I see it, everyone is entitled to their philosophies and opinions. If someone wants to live a vegan lifestyle, I think it would be an adventure at the very least. If someone wants to raise their own livestock to feed their family, again... one individual's adventure. Neither lifestyle works particularly well for me, so I have to have confidence that what I buy from my supermarket is brought to me via safe and ethical agriculture.
I am intrigued and fascinated to learn about vegan cooking. It is truly a skilled art. I am equally fascinated that I have a friend who knows how to slaughter, preserve and prepare an entire cow. I would fail miserably at either attempt. People are cool. I love diversity and really appreciate a variety of opinions. As long as no one's hating. Keep that in mind when you comment.
21 comments:
My oldest child, full of informative little tid bits, told me that an adult, on average, has 270 pounds of meat per year. She then asked me how many whole animals that would be. I gagged. Weak stomach.
People ARE cool!
My mom is one of those people that could slaughter a cow. In fact, that's what she did growing up in Tennessee. She was a little put off by my switch to vegetarianism at the ripe old age of 15, but she got used to it. Now that I can actually cook, she LOVES it!
And my dad calls me 2 weeks before I'm going to visit so he can stock up on any and all vegetarian specialty items I might need. I really appreciate how they can just accept my decisions without trying to sway me back over to their lifestyle.
I accept them, too, bologna and all- I don't need to preach to them. (So I'll admit I do tell Poppa to drink less energy drinks, and I tell Mama to do more yoga for her back, but that's just what daughters do, okay?)
I love diversity too. Although, I am with you. I will stick to my local grocery store and hope for the best. The thing that I think is interesting is that the Lord put animals on this earth for our consumption. I mean, I get that we shouldn't abuse them as they are living things. But bottom line, they are food.
ps i'm so happy that you're obsessed with my food! It makes me feel all special. ;)
I'm just always amazed at people that make that strong of a connection to what they WANT to put in their mouth and where it comes from or what it does once it gets inside. I don't make much of a connection beyond how it tastes on my tongue. Bad me.
My only question would be this: What would happen to all the animals if they weren't used for meat, milk, etc? Wouldn't there be way too many? How would that work?
Just curious.
I could never be Vegan! But, that's just me. I like to eating animals too much. To each his own!
I wish I liked vegetables more. They are okay but I couldn't imagine life without the variety that meat and eggs offer. With that said...I say people eat what they want to eat and be nice.
Well, what would happen to all the animals would probably be what happened to the horses when we banned shipment of horses to Canada (to their "glue factories.") A lot of people just opened the pasture gate and let them go and they starved to death. Not a fun ending!
Oh- and and as far as 270 lbs of meat, that's only about 1/4 of a cow, so don't be TOO nauseous. :)
By the way, I like my meat medium rare. ;)
I like beef. And eggs. And fish. And Ice Cream. I do not like Tofu. I do not like legumes. I do not like Soy Milk And I love my leather shoes and purse.
I obviously am a menace to some society.
I can't believe you've never met a vegan.
Obviously, I am not but I have friends who are. One makes her own almond butter and milk. It's impressive.
My daughter Hannah (21 years old) went through a vegan stage in HS. I supported her but I still cooked meat for the family - She broke down one day when I made Rootbeer Ribs and that was the end of her veganism.
Meat isn't important to me and I find myself eating less and less of it - although a crispy piece of bacon is hard to beat! I enjoy meat much more when I know it is organic and raised in a pasture under God's glorious sun. But that is dang expensive meat!
Jeni made me laugh. I am a menace to society, too.
I agree, the diversity in people is fascinating. I have a lot of respect for people that don't make bad food choices because they respect their bodies so much.
Awwww....little bees' legs get ripped off? That's sad.
I am disgusted by your breast milk question. Although I am pretty sure you weren't serious, it grossed me out enough that I had to put down my diet coke for a minute.
There. It's okay now.
Sometimes I think we compare our choices with other's choices in order to justify ourselves, which I think is a matter of pride. Other times I think it is important to compare in order to choose a healthy life style.
Of all the things I spend my money on, I think food is ultimately the most important because it has a direct effect on my health and my ability to reach my potential. It is essentially where my well being comes from. I was raised by parents who taught me to be a good steward of the land and to be educated about health and where my food comes from, and to not only be a consumer. For us, that means eating little meat, such as stated in the word of wisdom. The guidelines go well beyond coffee, tea, tobacco and alcohol, and I find the blessings that come from following the w of w go well beyond the blessings of the body. For me, it's pretty intuitive what I should and shouldn't be eating. I don't really feel that good after eating a steak, it's heavy and I feel gluttonous. I do however, feel great when I eat lots of vegetables.
I love to read books about food, and study cultures that are actually healthy and essentially free of obesity, heart disease and type II diabetes, it's interesting because most of these cultures follow the word of wisdom nutritionally speaking.
Sorry, I took your bait, but it's one of my favorites and regularly discussed around our dinner table.
You remember the deer in my tub last year? Ya. We do our own meat. I only allow Kendon to jerk the deer and I have him take the elk to a butcher. He coudl do it, but I think they can do better. Plus, one animal in my tub a year is moer than enough. Seriously. I had no idea what I was signing up for when I married him. He is super hot in his camo though! You understand that, for sure!
Thanks for this post. I've always been interested in what exactly a vegan is but never took the time to find out. Very interesting post.
Right now, I'd eat or not eat just about anything to lose the weight I have put on. My "comfy" jeans are now very uncomfortable. The only thing I find annoying about vegans is when you invite them over for brunch and they haven't told you they are vegan. You scramble to make something since you planned on serving soup & salad BOTH with cheese in them. Next time, bring your own damn food! I'm sorry, that wasn't very nice. I LOVE people!
Well, if I had the SF Farmer's Market at my disposal everyday, I would do it. Olive oil, salt and fresh veggies...everyday. Yum. Although, they would taste really good with cheese melted all over them too. Hm. Yeah, never mind.
You find vegans interesting?? Try "freegans". They only eat the food they can find behind grocery stores that has been thrown out but is still good. That'll be something to talk about..
mmm mmm mmm, nothing beats a bloody slab of cow ass for dinner!
By the way, you're wrong, vegans are, indeed, annoying. Including the one you were talking to. She was putting up a front to lure you in. What's next, Andre', a post on how swell those nice Scientologists are, with their neat-o test with all those swell personal, probing questions?
Why do I get the sense you will one day be passing out flowers at the airport in a robe with a shaven head
Speaking of airports, I'll have you know I paid 8 euros to log online from Munich and read about your new vegan lifestyle. Money well-spent. Now on to Ankara.
Hey HappyBack,
I'm the annoying vegan, and all I have to say is "Scientologists scare the living hell out of me!"
I don't mind if you think I'm annoying, just don't lump me together with the nausea that is Tom Cruise!
;D
Tom Cruise is afraid of you, too.
I'm actually being a bit facetious. Andre', remember Emily Daniels? She's gone full Vegan too. She's not annoying.
Now her friend who's been hitting on me? The one who's an Eco-terrorist and who advocates breaking into Chinchilla farms and letting them free into the wild...?
THAT broad is annoying. I'm pretty sure I'll only make out with her once or twice before I dump her. If she's lucky.
Post a Comment