Sunday, August 23, 2009

To Err Is Human, To Plan a Bad Surprise for Your Wife Is Not a Good Idea and Very Undivine

You will all remember the story of my husband's recent suit purchase. Mm-hmm. Well shortly after that purchase, my husband discovered that the Men's Wearhouse was having a sale: buy one, get one for $100. Needless to say, he phoned the store and squared away the issue toute de suite. We drove up the next day to select his second suit. I was totally on board with this, because now he was getting $1500 worth of suits for only $600. He will wear at least one of these suits when he is buried, and since we are planning a long and healthy life together, I feel this was money well-spent. Also, as soon as he found out, he called Paige to tell her the good news. I kid you not. And she suggested he get a summer suit. He was thrilled with the idea.

The suits are tailored, and we are expecting them via UPS by Thursday of this past week. They never show up. I start panicking, recalling our recent home invasion. I begin to think that someone is watching our home and stealing from us at every opportunity. I call the Men's Wearhouse on Saturday, and after checking the tracking numbers, they assure me it was delivered on Thursday. I am angry at the oddly effeminate clerk, even though it's not his fault. I am less than polite. I spend my entire morning sick over the theft. I finally meet up with my husband in a neighboring town where he is preparing to march in a local parade. I can hardly stand the angst. I tell him my suspicions and how sick I am.

*blink*blink*blink*

"Baby. They came. I hid them and was going to put one on Sunday morning to surprise you."



Sure enough, there in the garage amidst my potato pearls and red wheat is a box from the Men's Wearhouse. Mm-hmm.

I call the extremely effeminate salesclerk back and apologize profusely for my rudeness. I tell him he can stop trying to track my package, as my husband received it and was planning to surprise me. Mr. Effeminate immediately takes my side and says, "That was a VERY BAD surprise! VERY BAD!!" I tell him I completely agree, and that I love his shoes.

But seriously, how can you stay mad at this:


Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln. He tried them on today and then made it up to me by allowing me to photograph him in the lost-no-more suits. Back up off the screen, ladies. He's a kept man.



Also, he is awesome because of this:
Referencing the earlier break-in, you will recall my phone was stolen. I resist change. I loathe it, actually. I am a creature of habit if ever there was one. So having to get a new phone was torture for me. I loved my ancient Motorola. Yes, it is thicker than a quarter pounder with cheese, but I love it. So my finely-clad man went on Ebay and found the same ancient model. (Yes, I did inspect it thoroughly to make sure we didn't just buy my actual phone from the thieves themselves. It was missing a key scratch on the antenna. I know these things.)
Anyway. I am happy to have "my" phone back. I know which buttons to push and how it works. I am happy my husband, in spite of his "surprise" of $600 being flushed down the toilet, looks so damn good and is equally as happy.
Life is good again.

24 comments:

Paige said...

WOW. Lookin' good. yeah, I'm not good with surprises at all. I would have done the exact same thing as you with the package!

I'm horrified by your phone. I bet Skip could find you a really cool one that comes with that cool, large bag on your shoulder. My super cool uncle had one in 1985.

diane said...

Very GQ. I like the ties.

I still can't figure out my new phone.

katyvee said...

Handsome hubby. Lame phone.
But glad both you make you so happy!

Christie said...

I'd say he made up for it, all right. Although, one could wager that seeing him in those suits might have been enough without the phone...

I'm just saying.

Clair said...

At first I thought you had your own story about a costume jewelry gift. I'm glad to find out that it's not the case. I like the part about the effeminent clerk. "very bad surprise!" I'm going to use that next time I get a rhinestone necklace on a gold plated chain. So let me get this straight- since Skip already bought a $500 suit before the sale, the store let him get a second for $100? OR did he have to buy two more suits? Simplified- Does he have 2 new suits or 3? Glad to hear about the phone- that is very sweet of Skip to search ebay for your exact model.

the wrath of khandrea said...

two new suits, clair. the sale actually started the day he purchased his first suit. mr. big stuff forgot to mention it to us.
he was probably too busy trying to figure out how to shut me up.

Robin said...

Did he wear the suit in the parade? What did he wear in the parade? Not that I want to know, just that you probably have a picture, right? And if you did have a picture you would post it, right?

The Prestwich's said...

I gotta say it, you do have good taste in...um, suits (and phones).

Lauren in GA said...

You are cracking me up with the multiple use of the, "Mm-hmmm."

You are a good woman to call back and apologize.

Don't worry...I backed up off of the screen...

...I mean, after I got a really good look...

He looks very, very, handsome, Mm-hmmm.

That is love...finding you that phone..."thicker than a quarter pounder with cheese" you kill me.

Brynne said...

Who wouldn't forgive a man that looks that good in suit?! :) Worth every penny, all 6,000 of them!

gab said...

My guess is that you ripped the suits off him and took some "memorable" non-suit photos with your phone. (It DOES take photos, right?)

Lisa-Marie said...

I think your phone is fancier and skinnier than mine! Don't tell Paige.

Nice suits, Skip. Now, where's your comment with some funny log in name?!?!?

Tristan said...

600$ for 2 great suits is awesome! And he looks fantastic in them! I love that you were freaking out about them not coming. I think it is sweet that he wanted to surprise you!

That phone would drive me nuts but it is so you! So I'm glad you were able to find its equal to replace the stolen one.

Kimberly said...

Wow, if you don't mind me saying.
Gab, no way does that phone have a camera.

Two named brand suits at MW $600. Phone call to MW to berate staff for location of lost suits, $2.85. Look on angry wife's face when she realized how hot husband looked in suits, X-rated said...

Come on now, can a brother get a break? I say that with all the money I saved on the suits, plus the fact that I wanted to surprise her should count for more than what you guys are giving me credit for. Not to mention the ridicule and straight out mockery I endured trying to find this phone for her (apparently it's one step up from the prop phone that Rico Tubbs used on Miami Vice). I think that after all of this I should get a little love from the blog crew. On another note, why don't you guys as my loving wife about the cruel joke she played on us Sunday night at supper time.

HappyBack said...

I think with a less neurotic wife, that would have been a very nice surprise.

Lauren in GA said...

I betcha when the angry, yet gorgeous wife saw you in those suits she tried to shuck you like a piece of corn...

oh, *ahem* sorry...that was inappropriate of me...

I truly enjoyed your reference to Rico Tubbs...now that was priceless.

jessica said...

I hate surprises but secretly want them anyway...

Those suits are FABULOUS and worth every penny spent and rude comment made to the sales clerk.

Jenibelle said...

Yowza....you got your cute little self one hot soldier there. I'm fanning myself. (a little validation never hurt anyone).

Okay...so the germaphobe in me wants to know how you disinfected that USED phone.

lisamarie said...

skip - i see no problem with the surprise at all. I find it quite thoughtful and loving and thoroughly echo the sentiments of happyback.

on the other hand, what in the hell are you thinking about the phone? you're enabling her you know.

enabler.

martha corinna said...

He does look pretty fabulous.

And congratulations on the phone. Remember when I told you I left mine in the rain, well apparently mine is so old that they don't make them anymore nor do they sell them on ebay, so I had to break down and get a new phone. And guess what, I actually like it, it takes video, plays books for me while I fold clothes, it actually calls people. Maybe I'll pretend that this was all part of my master plan for the the last 6 years.

Tara said...

Too funny. I don't remember you ever being one for a surprise. Did he not know this about you??? It's a good thing he looks hot in his suit - $600 down and a major panic to boot.

Rynell said...

I am a package tracker myself. I would have gone crazy with worry about the suits not showing up. Your hubby makes those suits looks great!
All's well that ends well.

Ilene said...

A kept man, indeed.

We gotta keep 'em happy so they don't mind when the neurotic side of us rears its ugly head, right?