1. apparently, the object is NOT to line them all up in an interesting formation and then knock one down to observe a brilliant chain reaction.
2. contrary to what i learned in many boyz-in-the-hood-esque movies, you don't have to smoke chronic while you play.
3. also, contrary to what i learned in said movie genres, it's a bad idea to throw down your winning domino and yell "DOMINO, *#@!#"
4. scoring is done by one posessing secret cult knowledge, or a basic understanding of korean charicature:
5. there is a lot of strategy involved. my strategy is to match one number to another. apprently this makes me a bad player.
6. my husband is highly amused by the phrase, "huh? i don't get it."
7. sometimes, a well-meaning husband may not understand that by playing at the highest skill level possible, he is not actually teaching his wife in-depth strategies. he is confusing her while running up a really high score for him.
8. although, according to the scoresheet, he may not be running up a really high score. he may actually be writing a thesis in korean.
9. sometimes, a crafty wife can play stupid long enough to actually get good at a game. watch out, b.
10. there is a whole separate language for this game. and contrary to the approach i was amusing myself with, it's not ebonics.
so. all in all, a fun experience. i didn't win, but i did learn several new things. the best part is how much fun we have together. i can sacrifice an occasional win for a fun-filled shellacking.
7 comments:
I love the Boyz in the hood reference. It takes me back.
This post makes me want to learn to play dominoes.
OK, maybe tonight is the night for the email.
Yeah, I can see how a game like that might lead to some cursing.
Maybe it's time to switch to connect four. It's low pressure.
Oh you need to play 'chicken foot' with the dominos. Or 'mexican train'. I love playing dominos. David and I have played hundreds of hours of dominos into the wee hours of the morning. He always kills me, but I'm not very competitive so it's ok.
ps Tommee rides the bus too. I HATE it. There are so many things that happen that I'm sure I don't even know about. I'll probably end up driving her to school at some point. Way to take it to the next level. Be that mother bear.
We invited a new member family over for FHE several months ago. You should have seen their nervous laughter and their big eyes looking at one another to see if we were serious when we said we wanted to play dominoes for our FHE activity. Apparently in their country (Columbia), dominoes is a game reserved only for the %$&@ drunk guys that waste their time away on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings playing the game. They were astonished that the ward mission leader and his wife would invite them to participate in such a sinful activity. Needless to say, they were converted and ended up buying their own set of dominoes. Once you learn just the regular game of dominoes, you've got to learn how to play Mexican Train version of dominoes. It's a lot of fun.
Hey, where can I rent this boyz-in-da-hood domino movie? It sounds totally badass.
strategy? in dominoes? hm. who knew!? you'll have to give me the lowdown sometime, should you ever figure it out.
Post a Comment