Saturday, April 10, 2010

Some Birthday Considerations

We had a birthday party here today. It was beautiful outside, which allowed me to apply my theory of hosting a child's bday party. My theory is this: give them some food and make sure no one dies. Simple. I like to look at it as one big playdate. They can jump on the trampoline, draw with sidewalk chalk, blow some bubbles, shoot some hoops, and run around and scream. I can observe it all from a comfortable seat on the porch, taking pictures as necessary. Organized games? Ha.


Another thing I spent some time thinking about today was this:

She scares me. Note the headset. I originally thought she wanted to buy it yesterday so she could pretend to sing, a la Hannah Montana. Imagine my surprise today when she put it on before her party and informed me she would be using it to "tell everyone at the party what to do." The little dictator events coordinator made regular announcements regarding trampoline rotations, mealtime, and pinata line order. It was hilarious. While some may find it bossy or annoying, I felt nothing but pride. I mean, HOW ORGANIZATIONALLY INCLINED IS MY DAUGHTER!?! I'm sure some day she'll end up friendless and alone, but just think of all the free time she'll have to organize her closet.

Lastly, something else to consider. Gift bags. I am both thrifty AND resourceful. I pride myself on these qualities. I think I've bought maybe ten gift bags in the combined total of 26 years that I've been parenting my kids. Do you reuse? I do. I have a special shelf in my closet where I keep the bags and fold up the tissue paper that my children's gifts came in.
Well APPARENTLY, Eric B. is not aware of the etiquette surrounding gift bag reusal. What was his colossal faux pas, you may ask? Observe:

HE WROTE ON THE BAG! How am I supposed to reuse this darling pink polka-dotted gift bag now? I tried wiping it off, but was only semi-successful. Nice going Eric B. Jeeze.

Go here for a few more family pictures and a teeny tribute to our two daughters celebrating birthdays this month.

15 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I loved every single thing about this post...from your theory on how to have a successful party (yes, I agree...nobody dying is a vanguard of a successful party) to your calling Noe an, "events coordinator" (oy, so good)...I was laughing the whole way through.

I, too, have a reused gift bag collection. Erik B. should be fined.

I LOVE the headset. I am laughing heartily at your prediction that she may end up alone, but her time management skills will allow plenty of time for those organizational projects that other mere mortals never get to.

Brynne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brynne said...

Oh my gosh, that was hilarious! I had tears streaming down my face as I read about Noe's headset to my husband! I loved the explanation. I thought you were going to say something about aspirations of taking orders at Taco Bell--not your daughter--clearly she will be GIVING the orders! The time to organize her closet was a priceless summary. In her defense, I think being bossy/organized whatever you wish to call it, comes natural for a LOT of girls (including my own)! Happy birthday to her!

Oh, and Erik does need a lesson on gift bag etiquette--you NEVER write on the bag!!

Signed, a fellow gift bag re-user

Paige said...

I need one of those headsets. That way everyone would listen and obey, right? Smart girl. But how do I get an organized child? I just need one.

Clair said...

Love it! Go Noe! I'm getting myself one of those headsets to use during family cleaning hour(s).

I agree- such a bummer when someone contaminates the bag. Tags can be torn off- but writing on the bag itself is so inconsiderate. Chances are the giver recycled as well, so that is very rude to say "the bag stops here."

Just yesterday, I shrieked with horror when I saw my Olivia stapling her homemade card to a giftbag. Definitly a teaching moment there.

Looks like a fun party! Love the detailed shots. And I hope that at least a couple of the kids will join Noe for her next celebration. ;)

Tristan said...

I totally reuse gift bags. Doesn't everyone? I don't reuse tissue paper though.

And Noe is just so you!! You have a head set of your own too, don't you? ;-)

The Prestwich's said...

Too funny. I have my own closet of bags. I must admit, when the giver leaves the tag on, unwritten upon, I am so pleased I can hardly stand it. I used to tell the kids no gifts at our parties ( since they are already fairly spoiled), but then that left me with no wrapping paper for giving gifts. I gotta do what I gotta do. Happy Birthday Noe.

Annemarie said...

Does she hire out for parties? How about summer vacation? I could use her and her mad head set skills around here...get the troops in line.

Annemarie said...

I totally re use bags, too. I get really excited when someone uses pretty ribbon on my gifts.

calibosmom said...

I can't imagine where she gets it... Just print out a cute picture and glue it over the writing. That irritates me too. I am a gift bag pimp. Happy Birthday to your girls!!!

Christie said...

I would rather my kids were bossy, assertive, friendless, and organized than sitting dumbly in a large circle of friends waiting to be told what to do. You have done well there, mama. Pat yourself on the back.

jessica said...

I love the head set...LOVE it! And darn that Erik B., clearly he doesn't recycle gift bags like the rest of us...

Ilene said...

My MIL writes in marker on the kids' bags. As a fellow bag conservationist, this fact annoys me to no end.

I am so pathetic that I still haven't thrown these bags away. I don't know why. Perhaps I could re-use for next year's birthday?

Even better, I should use them for lunch bags when the kids get to school. I'm sure Jackson would love to bring the Elmo bag that I still have from his first Christmas.

Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Bag Conservationists unite.

Jenibelle said...

Guilty on bag writing...I did not realize what a HUGE faux pas I was comitting. I stand whipped naked and contrite.

When sweet Noe is friendless and in need of organizational activities, point her south. My closet is a man-made disaster. or woman made to tell the truth.

Thanks for the giggle.

Tara said...

I suppose you could always take the polk-a-dots to a knew level a'la white out. So many uses for white out - truly inspired. Poor Erik B.