If you were one of those unfortunate enough to be tortured by our way-too-long Christmas DVD this year, you will perhaps recognize this song. That is assuming that you sat through the entire barrage of music and photos.
John Mayer has this fabulous voice. It's seductive and compelling, and he has a way of making you want to experience everything he's singing about. This one hit me particularly hard, at least the way I interpreted it.
*Disclaimer: I can only offer my own interpretation of songs. Who knows if I understand them to mean what the artist actually intended. If nothing more, you at least get my twist on it.
To me, this song is a journey. I feel like he starts off complaining about life, and wanting to get off his proverbial train. Been there, felt that. Like those days of "Please God, not one more poopy diaper; no more late night wakings... I MUST have sleep..." Following me? When life has felt like it's hurtling out of control and I wanted nothing more than to get off that ride. How many times have I ever felt "This is NOT what I signed up for"? Be it parenting, marriage, career... my train ride has at times been one I have wanted to stop.
But the song takes an interesting twist. Suddenly, he can't take the speed. The train is going so fast, and he's missing things along the way. A wise man gives him this advice: "Turn 68, you'll renegotiate. Don't stop this train; don't for a minute change the place you're in."
And that's where I am right now. Parenting has ceased to be overwhelming to me, and has become a challenging journey that I want to enjoy. Marriage is a blessing; every moment I can manage to savor is worth the effort. So whatever your situation is right now, take a minute to renegotiate and find out how you can either enjoy the ride, or make the ride enjoyable.
Download the cut off the album "Continuum".
10 comments:
Hmm... not getting your links on the Tunesdays? Just a box where there should be something with a little square with a square, circle and triangle in it.
I so needed this today. I have already cried like 3 times because I feel so overwhelmed. maybe I should just sit, holding my fussy baby and take deep breaths for a while and meditate on the truth that this will be over before I know it and I won't be so overwhelmed any more. That I should look at my crazy life and embrace it.
thanks.
Definitely my favorite song on that album.
Love John Mayer! I hear his fantastic live!
You know that John broke up with Jennifer because he loves me. It's true.
"fabulous voice...seductive and compelling..and he has a way of making you want to...."
'experience everything he's singing' is not what I would have said right there... unless it was 'your body is a wonderland.' eh hem.
Who knew that your Tunesday would be just the ticket for me tonight? I'm going to go watch my kiddos sleeping for a few minutes now and enjoy the ride.
THANKS!
And, just so you know....I DID make it all the way through your Christmas CD and enjoyed every second of it. If I remember correctly, it even made me cry. Sheesh!
I love how you said, "Take a minute to renegotiate and find out how you can either enjoy the ride or make the ride more enjoyable."
I like your interpretation of the song. I have been so irritable lately...I needed this.
LOVE HIM! He's kind of quirky in a good way.
Listened to this and caught up on Martha's blog...I'm all relaxed and inspired now. Thanks tons.
Post a Comment