Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Little B.M.

So. In case you're wondering, this post is not about poop. B.M. stands for "Brag Moment". I'm sure a poop post would be more entertaining, but what is the blog for if not to exploit yourself and talents from time to time?
Feast your eyes on exhibit A:


Big whoop, says you. Well... let me just say that I started this little piece de resistance (please pronounce with a sultry French accent) about 5 or 6 years ago. I got a significant chunk of it done, and then threw it in a box with the rest of my life and forgot about it. The other day, I was looking at our drab green bedspread, thinking it looked an awful lot like an Army uniform, and decided it was time for a change.

I went to the garage, dug through a box, and found this unfinished business. I zipped around on the sewing machine for a bit, and presto! I now have this clever little log-cabin duvet cover.

There are plenty of flaws in it, to be sure. And I didn't have enough fabric to finish the log cabin pattern all the way around, so I had to do some improvising on the edges. But all in all, I'm pleased.
So there you have it. Secretly, I long to be domestic.
Nah. Just kidding. Secretly, I long to be rich enough to buy all the cute things I want.

27 comments:

♥Shally said...

If you post about poop a lot, someone you know could get mad that you get comments when you write about poop...just so you know.

I also started a bed spread 5-6 years ago... however in my case the OTHER meaning of B.M. took over, and now all I do is change diapers.

Annie said...

This is me bowing before your domestic excellence. Really. Love it.

p.s. It's hard typing from a bowing posture.

HILLARY said...

I used to dabble in trying to make quilts. I would love to make one for each of my kids and myself. You should be VERY proud of yourself. Can I send you my unfinished projects? My husband says he won't move them again!

gab said...

I am immmmmpressed! That took a lot of patience.

Anna said...

It looks beautiful and I am very impressed! I shouldn't be surprised after seeing you uber cute scrapbooks. You got the knack for things like that.

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

WOW!!! I had no idea. Super impressive.

Lisa-Marie said...

You've been holding out on us all along! Who knew? Way to go. Really. It is very pretty.

And I thought you liked military uniforms? I guess you like them OFF better than on huh?!?!?

Jenibelle said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!! One of my very favorite hobbies is sewing and quilting, so it is great to see others be creative!! WAY TO GO!! Pat yourself on the back, you have just created an heirloom your kids can fight about someday!

Skip said...

Zipped, presto, improvising on the edge...there you have it,I'm pleased and a very lucky man!

Tristan said...

Look at you go!! I am impressed! Looks good!

Bridget said...

I am totally impressed. I have no talent in that department whatsoever.

My maiden name is McGregor. I had no middle name as a child. When I see B.M. I get a sick feeling in my stomach, like I'm getting ready to be made fun of as a kid on the playground for my disgusting initials.

Christie said...

I didn't picture you as the sewing type for some reason. Not sure WHAT the sewing type looks like, but I didn't think it was you. Way to surpass my summations of your mad skillz. Want to make me one?

HappyBack said...

My B.M.'s are a B.M.

Katie said...

ahh, to actually make and FINISH things? what's that about?

I nothing nothing of it.

Celia Fae said...

Love Shack! You are totally setting the scene for the romantic liaisons! I really needed a picture of that. Is it satin on the other side?

Lorena said...

That is so wonderful! I wish I could do that...I just go to Target.

Jen -n- Jase & kids said...

I clearly have missed out on alot of info over all the years we did not keep in touch. (Don't be offended....) I was shocked you even owned a sewing machine. Clearly you learned well, and have added something you can enjoy and appreciate to your home. So- When did you learn to sew?
Well done. This is why I read up - to get clued in to your life the away it is Today. :o)

diane said...

Your crap is much cuter than my crap!
Love the blue and white.

Heidiram said...

I am highly impressed. Wow. Simply amazing!

Hazen5 said...

Love it! You did an amazing job. You are turning into a domestic Diva like it or not!

Ilene said...

You're so inspiring... but not quite enough for me to finish up my sewing projects. My mom will be here in a few weeks and so I will play the I-just-had-a-baby card and make her finish my projects.

Clair said...

I, for one, am relieved (no pun intended) that this was not another post about a tactile preschool project.

The quilt is wonderful! No small accomplishment there!

Rynell said...

You ARE a domestic goddess.

lisha said...

Wow I am proud to see the long standing Ockey tradition of quilting did not pass our generation. I try but I am not so good. I have a quilt in a box somewhere in Squares that I worked on all summer and then put away about 5 years ago. Perhaps you have inspired me to finish it. Someday...

Desi said...

That quilt is awesome! That's all there is to it. Totally worth a brag moment.

I am SO not a domestic diva, so I too would be sharing my accomplishments with the world!

Carrie Ann said...

no... you brag away. I have never finished a quilt in my life and I have started quite a few. AND yours is GORGEOUS... like you bought it (which is the ultimate quilt compliment).

Jaime Mormann Richardson said...

Great job, Andrea! I love it. You're hilarious!