
There are, however a few tricks, tips, and schools of thought that do indeed make it easier to navigate any life challenge with resilience. Let's see if I can sum them up.
1. Prayer. If you're not religious or spiritual, then you won't gain as much from this one. But as I've said repeatedly, I have had days where I felt stronger than my own strength, and I know it came from those prayers offered on my behalf. My ability to remain positive, optimistic, and focused is increased by Divine power. Look for it, identify it, and appreciate it.
2. Self-assessment. Identify your strengths and weaknesses. We all have some that are very specific to us. Any on these lists that you identify with?

It's important to know what you're good at, as well as what you struggle with. If you don't know your strengths, how will you capitalize on them? And if you don't know your weaknesses... wait, let me rephrase that. We all KNOW our weaknesses. Painfully so. But if we don't acknowledge them as realities, then how can we overcome them? Get to know yourself. In a brutally honest way. Then, work with what you have.
3. Maintain Perspective. I once took a course that suggested when you are confronted with "bad news" of any kind, to immediately make a three-fold mental list. First: Worst case scenario. Second: Best case scenario. Third: Most likely reality. The three will never be the same, and more often than not, the most likely reality will indeed be the most likely reality. Be dramatic with your best and worst, because it makes the reality seem more appealing. Here's a little exercise you can try.
Scenario: Your bank account should be reading with a few more numbers than just zero.
Worst case: You are the victim of identity theft. Someone has hacked into your entire life, stolen all your money, passwords, and probably also the racy pictures you sent your husband. You will be financially ruined, and never get a job again after the pictures circulate on the internet.
Best case: Publishers' Clearinghouse is now working electronically, and when they secretly set up an account with your bank for your winnings, the bank went ahead and transferred your existing funds into the new account. You're set for life.
Most likely scenario: The bank's server is down for a few hours, and your transaction balance is unavailable.
Do you see the point here? Try to squelch any unnecessary anxiety by giving it a voice, balanced with humor. It really works.
4. Energy Management. When you are in a challenging situation, your stress level is higher. There are biological factors at play, which you have to get under control or they will rule you. Not sleeping well? Not eating well? No exercise? Good luck, kimosabe! Oh, and you still think you can swing cookies for the bake sale, getting your kids to all their activities, keeping your house clean, maintaining the laundry, grocery shopping, maybe a part or full time job in there... yeah. Not happening. Just yesterday, someone asked me to drop a book off at someone else's house. I said, "You know, I would love to say yes I'll do this, but the chances of it sitting on my floor for 2 weeks are pretty good. I'm sorry. I can't do it." Could I make an effort to prioritize better, organize better, and ensure that it gets done? Absolutely! But that requires more energy on my part; one more thing for me to have to throw on the pile. And it's not worth it at this time in my life. So while a teeny part of me felt pathetic for not being able to deliver a book, the realist in me was so thankful that I was honest.
5. Say Yes. Now I realize I just advised you to say no a little more often, and this may seem contradictory. But here's when it works: When people offer to help you. If someone says, "Hey, let me run the kids to practice for you tonight," they wouldn't be offering if they didn't genuinely want to help. Sure you can continue to be Super-Person, and try to do it all yourself. Or you could let the neighbor run the kids for you, and use that time to throw some dishes in the dishwasher, return a couple emails, or sit on the couch and do nothing. And get over yourself while you're at it. Who do you think you are, anyway? If you're out there trying to be the person who does it all, not only are you lying to yourself, but you're making the rest of us look bad. So cut the crap and accept some help. You're not as awesome as you think you are,
What are your survival tips for tough times?
10 comments:
Well, on my List would certainly be getting advice from you.
Loved that post. Especially the strengths/weaknesses one. I actually started to gloss over it and then forced myself to go back and read it carefully because I realized I was skipping it because I didn't WANT to think about my weaknesses that closely. So anyway, obviously I need to work in that one.
You are awesomeness.
Good advice. I have nothing to add because life is too damn hard right now. Unfortunately feeling sorry for yourself is not on your list so I think I might have to get over myself!
I know that this is a very, "Lauren-esque" thing to say...but seriously...this was a great post.
I know that I have told you that I think you should write a human interest column for the paper because your social commentary is always so spot on.
...now I demand that you go on a speaking circuit to share these self-help ideas...because they are so spot on, too...
...and in answer to your question...my survival tips for tough times are to handle things with humor (like you said) and at times allow myself a goooood, loooooong, ugly cry...and then I try to dry up and get on with it.
My survival tip? Good friends. Both online and IRL. Being able to vent without fear of judgment makes life easier and your burdens lighter.
Also-- Modern Family helps. A good laugh is a remedy for just about anything... :)
You made and awesome list, cuz well...let's face it. You ARE awesome :) And I like what others have added. Ironically this list comes in handy for me as Ryan leaves me for an entire week in the U.K. for business in about a week. Now, I know a week fails massively to compare to your situation. But, I appreciate it none the less.
You are definitely one of my favorite people I've never met! :) I have never analyzed how I handle things...I kind of get stuck on the "well clearly it's because I'm awesome" (...and tough...and independent...and capable...) mentality. But I loved your coping strategies, it is a much healthier way of dealing with things. I'm so glad you still take the time to blog and inspire the rest of us, whose current challenges are not even in the same realm of difficulty as yours. Your alternatives to dealing with life made me laugh. We all have a little "fight" in us to get through the tough stuff, some people just repress it a little longer than others! While I don't know exactly how awesome YOU think you are, I'm here to say I think you are incredibly awesome!!
Clearly you ARE awesome as evidenced by these wise thoughts you have shared.
Prayer is key during the especially cruddy times. I can also be an independent person. I don't want to burden people with my problems. Unfortunately, I also do this "I can handle it all" act with the Lord. I have been having a crash course the past few months on placing my burden upon Him. While I still face the same crappy life challenges, the burden has become so much lighter with His help. Prayer has done wonders.
"What are your survival tips for tough times?"
Crystal meth.
I am loving your tips, because sugar, and more sugar and naps is not working for me. Thanks so much!
"It" is pretty tame nowadays. Now if I was referring to racy pictures . . .
Post a Comment