My ladylove, Lisa, recently wrote a post detailing how, in days gone by, she disliked a variety of things such as avocados, Aerosmith, Justin Bieber, and me. And then, crazy thing, life passes a bit, and suddenly you realize that maybe the things that so turned your stomach now bring you great joy. And while you kinda hate to admit it, at the same time, you feel good about your new found discoveries.
Do you have such a list? I do. Ohhhh boy, I do.
1. Water. My mom used to drink water all the time, and I thought it was so unadventurous of her. Glass of water with supper? PLEASE. There was juice or milk! Why would I choose water? And now... my 48 oz stainless steel bottle and I are seldom parted.
2. Going to bed early. I don't know about you, but my lame parents spent their weekend nights lounging on the couch, watching some tv, and then went to bed by 10 or 11:00. They DIDN'T EVEN GO OUT WITH THEIR FRIENDS! Seriously. Appalling to a 15 year old. Now, at 37, I find it brilliant. Indeed, I look forward to it.
3. Marvin Gaye. He sang Sexual Healing...ewwww... gross!!
-Not no mo'.
4. Beans. They made me gag. Red beans especially. One night, a certain female parent I know may have even forced them down my throat.
God bless the hamhock, which made the beans flavorful, which gave me great joy in ladling them over piping hot white rice sometime within the past 15 years of my life.
5. Frugality. Humiliating and STUPID as a teen. Brilliant, necessary, logical, satisfying to me now.
There are more, but it's 10:10 and as per aforementioned item number 2, I gotta go to bed.
How about you? What did you roll your eyes at and now sheepishly embrace?
12 comments:
Salad - yuck! Now I even eat it without dressing! No phone or TV in my bedroom. Back in the day I would have "Just died!", now I am glad to have a quiet place where I am not plugged in.
Brushing my teeth in lukewarm water. My dad used to do it and it GROSSED me out. Now? If I don't, my old lady sensitive teeth are screaming in pain. Funny how age changes you, eh?
German opera!
SQUASH be it yellow, zucchini, spaghett, pumpkin or butternut. I would have starved myself as a child had they been the only options.
Also, EXERCISE. Love the adrenaline, feeling the burn. The other night for YW we had a lady come and do a boot camp for us. After 15 minutes I turned around and the only people left were the leaders workin' up a sweat.
Asparagus, zucchini, flip flops and short hair. I am a changed woman!
Gardening, cleaning, mustard yellow, onions !, quilting, children:)
I sound like a grandma or something.
Parental PDA. Used to make me gag when my parents kissed. I know there is a line that can be crossed over to the gross side here...I'm talking about tasteful PDA.
Such a great post. I had to read the link because I had to know why Lisa didn't like you...
I used to be afraid of the computer...and didn't learn to e-mail until about a decade after the rest of the free world. Now we all know that I have a serious computer addiction.
I hated ham...now I love it...but still feel some misplaced guilt since I am of Jewish descent. Oh, and cabbage...it made my stomach churn...now I love it.
Beans. I've started eating them also. At the ripe old age of 37. Everything except kidney. Still can't stomach THAT.
How are you?
1) Elevator music. Classical, soft jazz... I even have a recording of xylophone music that my coworkers mock with rare fervor. F 'em, I like it.
2) A TV-free life. I was a huge TV junkie; I knew what time and on what channel every major TV program was on. I paid close attention to schedule changes and bemoaned the cancellation of my favorite shows.
Now, if it's not The Office, I couldn't care less. And I only watch The Office on the interwebs. I'm not even sure what network it's on.
Onions, asparagus, water.
I also love listening to Church music on weekdays. Who does that?
Oh- old people do...
1. Naps/being well rested.
2. Foods that used to make me gag: onions, beans and asparagus.
3. Having a vegetable garden.
Post a Comment