So I had this little reality slap last week. The harsh truth of the aging process was thrown right at me. Observe this picture:

This is my college roommate and BFF Tiffany. She is one in a million. Here you can see Brandi, Tiffany and me. One of us is in labor. Two of us are there to lend moral support and possibly catch a flying newborn. Ah, good times. Good times.
This was my first experience with childbirth, and it was eye-opening to say the least. Wow. I can't believe I went on to have any of my own. Tiff was great though, and her beautiful daughter Sadie was born that day. That day was twelve years ago. TWELVE YEARS, people!
Wasn't she a gorgeous little newborn? I was quite the midwife. I stood there and stared at my poor exposed friend and thought HOLY CRAP, THAT MUST HURT LIKE HELL. I vaguely remember Tiff screaming at me not to look anymore, maybe she was afraid I was going to pass out.
So a few months down the road, Tiff was ready to start back to school. She needed a babysitter. I was up for the job. Or so I thought. What I really was up for was a total wardrobe and hair makeover, but that's another story in and of itself.

So I got to babysit the cutest little thing on earth. And Sweet Mother of Abraham Lincoln, that child could scream! My starkest memory is still being in sweatpants in the middle of the day, and wanting to take a shower and "do my hair" (we see how that worked out for me). I had to sit Sadie on the floor of the bathroom, and I kept sticking my head out the shower curtain saying, "Hey! Could you please stop screaming?" She didn't obey. Obviously I wasn't really ready for parenthood. Maybe not even really ready for babysitting.
This is my college roommate and BFF Tiffany. She is one in a million. Here you can see Brandi, Tiffany and me. One of us is in labor. Two of us are there to lend moral support and possibly catch a flying newborn. Ah, good times. Good times.
This was my first experience with childbirth, and it was eye-opening to say the least. Wow. I can't believe I went on to have any of my own. Tiff was great though, and her beautiful daughter Sadie was born that day. That day was twelve years ago. TWELVE YEARS, people!

So I got to babysit the cutest little thing on earth. And Sweet Mother of Abraham Lincoln, that child could scream! My starkest memory is still being in sweatpants in the middle of the day, and wanting to take a shower and "do my hair" (we see how that worked out for me). I had to sit Sadie on the floor of the bathroom, and I kept sticking my head out the shower curtain saying, "Hey! Could you please stop screaming?" She didn't obey. Obviously I wasn't really ready for parenthood. Maybe not even really ready for babysitting.
Here is Sadie, a few years later, holding my newborn. Oh, my SCREAMING newborn. I guess they all do that. Who knew! Thanks for breaking me in, little girl.

Sadie is now twelve. She is absolutely stunning. She is athletic and smart; she sings, travels, and makes killer Valentine cards. She lives with her mom and dad and now has three siblings. I don't offer to babysit any of them, because Sadie broke me.
I can't believe she is twelve. Those years flew by literally in the blink of an eye. I also can't believe her mom used an upside down five instead of a two on her birthday burrito.
I love you Sadie!! I'm so proud of you and love hearing about all of your accomplishments. Happy Birthday!!
14 comments:
Wow. She is breathtakingly beautiful. I also love that you said "sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln." You crack me up. Where do you come up with this stuff? Seriously.
Wow! She is gorgeous. Lock her up and throw away the key, she's stunning! As were you then and now, time hasn't hurt you a bit!!
She is gorgeous. Look at those eyes!
I love that things came full circle and she got to hold your newborn.
Tiff is resourceful...using the five to take the place of the two.
Yep. I hear you.
I saw one of my old students at a restaurant the other day.
She was a full blown WOMAN.
What happened to the 12 year old girl I knew???
I hate getting old...
Cute story and what a beauty the birthday girl is!
Thanks, You're a GEM. Too bad you didn't have a picture of Jordan trying to get his mack on this summer. You sure had some great picutres. I love Sadie's newborn picture.
THANKS!!! Love you
Okay. I'll say it.
A rainbow shirt? REALLY?
And I won't even go there with the other number you were sporting.
You were hot, chick. HOT.
I'm sorry i didn't let you take your shower. the same thing happened to me with ruby.I didn't know that babysitting me was so hard. I thought i was a great baby. My mom doesn't tell me what i was like. don't tell anyone but i think she growing senile. thank you taking care of me.sadie
P.S. Valentines is coming up any ideas?
What a lovely tribute to a beautiful girl.
christie... look closely. it's a university of hawaii 'bows shirt. not the dorothy hamil 80's deal.
nto to worry thought. the new guy made me throw out all the old UH attire. so it's gone.
Wow, you look like a tween in that first photo.
I love the name Sadie, so pretty, almost named Rosemary that, but since I come from a family of Beatleholics, I thought it best not to provoke a break out of 'Sexy Sadie' every time she was around.
AND, next time you come to town, call me and I will make you the chicken.
She is so beautiful! I hope she has a great birthday!
Love the old pictures of you!
Just got my little surprise in the mail today. Watched the whole 14 minutes and am amazed at:
1. How totally gorgeous all five of your kids are
2. How totally handsome and obviously smitten your Skip is.
3. What a spectacular photographer you are.
4. You drove down/up I-5... (I am assuming) to get to LA. When you reached Stockton you were within 20 minutes and you did not call. I would have met you at a Taco Bell where I would have eaten AND gotten a soda and you would have watched in horror. But at least then I would have met you. Don't make the I-5 mistake again. Please.
5. What cute dimples you have.
What a treat!!!!!!
You are hilarious, I love reading your blog! I always get excited when I see that you have a new post. :) And Sadie is beautiful! I thought that was supposed to be the awkward stage as far as looks go, Sadie looks like she's got it all figured out already!
Have a merry Christmas!
Post a Comment