Monday, August 17, 2009

Shallow and Insignificant, with Bad Pictures.

So. I've recently tried a new curlier approach with my hair. Frankly, you people have made me blush with your inordinate amount of compliments. Thank you very much. Just be glad you are not my husband, though, because here's how the compliments played out there:

Yesterday, I straightened my hair again for the first time in months.
B: Babe, I really like your hair straight.
Me: Thanks.
Me: Wait. Are you saying you DON'T like it curly?
B: *Blink*Blink*Blink*
Me: Your tone implied that maybe you PREFER the straight to the curly. Is that the case?
B: No? *Blink*Blink*
Me: So you like it both straight AND curly?
B: Yes? *Blink* Blink*
Me: You like it better straight though?
B: Yes?
Me: Oh. Okay.

See how difficult it can be being married to me??

Anyway. I have put together for your reading pleasure a tutorial on how I do my hair. In case you care. First of all, you have to go to a great stylist who does NOT work at Fantastic Sam's. I finally learned that ten bucks will get you just that... a ten dollar haircut. Pay for quality. Get some long layers cut in, and some side-swept bangs.

Then:



Brush only the bangs over to the side, and define your part. Make sure you have a pained look on your face while doing so.


Get some good frizz-controlling mousse (thanks for the tip, Diane). Scrunch the mousse all throughout your wet hair. I do it upside down to loosen the hair a bit.



Then I pin back my bangs with a bobby pin, so they will dry sleeker. Following that, I release many pent-up frustrations by scrunching my hair in what appears to be a fit of rage.




Then you have to wait and let your hair air dry. This is better than blowdrying, but you have to plan it into your routine. I like to give about an hour, but sometimes I can only spare 15 minutes. In the meantime, I get dressed, apply makeup, eat breakfast, and listen to music.



Once my hair is only slightly damp, I finish off with a light blowdry. Reminiscent of the 80's I also do this upside down. Unlike the 80's, however, I don't shellac it while doing so. Blowdrying upside down gives it more body. Scrunching while blowdrying gives it more curl.



When you finish that step, you will look like this:
This is acceptable only if your last name is Frankenstein. Otherwise, it's time to tame.


I use a one-and-a-half inch barrel curling iron. I only curl the top layers, to keep it looking more natural and less Pollyanna. I spray my hair with hairspray before I curl, which prevents the nasty sticky curls you get when you spray after curling. I curl some towards my face and some away from my face, again to keep it looking natural. I NEVER smile while doing this part.


Then I take the bobby pin out of my bangs, and smooth them with the iron.


Lastly, I separate the curls, which step apparently makes me look constipated.







My hairdresser once used the phrase "back comb" in my presence. ONCE. Back comb and "bump-it" just don't work for me. But a little height does add body and volume, so I take a teeny bit in the front, lift it, and spray.




So here you have it. I can see a few other spots that need attention here, but you get the general idea. It actually takes me less time to do this than it does to straighten.





So if you all want to look exactly like me, now you know how. I am considering starting a small army of hair clones. Let me know if you are interested in enlisting.

22 comments:

Christie said...

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL HAIR INSTRUCTIONS.

I will be attempting this hairdo in, say, about a year when my stinkin' hair is finally long enough. You are a rockstar and I want to be the first one cloned to look just like you.

Except can I still keep my boobs though? :-)

the wrath of khandrea said...

ouch.

i will charge admission into my hair clone army so i can afford to go buy my own boobs, thank you very much.

Ilene said...

What's a girl to do when she has straight hair?

Seriously, I try scrunching products and all I get is straight hair clumped together.

So jealous. You keep working it. Husband may not like the curly as much as the straight but your blogging public adores it. Now who do you love better?

By the way, with that hair, no one is looking at your boobs whether they be big or not big. Me who has boring straight short hair relies on my chest to cover the deficiency of my hair's wow factor.

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

You know if I do my hair like this then we will probably REALLY look like twins, since people always thought that we looked like each other.

Kimberly said...

Oh yeah, and cute hair!

Kimberly said...

I found this strangely entertaining.

Tristan said...

Loved all the pictures and the different expressions in each of them!

I'm so glad you are not getting your hair cut/colored at Fantastic Sams. Our friendship may have had to be ended on that one ;) You hair looks lovely! I especially like the highlights. Does good things for your skin tone.

Tristan said...

One more thing... Do you think it was just the fact that you hadn't straightened your hair in while, is why Skip likes it better that way?

Cuz when I do my hair curly for a while and then straighten it, Ryan and other people say how much they like it straight. Then the same goes for when I do it straight for a while and then all of a sudden do it curly. Usually I go back and forth between the 2 except for when I'm sick or preggo. Then it is curly A LOT. K this was probably too much but what can I say?? Hair is my thing!!

The guy with no room at the bathroom counter said...

Straight hair, curly hair, big boobs, little boobs. It is a no win situation over here. I need to go buy another suit.

Clair said...

For all that work you deserve to look sexy. Waaaaaaaaaay too high maintenance for me. And it takes longer to make it straight? What does it look like normally?

Lauren in GA said...

I love how Skip changes his name to suit the post...

heh, heh, heh...get it Skip? "SUIT" the post?

You look fantastic. Even though this was an instructional post it make me laugh. You are a very funny girl.

I agree about places like Fantastic Sams...when it comes to hair you really do get what you paid for.

Okay, now I know what to do...

Pained look...got it
Fit of rage...got it

Now, how do I get dimples and bone structure like yours?

D-dawg said...

LOL at "the guy with no room " and Stie. Andrea! This post is hilarious. Thanks for the tutorial. Did you know that I actually have curly hair?? But when it's short like it is now it looks like crap curly. So I have straighten it everyday and it's awful. When it is long again I will try your step by step instructions. You looks gor-geous!

katyvee said...

Wow. Stellar photographer.. who was it?? They really captured the emotion of "doing ones hair." Way to keep it fresh. I had a friend who used to dye her hair different colors just to keep her husbands attention. I have personally resorted to side swept bangs, and a low pony/bun.. for so very many years-- my husband would likely not recognize me otherwise. (Oh.. and I totally get my hair cut at Great Clips. Am I still allowed to comment?? I figure if I save enough from my $9.99 haircuts-- I can save enough for my OWN boobs one day.)

Jessica said...

Dying over this post and Skip's name. Dying.

Robin said...

Skip needs to get a blog. He is funny.

Have you used a defuser on your blow dryer? They work wonders! Grab a section of hair and shove it onto the defuser with medium hot heat and then just as it is getting dry hit it with a blast of cool air. Do this upside down. It really brings out the curl and volume.

diane said...

You know how I love shallow and insignificant. I wish I could clone your hair. I have frog fur. It's sad. Great tutorial.

Lisa-Marie said...

I'm thinkin' this routine won't do much for my hair. But, you, you are hot!

And it was good for a laugh, anyway.

♥Shally said...

Loved the tutorial. You should put it on youtube to compete with the Asian girl that you watch to get the smokey eye look. :)

martha corinna said...

Super Sexy hair.

You know what happens if I blow dry my hair and scrunch it? Huge gigantic Diana Ross hair.

Huge gigantic Diana Ross hair is usually what happens to my hair no matter what I do and I am finally at a place where I can live with that.

At our anniversary dinner my husband told me that he is grateful I am so low maintenance when it comes to hair. I'm not sure if that was a compliment or a back handed criticism (of course I hadn't brushed my hair that day and it was in a pony tail so...you take your pick).

HappyBack said...

wait, can you show me that again? I don't follow.

oh and big boobs sag. no defeating gravity.

jessica said...

That is a lot of work! No wonder you look so fabulous! I love your curls...seriously...I'm jealous. If I had hair like that I wouldn't have to go so short.

calibosmom said...

I cut off my long hair to save on hair product so I can save up for my big boob lift. It's true-big boobs sag BUT my hair only takes about two minutes to style. Tit for Tat! HA! Ya look fab!!!