Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Take on Must-or-Must-Not-See TV

It's really chilly today. Raw, rainy and cold. I once got frostbite on a couple of my toes, and now if I don't make a huge effort to keep them warm, then they turn white on me and I can't feel them. This is a bad thing. So in order to prevent that from happening today, I am curled up under two blankets on my super comfy sofa, enjoying the fireplace and contemplating a nap.


I'll enjoy it while I can... it doesn't happen often, and truth be told, it's all about to change come January. Stay tuned for that news.


So what else. How about if we discuss the new fall TV shows? I'm not a huge TV watcher, but there were a few coming out this season that we wanted to try. Plus, we needed something to fill the void left by LOST. Here's my verdict on each (and for the record, B feels the same way as I do about every show but one. See if you can guess which one he disagrees with me on):

1. Hawaii Five-O: We made it through 20 minutes of one episode. What were we thinking by wasting those 20 precious minutes? I'm sure we were looking for a LOST fix since Jin is one of the leading characters. But the acting was horrible, and the entire crime was so conveniently easy to solve, that there was no point in finishing the episode. Or watching any others, for that matter. Ixnay on the Awaii Five O-Hay.



2. UnderCovers: We have seen all of the episodes of this so far. We figured it had Boris Kodjoe for me and Gugu Mbatha-Raw for Skip. That was a good call. The show itself, sadly, is a bit lame. It's predictable, cheesy, and unrealistic. But they keep teasing us with these red herrings of a subplot... so we keep tuning in. At least it's good-clean-fun, and did I mention it has Boris Kodjoe for me and Gugu Mbatha-Raw for Skip??



3. The Event: Touted as the lovechild of LOST and 24, we were promised mystery, intrigue, and compelling story lines. We've watched every episode, and have yet to have our expectations met. It's like they're trying too hard. Laura Innes is back, not as a physically disabled lesbian doctor, but as an imprisoned extra terrestrial biological entity (EB for short). It's us vs. the EB's and frankly, we are fairly incompetent. I mean, we look good doing it, thanks to some fairly attractive main cast members, but still... we pretty much don't stand a chance. Again, we are less than impressed with the acting on this one, although the storyline does have potential. We'll keep plugging along for a few more weeks and then decide if we should fire it like a useless Apprentice.

4. Modern Family: I realize this premiered last season, but it's new to us this year. I cannot get over how hilarious it is! It's politically incorrect in the most entertainingly humorous ways. It's quirky, twisted, and dare I say accurate in so many of its stories, that you can't pull yourself away from it. Plus, it's a great plug for Colombia, because if all its people are as drop-dead stunning as Sofia Vergara, well then who really cares about all the drug lords and political unrest??


5. No Ordinary Family: This is one we watch with Mika. I like it because it's appropriate for him, and it's hard to find shows like that after 8:00 at night. The premise is fun- this "ordinary" family suddenly find themselves with super-powers. The plots, while silly and at times a bit of a snooze, are at least free of gratuitous sex and violence. It's comfortable to watch, the acting is decent, and it gives my poor tween a chance to watch some nighttime TV that doesn't involve the words "documentary" or "biopic".


So there you have it. That's what we've been watching or not watching. Can you figure out which one my husband feels differently about than I do? Do you even really care? It's okay. No offense taken.

13 comments:

Jessica said...

I watch zero of those shows. Modern family looks fun but I hate that I've missed the beginning. I need them to come out with season one on DVD.

I can comment on non-sleazy reality tv (oxymoron)?

Lauren in GA said...

I am guessing that Skip does not like Modern Family? My reason for guessing that one is because you didn't say, "We cannot get over how hilarious it is!" you said, "I cannot get over how hilarioius it is!" Of course, I could be wrong...because what man wouldn't like a show with Sofia Vergara.

I haven't seen UnderCovers...but every time I see a commercial I say to Mike, "Man, those two are good looking." I pretend that I look like the wife. I have brown hair, she has brown hair...we look like total twinners, right?

Yeah, don't answer that.

ABSOLUTELY NORMAL CHAOS said...

We like to watch Castle and Good Wife. Modern family is very funny though. Mostly we only watch a show if it is on at 9. and I am in my bed watching it.

Christie said...

Of those you mentioned, I only watch Modern Family and it is AWE-SOME. LOVE it. Laugh and laugh every week. It's the best. I'm also guessing that's the one Skip doesn't like?

What's happening in January? How can you keep a sista in suspense?

Tristan said...

I don't watch any of these shows so I have no feedback for you. Sorry ;-)

Which one does Skip not like?

Hillary said...

"we're going to be the only "gays" to raise an underachieving asian child" modern family is so stinkin funny. we laugh out loud and rewind just to see it again!! it's a can't miss!! We do like the "middle", too. I think that one hits close to home!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

I LOVE Modern Family! I couldn't bear even trying The Event... Lost was my fave, but it left me so utterly disappointed that I don't want to watch any of its offspring.

lishajeanne said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Modern Family. Makes me laugh super loud every episode. Phil is almost as painfully funny as Steve Carrell in The Office. Watched the Undercovers twice...ditched it. I too like The Good Wife and I agree with Trinity...Loved Lost, hated the end, won't even try The Event.

April said...

We like Nikita, It's like Dark Angel combined with Alias.

Anna said...

LOVE, LOVE, absolutely love Modern Family. Thank heavens we have a DVR so we can rewind and watch what we couldn't hear because we're laughing so loud.

The Event didn't live up to the hype.

Like Castle a lot.

Jake said...

We started watching No Ordinary Family with the older two kids. They like it and I do too.

So far...

Linsey said...

I've seen none of these. With grad school I have not allowed myself to add any new tv shows. But, I feel like maybe I'm not missing that much?

jessica said...

We had to let go of under covers and Hawaii 5-0, too predictable. Still watching the event, and LOVING Modern Family! We also love Raising Hope...you have to watch it...seriously you will die it is so hilarious. Okay so you won't die but your guts will hurt from laughing so hard.