Wednesday, December 19, 2007

a poor idiot from watts

i'm pretty sure this was a racist encounter. i'm not positive, probably because i'm a rich smart girl from boston, immune to these things. but it went a little something like this:

skip is at the dentist, wearing his uniform because it's the middle of a work day. first off, the dentist begins complaining about having to go to his son's wedding in a week. skip mentions our anniversary is coming up in a week. the dentist replies,
"what idiot gets married in december?"

awkward silence. the dentist then says, "SO! i see you're in the army. did you grow up poor?"

awkward silence again. only momentarily, though, as skip explains to doctor dingaling that no, actually, he didn't. both of his parents had decent jobs, and they did well, especially considering he grew up in los angeles.

"oh! los angeles?" asks dr. d. "what part? watts?"

at this point, skip realizes he should bite his tongue...figuratively, of course, since the dentist's hands are in his mouth. although this is the very reason he is biting his tongue. something about facing off with the guy holding the tools and anesthesia seems questionable.

but who says stuff like that? i'm beginning to wonder if the guy has a white hood to go along with that white coat he's wearing. in less than 3 breaths, the man implied my husband was an idiot, poor, and from the "city most likely to riot" in california. what's with the stereotyping? i think i'll send him a christmas card this year, complete with his very own noose ornament to hang on his tree.

10 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Time for a new dentist. Can you chalk up all of those lovely dummy qualities to living in the backwoods?

Start a smear campaign. Begin with his name.

martha corinna said...

What kind of 'professional' that depends on the money of those who think talks like that. Do you live in a small town (not that racism is confined to small towns)? I grew up in a small town in Minnesota and there was only one dentist. He was an alcoholic and would frequent the bar across from his office during lunch. One day, when I was 13, I had an appointment after lunch. Lucky me. He pulled my 4 back mollers that didn't need to be pulled. It is a very long sordid tale and the only good thing I can say about the whole experience is that at least I didn't have to have my wisdom teeth pulled.
By the way, I loved your comment on my blog.

calibosmom said...

Holy cow! What a loser!!! He must have been having a crapy day...at least I hope so. I'd hate to think he's like that all the time! Hey, I was married in December too and its a lovely month to get married-full of cheer and merriment!

Heidiram said...

My husband has an intense FEAR of Idaho. Maybe from all the media, but he thinks he is going to be hung by some KKK or Aryan Nation dude if he dares cross into the Idaho border.

It's most definitely time to find a new dentist.

Marie said...

So are you switching to a new dentist? My brother is in the military and it seems like he has to go to whomever they assign him. Is it true? Are you really stuck with him? Maybe you're meant to be his patient to show him a little love and compassion goes a long way. Hilarious, jaw-dropping post.

the wrath of khandrea said...

heidi... skip and i both had the same fear of coming to northern idaho. there really still is the whole white supremecist movement, it's just further north. you know, close to the canadian border so they can run safely across should our country ever decide to pursue them.
marie- the army does pretty much tell you where you can go. we just have to see if there's another provider in the area who accepts their insurance. there probably is.

Jessica said...

Flabbergasted.

HILLARY said...

Holy Heck! I work for an oral surgeon. I think I would deck him if he ever muttered words like that. He wouldn't, for which I am grateful. Ask around for a recommendation for a new guy! Unbelievable!!!!

the wrath of khandrea said...

easy there happyback... this is a family friendly blog. (most of the time). i'm the only one that gets to throw out occasional gratuitous profanity.
and don't describe ghetto stuff from a white guy's persepective. it's weird.

HappyBack said...

I'm from the streets, baby. I gots street credential. I lived in the ghettos of West Palm Beach for a year.

And what profanity? Since when did "ass" become profanity? Shiiiii-whoops! Sorry, that one IS profanity.