Tuesday, December 13, 2011

So. Funny Story...

So as you may or may not know by now, there was a stray in the neighborhood. It was a young, fairly nice looking cat, and my neighbor took pity on it and set up a little box on her porch because it's a bit chilly out. She, however, is severely allergic to cats, so keeping it was out. She spread the word in the neighborhood, and while I felt a twinge of pity for the poor thing, I was certain we didn't want it.


Apparently, I was alone in my thinking on that one. Last Saturday, I was studying in my room while the kids were in and out playing with friends. After a few hours, I came downstairs, and what did I find?


Does this more or less resemble a cat bed to you? As well it should. My daughter, in her 8 year old heart of generosity, set up a bed with towels and an umbrella in the garage. She had fed the cat a can of tuna and a bowl of milk. For real.

So what was I supposed to do now? Really. I wanted to know. So I put it up on FB, and was blown away at how many people told me to keep it and name it. I thought it was a joke. Nooooo... no joke. I conceded, just for the weekend. The shelter was closed, and it was cold out. So we went and bought a disposable litter box, and some Kashi cereal real cat food, and let the thing hunker down for the weekend. My daughter took great care to organize Daddy's garage as follows:




So the weekend passes. What happens? Everyone decides the cat is awesome. A few people even help clean up its litter box. Whaaaaat...??? No lie. Monday rolls around, and the shelter is still closed. By Tuesday, I'm tired of buying disposable litter boxes. So I take the cat to the shelter. My man and I have talked back and forth all weeekend about maybe, possibly, why don't we consider, here's a wild and crazy idea, keeping the cat. I run this by the woman at the shelter, just on a silly whim. She is all in favor of the idea. She tells me she has to post the cat for 48 hours to see if anyone claims it. At that point, we can come back and adopt the cat.


Which we do.



Of course it needs to be spayed, so we leave it over the weekend. It gets all its shots and other important things done, and returns to us wearing the cone of shame. We pick it up, and suddenly, just like that, we are now the owners of the cat. Since it has the cone, it can't go through the pet door we are going to install, so we have to keep the cat in the downstairs bathroom. So my bathroom looks like this: (*please note happy child)




Also, the downstairs bathroom is off limits for HUMANS. Cats can use it all they want, but apparently, WE cannot:

She is actually a lovely cat. She is very affectionate, mellow, and so far, obedient. She needs a name. But at least now she has a home... because I am a SUCKER generous and loving mom.

13 comments:

martha corinna said...

She looks exactly like my cat, which is a Maine Coon, Maine Coons have pretty distinct markings. Google them. I love mine, he is my side kick and so much fun.
Good luck! You are a great mom, one of the reasons I am so grateful for my mother is because she took in strays and allowed us to love them. I had a blessed childhood because of being able to care for animals.
Yeah the litter box smells, yeah I hate the dog poop in my back yard, but my children receive unconditional love from our pets and they learn how to be responsible for them.

Lauren in GA said...

I just left a comment...but it said there was a conflict. Blogger used the word conflict...not me...how is it I always cause conflict?

I'm not sure if you got my comment or not...

martha corinna said...

If I sound like an awesome mom when it comes to animals, I'm not, we had two cats before Boaz (my husband tried to name our son that, it is much better suited for the cat) and they both were eaten by coyotes. So Boaz stays indoors.
One more thing, if she is a Maine Coon she probably has a pretty serious coat and sheds like crazy. I got a special brush called the furminator. It's on amazon. Wonderful.

Missy Thresher said...

You are a wonderful mom and cat savior! So thankful it is working out. I LOVE NOE's adorable signs for the cat! How funny, does she know the cat can not read, or are the signs to keep the brothers straight on where things go? Lol, your story made my day.

Ilene said...

I can't stop laughing... at you. Sucker, indeed. But the nicest sort of sucker there is.

Noe's signs are my favorite things about this post. I suppose a cat getting a home should give me the warm fuzzes but, nope, it is the signs.

Enjoy Fido (or whatever you decide to name it).

Ilene said...

I can't stop laughing... at you. Sucker, indeed. But the nicest sort of sucker there is.

Noe's signs are my favorite things about this post. I suppose a cat getting a home should give me the warm fuzzes but, nope, it is the signs.

Enjoy Fido (or whatever you decide to name it).

Tristan said...

For the record, I told you not to keep the cat ;-)

But Noe is a sweetheart and is happy with her kitty. I suggest some Polynesian name for it, like your kids names. Then it will REALLY fit into the family! HA HA HA! Sucker! ;-) (I say that with love of course)

Lauren in GA said...

Well...you basically described how we ended up with our cat.

Noe is the perfect mama for that cat. She looks so happy.

I LOVE the way she spelled station. It is perfectly phonetically correct. Noe is a doll.

We took our cat to get, "fixed" and we thought it was a female. The doctor came out and said, "Congratulations! It's a boy!" I basically said, "Oh for pity's sake...I can't even get a girl cat."

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, and Ilene KILLS me. "I can't stop lauging...at you." and how she told you to name the cat Fido.

I think you should name her Georgia...in honor of the state I can't seem to escape from.

Jessica said...

Wow. Your Mom Awesomeness is now completely off the charts.

Seriously. A cat.

Jenibelle said...

That cat could not live in a lovlier, more compassionate and caring home. And her new adopted mother and sister are absolute jewels. Totally cracking up. Absolutely snorting at the combination. Andrea + Cat = Happiness for all.

calibosmom said...

At least it wasn't a dog or a racoon or something.

Steeve said...

Very pretty cat. I'm sure the kids especially love it during the winter as it is warm and furry.