Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Near Brush With Celebrity...

You will recall the slight obsession I have with this man:

Taj Mahal. I've seen him perform a couple of times, and I've debated whether it's appropriate for me to have a crush on him, or if I should instead embrace him as a surrogate grampa. I think outwardly, I'll act familial, but deep down inside, I'm in love with him. So last night I went to the airport to pick up my husband. (Please don't get me started on how this morning, I sent him off yet again, after seeing him for a mere 12 hours. Stupid Army.) We got up there a bit early, so I took the kids to IHOP for a quick meal. We were shown to our table, and there, right at the adjoining table, was someone who looked EXACTLY LIKE Taj. I did a Looney-Toonesque double take, complete with AROOOGA eyeballs, and then I couldn't stop staring. I was painfully aware of my lack of social graces, but I couldn't help it. This poor man saw me doing all this, and it became apparent that I had to say something to explain myself. So what else was I supposed to say? "HAS ANYONE EVER TOLD YOU THAT YOU LOOK EXACTLY LIKE TAJ MAHAL??" I mean, the guy even had on the straw beach hat and the Hawaiian print shirt. He smiled at me and said, "Nope. No one."


"Oh. Well you do," I replied, still grinning like an idiot.


"Maybe that's because I AM Taj Mahal," he said.


"SERIOUSLY? YOU'RE TAJ MAHAL?" At this point, all three of my kids are kneeling on the bench, staring as foolishly as I am.


"Nope. I'm not. I just look like him."


"Oh. Okay."


And now what do you say? I'm still grinning from ear to ear, not sure whether or not I should take a chance and go hug him, lest I miss my once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. But what if it's not him??


So we four sit down, turn around, and giggle ridiculously while we debate the situation. My kids like Taj Mahal almost as much as I do. I'm sure the poor guy is sitting over there, thoroughly enjoying our idiocy.


He finishes before we do. He comes over to our table, asks us if we're here on vacation. I say no, we're heading to the airport to pick up my husband (JUST IN CASE... if it's NOT Taj, I don't want the guy to think I'm hitting on him... I AM married, after all.) (Although if it WAS Taj, then I kinda DO want him to know that I'd like to hit on him...I mean, in a platonic, familial way, of course...) He says to the kids, "Well you make sure and give him a big hug when you see him. Have a nice evening."


Then he leaves.


Five minutes later, the waiter comes over to our table, and tells us that the gentleman we were just talking to has paid for our meal, and wishes us a lovely evening.


And just like that... he was gone. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop???? The world may never know.

7 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I know I'm goofy, but I totally said, "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!" out loud when I read that he paid for your dinner. That was sweet.

You are hilarious. Truly. I totally belly laughed when I read, "complete with AROOOGA eyeballs" Great writing conjures up perfect (and high-larious) visual imagery like that.

Seriously though...he even had the hat?!!! I'd of thought it was him, too.


dun dun dun...maybe it really was...

Tristan said...

That is a seriously cool cool story!!! It HAD to be him!!

Christie said...

I have no clue who Taj Mahal is, but that is single-handedly the greatest story ever told. That is awesome. It's even better that you don't know for sure, isn't it. Just like a perfect mystery/happy ending.

Better than finding out he's some whacko, right?

Lisa-Marie said...

i kinda like it when you act like an idiot cause you don't do it very often.

i vote it was him.

and yeah for free dinner even if it wasn't!

calibosmom said...

So cool!!! I love getting a free meal. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good meal while I was sitting next to Ms "I'm gonna lift up the arm rest while you sleep so my muffin top can share the seat with you" at least one of us was having fun. I love you babe, miss you lots!!!

Lauren in GA said...

Poor Skip. No fair having to share his seat with a muffin top.