Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dirty Mouth?

Once again, thanks to Jessica, our home is on its way to being a better place. (Although Skip, if you're reading this, it was totally my idea and Jessica was just trying out what I suggested to her.)
These kids of mine. Do they even really like each other? Doesn't seem like it. They can be so mean to each other, and the NAME CALLING... ai papi! It's horrible. So we implemented the system. We took the trash words, (see word bubble below) wrote them on papers, and threw them in the trash. We agreed it's okay to get angry at someone, but there have to be better alternatives to expressing that anger. We came up with four. (Funny, it was WAY easier to make the trash words list...)

So. The trash words are in the trash. The acceptable alternatives are posted on the wall. The "oops" jar has been created. (If they "forget" and use a trash word, the boys have to put a quarter in the oops jar. Noe just has to find some kind of coin... since they're all the same to her anyway, and she doesn't even get an allowance yet.)

So wish us luck. Lucky for me, I only use my trash words in private. So I'll be keeping all my money.

21 comments:

Christie said...

That Jessica is pretty full of good ideas. I like that you stole it and pretended it was yours. I'd totally do the same thing except all the quarters in the jar would be mine.

Anna said...

Do not, I repeat, do not let Murray read your blog entry. He delights in pushing my buttons until I cuss and then tells me I have a trashy mouth. There is no way I'm going to part with my measly allowance and put it into an oops jar.

diane said...

That inhales rapidly! (My son's replacement for that sucks.)

Tristan said...

Great idea! I was gonna ask if you had an oops jar cuz I am sure it is full of trash-talkin money ;)

brent said...

This sounds like a f'ing great idea.

♥Shally said...

Is there anything Jessica CANNOT DO!

Sheesh.

That girl makes us all look bad- unless we steal her ideas of course! :)

lisamarie said...

those trash talkin hooligans. they sure are cute though.

so i guess what you're telling me is that instead of saying "bite me" to the person who made me mad yesterday, i should've just said "i don't like that"? hmmm.. interesting....

lisamarie said...

"Pickle You, Kumquat!"

the best dirty mouth ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfh92hKLO6c&feature=related

Clair said...

I am just so glad that this is not a post about eating ramen noodles cut with scissors that have been in someones nose. I hate those commercials! Hope everyone is talking kindly. You may want to start singing "Let Us oft Speak Kind Words to each other..." No, that will actually probably backfire and just make everyone tense. Good luck!

lisha said...

I love that idea. My 7 year old was reading over my shoulder and asked about the poster. I think I know what we are doing for our next Family Home Evening. (like how I pretended we actually have it regularly?)

HappyBack said...

I did the same thing for my kids, except my trash words list (which I hung up in the living room in 12-inch high block letters) were: F***, Sh**, a**ho**, dou***bag, b**ch*ss, mother******, and of course, jerk.

The Home Teachers resisted when I suggested they do the same.

Oh well, if they want that kind of language spoken in their homes, who am I to judge?

Linsey said...

Slowly, but surely, Jessica is going to get us all translated.

Rynell said...

We've had to implement strategies such as this before. Once in awhile, we all still need reminders. Way to go with the nice list!

gab said...

Who is happyback? He cracks me up!

Red Seaglass said...

Douchbag!! O I remember steve saying that all the time! haha. Ya I know all about your dirty words. Koby wrote the word damn the other day when he was thinking about math. David caught him. We were asking him about it and he said he had heard me say it 2 times. I got the stink eye from David. I need to find a private place for my dirty words bc my place isn't private enough apparently.

Hazen5 said...

Love it! Thanks for the great idea. Your stick man is awesome and so angry!

calibosmom said...

I have dirty rooms and you have dirty mouths...we're even!

Jessica said...

Your handwriting is way cuter than mine. And I think I have used SUCK, like, a million times this week, but I only added to the jar if it was in front of my kids. They don't need to know I told my friends how SUCKY they were acting.

Ilene said...

My kids haven't figured out trash words... it helps when only one can really talk.

However, Jackson informed me the other day that Dan says "Crap" when he plays Halo. Oh, Jackson I'm glad that is the only word you can remember him saying because he typcially says A LOT worse which is a reason why his XBox is up for sale right now.

By the way I often wonder what would Jessica do when in a parenting crunch (WWJD). Ah, that is a whole other post, huh?

Hollyween said...

Such a good idea. I need to do this. My kid says 'suck'. It sounds a lot worse when he says it. And when he says fart, that one doesn't sound so great either. How come it's funny when I say it?

HappyBack said...

Just to let Hollyween know- "Fart" is always funny, no matter who's saying it. Or doing it.